Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive 28i
Map Update -- Worth It? 2013 North American Premium - USB 2014 Version 1A

Hi -

Just got an email from BMW NA letting me know that I can upgrade to the

BMW X3 2011 - 2013
North American Premium - USB 2014 Version 1A

for $245. I have the 2012 BMW X3. Wanted to get this group's opinion on whether this upgrade is typically worth it. I live in the New York area and so far there hasn't been anything new on the roads that I haven't seen on the maps

Best,
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by index2020 View Post
Hi -

I live in the New York area and so far there hasn't been anything new on the roads that I haven't seen on the maps

Best,
I do not update because of what is depicted in my local area as I am already familiar with what roads I intend or need to use. I update because I want it is accurate as possible when I am in an area I am not familiar with.

It is not uncommon to find discrepancies so I think an upgrade every year is worth it but certainly not for $245. In this forum you can find references to download the data and then buy a key for $50.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
In this forum you can find references to download the data and then buy a key for $50.
Good to know that! I thought the downloads from BMW were customized for specific VIN and can be uploaded only to the specific car?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by index2020 View Post
Good to know that! I thought the downloads from BMW were customized for specific VIN and can be uploaded only to the specific car?
Thats true and that is what you will be paying the $50 for. You will provide VIN etc. with that. Look for the threads both here and at Xbimmers, they are current threads.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I'm waiting a few years before I update my Navi... it really is a shame BMW is pulling this cheapo cash grab. BMW should just send an update to its valued customers... oh ya, valued customers, never mind.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I'm waiting a few years before I update my Navi... it really is a shame BMW is pulling this cheapo cash grab. BMW should just send an update to its valued customers... oh ya, valued customers, never mind.
I completely agree but all the OEMs do it. Have the same issue with our Lexus.

In my opinion it is not smart marketing. I suspect the upgrade sales volume is very low because very few people are willing to justify the very high cost. I dont think they should give the updates away for free but I think they should charge something that a typical owner of a BMW would not think twice about spending. If BMW charged $50 or even $75 I would have them upgrade the maps every year with barely any thought during routine oil maintenance. Not only would their sales volume for this essentially no cost upgrade go up considerably, but they would have a big edge on their competition. In addition, they would not create the unnecessary animosity that a $250 charge for something that obviously costs them very little. Since I have done my own upgrades I know that the technicians time is no more than a few minutes if he is already servicing the car.