Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
software update failure-how much trouble??

Hi,

Apparently I spoke the secret words while discussing a minor emissions fault light episode---I was told the transmission must be reprogrammed for safety reasons. From what I've seen on the forums, I'm a lucky guy, since it seems one cannot just ask for a software update...a fault has to be dealer-diagnosed in order to warrant an update.

Our beloved 2012 X3 35i now lies dead at the dealer's shop after a 6 hour (huh?) procedure failed just prior to scheduled pickup. I am told that after the entire 6 hour procedure, the car "failed reprogramming". We hope to hear good news tomorrow after a retry. I suppose stuff happens, so we'll wait this out, but...

I am left wondering what could possibly take 6 hours to update software in the transmission control module....does anyone know anything about this process?

By the way, I picked up an alleged explanation of the off-idle hesitation cause--it seems that when the accelerator is applied off-idle and in-gear, nothing is allowed to actually happen until the control modules all intercommunicate to confirm that the engine, transmission, transfer case, brakes, etc etc etc etc are aok. The hesitation is the delay from applying accelerator through to confirmation that all is ok. If I'm following the explanation, the update abridges that systems checkout, figuring that if the car was just stopped after having been moving and is trying to move again, the in-depth checks are not necessary. I did not get a clear indication of what happens on first start-off after fresh engine start.

So that's it, maybe, subject to reliability of information. Of course, Considering that I had to contact BMW NA to determine which "cargo net" was the factory-only cargo cover with roll-up dog screen, and other such routine info questions, this could be all be BS........

Does anyone happen to know?

I don't have much experience across high-end car brands...is the seeming lack of product line sales and service knowledge unique to BMW or is it more generally related to the increasing depth of electronic and software systems? Either way it just seems it would be really tough to make a living as a car manufacturer if all your products befuddle the sales and service force and take all day to download software...I could be wrong, but..........

While I'm slightly concerned about the failure itself, I do commend the dealer guys for their hospitality, a fine 335i loaner car, and very good communication!

thanks

Luna-01
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
BMW uses the ATARI operating system hence the long programming times.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3 using ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
BMW uses the ATARI operating system hence the long programming times.
And they are playing paddles most of the time.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM

"BMW uses the ATARI operating system hence the long programming times."

I knew it!!

Latest news is that a 2nd try at programming succeeded, but the "transmission-only" part of this turned into a few modules.........I'll report back on actual solution to the original problem and how many new problems I have. I expect at least some learned stuff has been unlearned, which may be good if the hesitation is gone. I'm hoping all the software options I bought have survived.

Luna-01
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
They use dial up at a baud rate of 4800. I remember the first time they told me that it would take the better part of a day to flash the firmware.

In my industry they might laugh their (blank) off, right after they fired you for such a stupid archaic procedure.

Never in 25+ years of engineering have I seen something so bass ackwards. I cant believe they are still doing it this way. And the major thing is it doesnt work half the time.

If its broken...fix it.

Good Luck...sometimes after trying too many times they fry the module. Hope they dont do that to you......

Start Lemon procedures if they do.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-16-2012, 12:59 AM

results of reprogramming

OK, the second try at reprogramming worked......at least the car works. For starters the transmission-module-only reprogram turned into a few modules and loss of stored configurations and Nav history......not a big deal...just inconvenient.

The off-idle/rolling stop hesitation is gone.....in that regard, it's almost normal compared with past non-by-wire cars I've had.......there's the feel of not quite being connected via the accelerator (in truth you're not) but the bog-then-jump behavior is gone. The acceleration is somewhat doggy now--obviously the driving adaptation was unlearned.......that should return. I'll be interested to see if the hesitation comes back (as some have noted on forum) as the adaptive learning builds up.

On one hand this is really interesting, on the other hand this is as dumb as it gets.......

Whatever it is, it is...but it's dumb!!

Thanks for comments and to those with other, similar posts.

Luna-01
Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Luna,

I'm wondering if the update you just got is different from the one my X3 received earlier this year. Can you provide the number from your work order showing the version installed?

Keep us posted on how well this works for you.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna-01 View Post
OK, the second try at reprogramming worked......at least the car works. For starters the transmission-module-only reprogram turned into a few modules and loss of stored configurations and Nav history......not a big deal...just inconvenient.

The off-idle/rolling stop hesitation is gone.....in that regard, it's almost normal compared with past non-by-wire cars I've had.......there's the feel of not quite being connected via the accelerator (in truth you're not) but the bog-then-jump behavior is gone. The acceleration is somewhat doggy now--obviously the driving adaptation was unlearned.......that should return. I'll be interested to see if the hesitation comes back (as some have noted on forum) as the adaptive learning builds up.

On one hand this is really interesting, on the other hand this is as dumb as it gets.......

Whatever it is, it is...but it's dumb!!

Thanks for comments and to those with other, similar posts.

Luna-01
Document everything and report it. If it returns you will then have legal recourse.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more