Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 11-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F01
Kids in the back seats

I test drove a 2012 650i yesterday with my 10 year old son. He sat in the rear seat on the passenger side, behind the salesman. He's only 10 and he complained about the cramped quarters back there. When the salesman got out to go get something from his office, I believe the system automatically moved his seat all the way back for easier egress and ingress. The side effect was essentially trapping my son in the backseat as the front seat moved all the way back. The buttons that control the seat moving up and back don't seem to operate when the doors are closed.

Any thoughts?

Granted, I am coming from a 2005 745i so everything other than a 7 will be smaller. We also drove a 2012 M3 Coupe, which he like the backseat much better - more room and a less "bucketed" seat.

Just trying to make sure I don't end up with a vehicle that required the kids to be contortionists to ride in the back seats.
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
My wife and I picked up our two sons at the airport a few weeks ago, 19 and 21, 6 foot and 6 foot 2, and I had to adjust my drivers seat just up a bit and was still comfortable. My wife's seat stayed in her position (she's small, so it was already up), and no issues for the trip home 45 miles or so. I wouldn't want to try and take the four of us on an all day trip, but I don't think a 10 year old would be an issue unless he's already 6 foot or over. My guess is that the CA had the seat adjusted for him, without respect to your son.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the intel!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014. 640 ix Vert
I also went for a test drive this weekend. Coming out of a 535 xi GT and drove a 640xi vert. Wife (5'4") sat in the back the whole time. 40 degrees, roof up the whole way. She said she could sit back there comfortably for the 5 hr drive to our place in Vt.
Not sure if she just loves the car as much as I do or if she really meant it. In any case, I'll be ordering mine in the next few weeks!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Kids in the back seats

I only put people in the back that I really don't like. lol

Every couple of weeks I travel about an hour to a rural clinic with two of my med school buddies, and they made it pretty clear that my car wasn't going to hack it - no matter how fun it is for me to drive. We're all in the 6' to 6' 4" range.

If I go downtown with friends (1/2 hour drive), I usually max out at 3 people so no one is behind me. I'm nearly 6' 4", so there's hardly an inch between my seat back and the rear bottom cushion.

I'd definitely go the GC route if rear comfort is a concern at all. I haven't spent and time driving a GC, but it isn't that much bigger than the coupe. I don't really care about the rear seats, and I prefer the coupier, sloping roofline of the coupe that isn't as pronounced in the GC.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 11-25-2013, 12:00 PM

After 20 yrs of putting kids to sleep ( you're a med student, you'll understand) and putting two thru college, it's high time I got my vert! ( before Mr Obama becomes my employer or I quit altogether) kids in the back seat? They can squish in or drive themselves:-)
Since the wife seems to love it I WIN!
Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 650i xDrive
Funny thread.....My 12 year can barely fit back there. We are heading out of town tomorrow for a long week and going three hundred miles each way, my 650i quickly got shot down as the mode of transport.

I am torn on the GC, just not the same sexy machine...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Funny definitely as some people are cool with it and other are not. I think if you are even remotely claustrophobic then the GC is the way to go. You're trapped back there if the front seat passenger gets out unless you reach up and pull the manual seat release.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 650i xDrive
The big issue for my daughter is the bar running along the back of the seat. If she gets in and the seat was somewhat back on the tracks, when you push the upright back fast the bar slams into her lacrosse damaged knees and then I get a screaming crying child....I don't like screaming crying children in my car.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Kids in the back seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillviper View Post
Funny definitely as some people are cool with it and other are not. I think if you are even remotely claustrophobic then the GC is the way to go. You're trapped back there if the front seat passenger gets out unless you reach up and pull the manual seat release.
There is a little button on the side that moves the seat forward and backward. It helps, but most passengers don't know it's there, and they start using the regular seat controls. It's a bit of a mess. haha. It's worth it though for this type of car, and it does add some comic relief watching people try to figure it out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1385409822.021302.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	409354

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM

For whatever reason, I don't think the seat moved when he pushed the electronic buttons. Not sure if it has to do with the door being closed etc.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:24 PM

Kids in the back seats

The car does tend to freak out and start flashing all kinds of warnings if the seat is "unlocked" and the doors open or if the car's shifted out of park. The most annoying one is the "low oil" message. It says you're good for at least another hundred miles or so, but it keeps setting off alarms and flashing on the screen. Everyone in the car (aside from myself) truly believes the car is on the verge of exploding thanks to BMW's liberal hand when it comes to driver notifications.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 AM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I only put people in the back that I really don't like. lol

Every couple of weeks I travel about an hour to a rural clinic with two of my med school buddies, and they made it pretty clear that my car wasn't going to hack it - no matter how fun it is for me to drive. We're all in the 6' to 6' 4" range.

If I go downtown with friends (1/2 hour drive), I usually max out at 3 people so no one is behind me. I'm nearly 6' 4", so there's hardly an inch between my seat back and the rear bottom cushion.

I'd definitely go the GC route if rear comfort is a concern at all. I haven't spent and time driving a GC, but it isn't that much bigger than the coupe. I don't really care about the rear seats, and I prefer the coupier, sloping roofline of the coupe that isn't as pronounced in the GC.

I prefer the lines of the coupé as well. For a sedan, the 5-series is nicer.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillviper View Post
I test drove a 2012 650i yesterday with my 10 year old son. He sat in the rear seat on the passenger side, behind the salesman. He's only 10 and he complained about the cramped quarters back there. When the salesman got out to go get something from his office, I believe the system automatically moved his seat all the way back for easier egress and ingress. The side effect was essentially trapping my son in the backseat as the front seat moved all the way back. The buttons that control the seat moving up and back don't seem to operate when the doors are closed.

Any thoughts?

Granted, I am coming from a 2005 745i so everything other than a 7 will be smaller. We also drove a 2012 M3 Coupe, which he like the backseat much better - more room and a less "bucketed" seat.

Just trying to make sure I don't end up with a vehicle that required the kids to be contortionists to ride in the back seats.
The 6er coupe is NOT the car to consider if more than 2 passengers. The back seats are not just tiny, but almost impossible to access. At 6-2 , I have tried on several test drives to get back there and it is torture. More importantly to me, I don't want other people banging & scuffing things up trying to get back there. The edges of the rear quarter panel are especially vulnerable as somebody tries to squeeze in there.

On one test drive, I drove,my wife in passenger seat, and idiot salesman sits behind ME.
I could not get comfortable even as I tried to squish him adjusting the seat. Nope - definitely got to have a second (4 door) vehicle if you own a 6.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
The 6er coupe is NOT the car to consider if more than 2 passengers. The back seats are not just tiny, but almost impossible to access. At 6-2 , I have tried on several test drives to get back there and it is torture. More importantly to me, I don't want other people banging & scuffing things up trying to get back there. The edges of the rear quarter panel are especially vulnerable as somebody tries to squeeze in there.

On one test drive, I drove,my wife in passenger seat, and idiot salesman sits behind ME.
I could not get comfortable even as I tried to squish him adjusting the seat. Nope - definitely got to have a second (4 door) vehicle if you own a 6.
BMW should offer a backseat as confortable as an M3 coupé. What is the problem?

Most dealers are opting for stocking the GCs, so coupes are more difficult to find.

Are you sticking with two doors, Joe?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
BMW should offer a backseat as confortable as an M3 coupé. What is the problem?

Most dealers are opting for stocking the GCs, so coupes are more difficult to find.

Are you sticking with two doors, Joe?
You bet. 650i coupe sport Edition. Imola Red/Ivory white Nappa. Fine line oak. B & O stereo/373M 20" wheels/Cold Weather Pkg.

No kids here- thanks very much. I have a 4 door sedan & SUV now when I need the extra doors. GC is nice but just does not have that GT/sports car look.

Plus who here wants to make a Home Depot/Lowes/Sam's club/dogs to vet run in a $90,000 car?

Last edited by mrjoed2; 11-26-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM

Kids in the back seats

I would really like to see a 6er 'vert driving down the road with the top down carrying some 2x4's and a mega pack of Charmin.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Come spring, southern, that's exactly what I'll be doing!
And skis before that!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
You bet. 650i coupe sport Edition. Imola Red/Ivory white Nappa. Fine line oak. B & O stereo/373M 20" wheels/Cold Weather Pkg.

No kids here- thanks very much. I have a 4 door sedan & SUV now when I need the extra doors. GC is nice but just does not have that GT/sports car look.

Plus who here wants to make a Home Depot/Lowes/Sam's club/dogs to vet run in a $90,000 car?
My wife and I use the 6 for Costco all the time. The trunk is huge.

No kids here either, so we are only buying for the two of us. And the dog only rides in her car, in the back, in her belted carrier. I were a belt, so do my pets.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bönz View Post
my wife and i use the 6 for costco all the time. The trunk is huge.
+1
Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
My wife and I use the 6 for Costco all the time. The trunk is huge.

No kids here either, so we are only buying for the two of us. And the dog only rides in her car, in the back, in her belted carrier. I were a belt, so do my pets.

I think the 6er trunk is decent, huge might be a little stretch. Anyway Costco aside, I don't think anybody wants to use their 6 for transporting landscaping items such as mulch/sod/manure/[plants and building materials. That what SUVS are for. Some demographics I saw a while back showed the 6 series was a second or third vehicle in a household.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Anyway Costco aside, I don't think anybody wants to use their 6 for transporting landscaping items such as mulch/sod/manure/[plants and building materials. That what SUVS are for.
I agree with you there, but I don't haul that kind of stuff in the SUV either. That's what landscape contractors are for.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I agree with you there, but I don't haul that kind of stuff in the SUV either. That's what landscape contractors are for.
Like to do alot of my own yard work. As they say if you want it done right, do it yourself.
Plus good exercise & fresh air.