Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I think BMW should try a modular architecture to the infotainment system. We have the performance products from BMW, they should also pioneer a tech products line.

What do I mean?

1) Make the navigation system a modular platform.
Individual pieces of the system are simple to install and get working. I would love to not have to regret not ticking the navigation option, and have it
installed later from BMW.

2) Remove the CRADLE and the BMW approved cabling
Its better to invest in some altered NFC based system. No cables no hassle. Backup and power would offer a USB jack, that can handle a smartphones
Integration.

3) Optimize APPs
GENIVI aims to provide a generic platform for infotainment in future vehicles that BMW and many other Manufacturers, OEMs and suppliers are part of. Like many of these alliances the jury is out if products will ever be released.

Next gen idrive is scheduled for 2014
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5 35i Premium
I didn't see the point of spending the money for the iPhone snap in adaptor, so I've been running my iPhone with no issues plugged into the USB port in the center armrest. This provides USB audio, charging, and works just fine with BMW apps. Since the new lightning connector also supports USB audio and charging, I'm assuming that everything should work exactly the same with the 5 as it does currently with the 4S. As mentioned, only people using the snap in cradle should have issues, and I'm sure BMW will release something for the 5 soon enough.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
I didn't see the point of spending the money for the iPhone snap in adaptor, so I've been running my iPhone with no issues plugged into the USB port in the center armrest. This provides USB audio, charging, and works just fine with BMW apps. Since the new lightning connector also supports USB audio and charging, I'm assuming that everything should work exactly the same with the 5 as it does currently with the 4S. As mentioned, only people using the snap in cradle should have issues, and I'm sure BMW will release something for the 5 soon enough.
It took them about 7 months to release the 4 cradle
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
They should just connect the iphone to the car via Wi-Fi.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Wouldn't use wifi highly unreliable in terms of establishing a secure, reliable connection. Something more along the lines of TramsferJet, or maybe NFC. With the advent of the incar 4g service, being standard kit, I think the best bet is too let the smartphone be only phone, while the car runs its own portable OS.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM

how is wifi not secure?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Wouldn't use wifi highly unreliable in terms of establishing a secure, reliable connection. Something more along the lines of TramsferJet, or maybe NFC. With the advent of the incar 4g service, being standard kit, I think the best bet is too let the smartphone be only phone, while the car runs its own portable OS.
Bluetooth is probably worse. Everything is connected by a simple 4 number pin.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Bluetooth is probably worse. Everything is connected by a simple 4 number pin.
which is almost always 0000
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Hey guys, new guy here. I just got a used 2011 135i without iDrive, just the combox and bluetooth phone connect. I have an iPhone 5 and when I plug it into the USB it works for a while and sounds great and then completely crashes out my entire radio. It almost seems like it is shorting out my radio and then it resets after a minute. I went to the Apple store to see if it might be the phone, they couldn't really find anything wrong with it. The tech did mention that the iPhone 5 does put out more power... 12 volts? versus 10. When I plug in an iPhone 4S, it works fine all day with no issues.

Has anyone seen this? Could it be the combox?

I'm really kicking myself for not trying to find a 1 with iDrive in it. I'll probably end up at my local car audio place to figure out the best bluetooth adapter for the USB plug in.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynernator View Post
Hey guys, new guy here. I just got a used 2011 135i without iDrive, just the combox and bluetooth phone connect. I have an iPhone 5 and when I plug it into the USB it works for a while and sounds great and then completely crashes out my entire radio. It almost seems like it is shorting out my radio and then it resets after a minute. I went to the Apple store to see if it might be the phone, they couldn't really find anything wrong with it. The tech did mention that the iPhone 5 does put out more power... 12 volts? versus 10. When I plug in an iPhone 4S, it works fine all day with no issues.

Has anyone seen this? Could it be the combox?

I'm really kicking myself for not trying to find a 1 with iDrive in it. I'll probably end up at my local car audio place to figure out the best bluetooth adapter for the USB plug in.
2 things you could try to narrow it down.

1. restore the phone back to factory settings and try again (if it works, then it was a phone issue)

2. use the old 4S sync cable and buy the dock-to-lightening adapter (if it works, then it was a cable issue)

If either doesn't work, then... I really don't know what to say
Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Thanks for the reply! The first option is what the Apple store did... it didn't work. The second option is what I tried today... Still didn't work.

Oh well, wish I could upgrade the stereo.