Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Question HELP, I am I crazy?

Hello All,

Yes, I'm new here. I'm not really a forum type guy but I have a quandary that I need help with, and yes it has to do with a Bimmer.

I found a BMW on craigslist. It's kind of a hard to find version so I'm really motivated (I WANT IT). But its about 1200 miles away. Here's my plan:

-Secure it with the owner with a down payment of some sort. (Thus far he seems trust worthy and is BMW guy (had two more, one of which look like a track car, in his driveway (in pictures sent))
-Fly down on a Friday or Saturday to see it/drive it in person.
-Pre-arrange to have a mechanic in the area do an inspection.
-And barring any major issues, buy the car and drive it back in two days. (if I can find a co-pilot I will, but it will ad to my costs)

I figure if it doesn't work out one way or another I'm only out a few hundred bucks in travel and time.

I accept the added cost of the trip.

Is this nuts? Should I wait until something closer comes up?(who knows how long that might be, I've already looked for sometime)

Help, I need someone to check my sanity.

Last edited by Dobiewankanobie; 09-12-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Do not, under any circumstances send money to a craigslist seller without seeing the car in person and verifying the title is valid.

Quote:
I figure if it doesn't work out one way or another I'm only out a few hundred bucks in travel and time.
Plus the deposit plus the possibility the seller will try some identity theft scam.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Do not, under any circumstances send money to a craigslist seller without seeing the car in person and verifying the title is valid.

Plus the deposit plus the possibility the seller will try some identity theft scam.
There's no way I would give him any info beyond what's already on the internet that would allow him to id theft me. And I'm confident with paypal or something similar that I could keep my deposit secure. But its still part of my plan that needs to be flushed out.

But you're right, I should get some ID on the title.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: assorted awesomeness
It is a little crazy, but some cars can do that. I'd be concerned, however, not only that you may find the car is a phantom and you wind up 1,200 miles away from home facing people looking to relieve you of some money, but that even if everything is legitimate, you're about to drive 1,200 miles in an unfamiliar, used BMW.

If it were me, I would first locate a BMW dealer or independent shop that specializes in BMWs in the area, contact them and ask about doing an extremely thorough pre-purchase inspection. Tell them you will have the seller bring it in, but you will pay for it and both you and the seller will receive the report. Then call the seller, tell him/her you're arranging for an inspection billed to you and both will get the report. Ask for some times when the seller can take it to the shop. Then contact the shop and set up the time, etc. (Of course, be clear that the seller only gets the report. S/he does not get any of your billing or personal information).

I think an honest seller who has properly maintained, hard to find car--especially if an enthusiast version--will have no problems finding the time to do this for a buyer about to travel 1200 miles, doubly since you plan to drive the car back. If s/he refuses for any reason, then I'd pass, thank the seller for his/her time and end communication. If s/he agreed, then after receiving the report, I'd call and ask to talk to the mechanic to ask a few questions and get any clarifications. My final question would be something along the lines of would the mechanic recommend the car for someone in his/her own family? It's easier to see the response when asking the question in person, but the phone should give you a good idea, as well.

Last edited by Carraway; 09-13-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
It is a little crazy, but some cars can do that. I'd be concerned, however, not only that you may find the car is a phantom and you wind up 1,200 miles away from home facing people looking to relieve you of some money, but that even if everything is legitimate, you're about to drive 1,200 miles in an unfamiliar, used BMW.

If it were me, I would first locate a BMW dealer or independent shop that specializes in BMWs in the area, contact them and ask about doing an extremely thorough pre-purchase inspection. Tell them you will have the seller bring it in, but you will pay for it and both you and the seller will receive the report. Then call the seller, tell him/her you're arranging for an inspection billed to you and both will get the report. Ask for some times when the seller can take it to the shop. Then contact the shop and set up the time, etc. (Of course, be clear that the seller only gets the report. S/he does not get any of your billing or personal information).

I think an honest seller who has properly maintained, hard to find car--especially if an enthusiast version--will have no problems finding the time to do this for a buyer about to travel 1200 miles, doubly since you plan to drive the car back. If s/he refuses for any reason, then I'd pass, thank the seller for his/her time and end communication. If s/he agreed, then after receiving the report, I'd call and ask to talk to the mechanic to ask a few questions and get any clarifications. My final question would be something along the lines of would the mechanic recommend the car for someone in his/her own family? It's easier to see the response when asking the question in person, but the phone should give you a good idea, as well.

As I originally stated in my plan, I did plan on taking it to a mechanic while I there. But your idea of arranging that beforehand makes more sense. I really appreciate your thoughts on this. It will be helpful.

I've let the owner know the beginning of the situation and am waiting hear and see if he's interested in working with me. So fingers crossed.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
I'd not pay more than $50-100 Via paypall to secure the car for a few days. That shows you are serious and real. No reason he can't hold the car for a few days and make up to $100.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Oh, and while you're at it, tell us what kind of BMW it is, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiewankanobie View Post
I found a BMW on craigslist. It's kind of a hard to find version so I'm really motivated (I WANT IT).
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport