Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
What is BMW Individual?

I'm in the process of ordering either a new GC or 7er. I've owned several BMW's but never a new one, so I've never done a "Build your own" or ordered one the way I wanted it...so...

Can someone give me a rundown of what "BMW Individual" is, how they work, etc??
Ads by Google
Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
BMW Individual is a an internal customising division. There are a very wide range of paints and interior options to choose from. They also can do special requests.

The US appears to be limited to some preset packages, but there have been exceptions.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...BMWIndividual/
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
The full BMW Individual catalogue is available in the US--you just need access to a good client advisor (CA) who knows how the ordering process works. (There are a few exceptions like not being able to get the high-end leathers on some models, for obscure reasons...but for the most part it's all possible.) BMW NA prominently offers a few "standard" Individual compositions and options on the web configurator for the higher-end models, because the take rate is better as you go up the scale. Other options, other compositions, and any Individual equipment on other models must go through the special-order process, which requires approval by BMW AG, BMW NA and the owner of the dealership.

The biggest hurdle in the process is getting a CA who trusts you (and vice versa) to go through with the deal. BMW NA does not approve all requests so you may need someone to go to bat for you. Special-ordered cars, including Individual equipment outside of BMW NA's official offerings, cannot be cancelled by the dealer once accepted by BMW AG. So if you walk away from the deal, they're left holding the bag...some won't take the risk.

The main offerings in the stock Individual catalogue are a selection of distinctive and striking paint colors, exotic wood trims and Merino leather upholstery in several exclusive colors. There are also odds and ends such as an anthracite (black) headliner, in-car entertainment (including an astounding bespoke audio system), wheels, steering wheels and so on. (The high-gloss black "Shadowline" exterior trim on certain US models is actually an Individual option.) Beyond those is the full Individual custom treatment, where you tell BMW what materials & colors you want and they either offer you a quote or turn you down flat. Pricing for this route is firmly in "if you have to ask" territory.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 09-14-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i Individual
Ordering Wood trim not on list

Has anyone ordered an individual wood trim that is not listed on that series car. I.E. Eucalyptus wood trim for a 535i? Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshawsa View Post
Has anyone ordered an individual wood trim that is not listed on that series car. I.E. Eucalyptus wood trim for a 535i? Thanks
Judging by the silence it appears not....

FYI, that would be considered a custom trim for which you'd have to request a quote and approval. If a given veneer is not offered on a particular Series you're basically looking at a one-off custom job to manufacture the trim pieces.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshawsa View Post
I recently read an article somewhere (maybe a thread or post here) about some guy in Hawaii who took delivery on a 7 Series a few years ago with Hawaiian Koa wood trim, along with a specially matched leather interior and special exterior paint.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I recently read an article somewhere (maybe a thread or post here) about some guy in Hawaii who took delivery on a 7 Series a few years ago with Hawaiian Koa wood trim, along with a specially matched leather interior and special exterior paint.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/10/19/ve..******-metallic/

2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center)
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: '05 645 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeZee View Post
Just wow! I love that BMW would do a custom job and appreciate the uniqueness and all but I just hate the color choices! Why, oh why???