Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
xenon headlight bulb turning pink??

Recently my driver side headlight has turned pink in color instead of bright white, does that mean the bulb is on its way out? Should I get OEM bulbs or is there a better brand? What do you guys/girls use?
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by '07 AlpineX3 View Post
Recently my driver side headlight has turned pink in color instead of bright white, does that mean the bulb is on its way out? Should I get OEM bulbs or is there a better brand? What do you guys/girls use?
Yep! Time for new bulbs... word of advice, replace them BOTH. You can find them online for less then 1/2 what a dealer would charge you.

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Yep! Time for new bulbs... word of advice, replace them BOTH. You can find them online for less then 1/2 what a dealer would charge you.
Any specific brand you recommend, or better yet, any brand you don't recommend? One of the reasons I bought the X3 was the quality of the headlights (bright, adaptive) for night time driving, I don't want to lose any "performance."
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw
i'm pretty sure I have a couple spare bulbs in the garage ( new OEM bmw) If you want to pay for shipping I can send them to you to try out
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
i'm pretty sure I have a couple spare bulbs in the garage ( new OEM bmw) If you want to pay for shipping I can send them to you to try out
Sure, PM sent.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328xi
And if those don't work out... I believe the exact bulb you want is the Philips D1S Xenon.

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Well, the bulb died Friday night, so I had to go out and get new bulbs from AAP at $99.99 each. Not sure if there's a DIY in the sticky section (I searched and found nothing), and unfortunately I don't have pics, but here's the procedure for HID bulbs on a 2007. The manual has instructions but they're vague and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to disconnect the metal retaining clips. If I had to do it again I could do both sides in about 20 minutes total, pretty easy.

1. Driver Side: Locate the back of the headlamp assembly in the engine bay. There is an octagonal shaped cover on the back of the assembly behind the low beam bulb. There is one retaining clip on the top of this cover.
2. Slide a flat head screwdriver under the retaining clip (if that makes sense) to release the cover. You should hear a faint "pop"and the cover will loosen up. Remove the cover, put it aside, be careful not to damage the rubber gasket on the cover.
3. Locate the wire retaining clips on the back of the bulb. These 2 wire clips unhook from the bottom of the bulb, look at the little "hoops" on the end of these wire retaining clips, you'll see that they're in notches on the back of the bulb. Just stare at it for a minute and you'll see what I mean. Push in gently on the wire clips and they'll release from the bulb and pop out of the way.
4. With the wire retaining clips off, gently slide the bulb out, it will be attached to the thick metal braided wire. Gently pull the wire from the bulb and they'll separate easily.
5. Take your new bulb, DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS. Only handle the metal base. Re attach the metal braided wire.
6. Carefully insert the bulb (attached to the metal braided wire) back into the headlamp assembly. Be careful not to smash the bulb around as you put it in. Take your time.
7. Once the bulb is seated, re-secure the metal retaining clips by bending them back so the little "hoops" sit in the notches on the bulb.
8. At this point I tested the bulbs to make sure they worked (key in ignition, turn lights on, etc).
8. If all is good, pop the black plastic cover back on, you're done

Passenger side is the same exact process, except you first remove the one screw holding the washer fluid reservoir on (the only screw on top, behind the fill cap) and gently push the reservoir to the side out of your way (towards the engine). It literally takes 30 seconds to do this part and gives you plenty of room to work. I found this side to be easier than the driver side to work on due to the extra room from moving the reservoir.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Bee Em UU

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Pretty good DIY guide, I was using my imagination and was able to visualize everything you were doing in the process. Perhaps this post should be put into the DIY section?

What kind of bulbs did you buy?

Traded in with 90K Miles:
2007 X3 3.0si Black Sapphire Metallic, Grey Nevada, M Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, and Xenon.
Prod Date: March 2, 2007
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
sucks that it went out. you should get the set i sent you monday
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
sucks that it went out. you should get the set i sent you monday
Thanks for sending them. Yeah, just my luck that it went out, thought it would have lasted longer.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Pretty good DIY guide, I was using my imagination and was able to visualize everything you were doing in the process. Perhaps this post should be put into the DIY section?

What kind of bulbs did you buy?
Thanks. I got the Sylvania D1S bulbs.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Xenon light turned pink.

Hi all, so my wife and I decided over the weekend to sell our beloved X3 to trade up to the X5 as our family needs the space. On Monday, on a trip to Ikea in New Haven CT the sunroof broke, will not shut properly and now the passenger side Xenon on the active headlight has turned pinkish purple. From the post above I assume it's the bulb I need to swap out? There are two types mentioned. Are there any preferences? I have to tackle both jobs this weekend as I have been inundated with calls from folks on Craigslist to buy the car, only has 76k miles and all seams to be going wrong, also the coolant sensor comes on randomly. Any help with the Xenon would be much appreciate, Howard T from down under has already shared the fix for the rear roof tilt problem and I am ordering a new coolant sensor tomorrow. Many thanks in advance guys.