Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 6 series
Did this part just fall off? Was it stolen? What?

I have a 645. It's about 8 years old. I got it new, and it still drives well.

Today I noticed that the black covers that house/surround the fog lights and shield the interior of the car, are missing. Both sides are missing.

It seems odd to have both sides missing. I believe it must have happened over the last week, since I periodically check my car.

Now, I haven't bumped into anything, but I don't know if anyone has bumped into my car so hard that the covers would fall off. I think that would do some damage that I would have noticed. No damage.

I also don't recall going over major potholes, but I don't remember all major potholes I've driven over. This seems like the likely scenario.

So....

Over time, does this part fall off? What are the likelihood that the parts were stolen? But, that doesn't make sense either. Why would you steal such a cheap part(s)? Do people do that?

Perhaps a much larger question, my car is about 8 years old. 645/650s have been around long enough so that there's a number of them on the road, and BMW has discontinued the design-look (for a new one). Does this mean I can expect thieves pilfering parts off my car that BMW no longer makes?

thanks.

Oh, and does this problem need to be urgently fixed? Or can I wait?

thanks again.
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdriver View Post
I have a 645. It's about 8 years old. I got it new, and it still drives well.

Today I noticed that the black covers that house/surround the fog lights and shield the interior of the car, are missing. Both sides are missing.

It seems odd to have both sides missing. I believe it must have happened over the last week, since I periodically check my car.

Now, I haven't bumped into anything, but I don't know if anyone has bumped into my car so hard that the covers would fall off. I think that would do some damage that I would have noticed. No damage.

I also don't recall going over major potholes, but I don't remember all major potholes I've driven over. This seems like the likely scenario.

So....

Over time, does this part fall off? What are the likelihood that the parts were stolen? But, that doesn't make sense either. Why would you steal such a cheap part(s)? Do people do that?

Perhaps a much larger question, my car is about 8 years old. 645/650s have been around long enough so that there's a number of them on the road, and BMW has discontinued the design-look (for a new one). Does this mean I can expect thieves pilfering parts off my car that BMW no longer makes?

thanks.

Oh, and does this problem need to be urgently fixed? Or can I wait?

thanks again.
I assume you mean the left and right square panels on either side of the lower grill?

I had to replace them on my '07. They clip in and I think they can come out over time. Replacements are about $25.00 ea at the dealer.

I put a small amount of glue in this time so they stay there.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
BMW are making parts for cars that were around in the 1970s & 1980s, hey may be ,along parts for cars a lot older too. Lack of availability is not going to be the driver for parts being stolen.
It seems like an odd piece to steal, usually the type of parts that get stolen are parts that's get damaged. It would be strange for these panels to get damaged without the fog lights getting damaged too, so if they were stolen surely they would have taken the fog lights too?

Those covers are about $25 each. Maybe the clips broke? Has the front end of the car ever been repaired? They might not have been refitted correctly then & eventually fell out?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
I assume you mean the left and right square panels on either side of the lower grill?

I had to replace them on my '07. They clip in and I think they can come out over time. Replacements are about $25.00 ea at the dealer.

I put a small amount of glue in this time so they stay there.
Dude, this link is F-ing awesome. Thanks.

Anyways, I mean the stuff around #2:

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/46/40

So 2 points to the fog light, you see the flat area and the housing immediately surrounding the fog light? Not exactly square.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but that's the thing I need replaced. It's just odd to me that they would both fall off. I think it's a bump in the road that did it, but I can't rule out crazy people. Someone brushed my car at work. At work!! You think the lot would be filled with careful and courteous professionals. Sigh.....

(I don't think the trim coming off is related to the bumper brush. The brush is too light to have lodged the trimming. But, you never know.)
Old 09-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
BMW are making parts for cars that were around in the 1970s & 1980s, hey may be ,along parts for cars a lot older too. Lack of availability is not going to be the driver for parts being stolen.
It seems like an odd piece to steal, usually the type of parts that get stolen are parts that's get damaged. It would be strange for these panels to get damaged without the fog lights getting damaged too, so if they were stolen surely they would have taken the fog lights too?

Those covers are about $25 each. Maybe the clips broke? Has the front end of the car ever been repaired? They might not have been refitted correctly then & eventually fell out?
Yes, thanks for that. I would think so too, but I had to ask. And people are f-ing weird. I bought some BMW valve caps just for kicks and put them on my car. One day I noticed that they were missing. So who knows? I figure some arts and crafts students thought the trim would be perfect for their art project. 8) (I live near a college.)
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
It takes some effort to get those out, so I think someone decided to borrow them from you. If they had been removed several times, the clips could have been damaged. You usually have to slide a screwdriver in the hole to remove them.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
I lost mine to a parking stop. I was in a parking spot waiting on curbside delivery. I knew I bumped the stop slightly but didn't think anything of it. The next morning when I went to jump in the car I looked down and notice the covers missing, but like rebel said they only $25, no biggie.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Coupe
I noticed the drivers side missing the other day, I think someone must not have $25 and needed one pretty bad.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
I pulled up to far on a curb one day, and did not notice, until I was backing out and heard the lip underneath catch on the curb. I grimaced then left. The next day I noticed the same part you are talking about missing from my passenger side. I thought abou tit and realized it may have popped out when I pulled out form that parking spot. I drove back up to where I had parked and sure enough it was in the bushes in front of where my car was sitting. It just popped out due to the flex in the bumper as i pulled away. I can imagine this happening pretty easy and not thinking about it, especially if you are leaving in a hurry.

PECK What kind of rims are those on your 6. Thoes are beuatiful!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 645 Coupe
houbmw-cm,

Thanks!

The wheels are 20" MRR GT-7
I got them from Bavarian X with Continental DWS tires mounted and balanced and shipped to my house for $2100.