Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Anyone used Zurich for drop off recently?

We are using Zurich as a drop off point in Oct. anyone with recent experience?

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
It may help if you have any specific concerns, like timing, transportation etc.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328xi Coupe
I dropped off mine in Munich in May, but am currently residing in Zürich, so I don't have direct experience with Zürich dropoff. However, I would at least be forewarned that Zürich traffic is absolutely awful. Much worse than many other European cities, especially given its size, so plan ahead. Rush hour (e.g. 7-10 AM, 4-7 PM) can be an absolute nightmare. Make sure you have PLENTY of time if you're going to be arriving anywhere between those times.

Mounting Bloggif
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: f01, fx35, f10
I'm planning to stay in Zurich for 2 days on my way to Paris. Where are some places I should visit? Hotel recommendations?

ED on 3.30.07 |'07 335i coupe|BlackSapphire|CoralRed|Nav|Comfort|Sports|Pr emium
Redelivered, Reunited! 5.24.07
2013 F10 535i|TiAg|BlackDakota||Tech|MSport|Premium|Multi Contour|Hifi|Rearview Camera|PDC
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328xi Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormace View Post
I'm planning to stay in Zurich for 2 days on my way to Paris. Where are some places I should visit? Hotel recommendations?
Can't help with hotels, that probably depends more on budget than anything else but honestly, 2 days is probably too many for Zürich, except if you plan to use it as a jumping off point for other places in the area. Luzern/Lucerne is about a 45 minute drive from Zürich and beautiful. Bern is about twice that distance and is equally worth the visit. Zürich itself has a few churches and older streets, but it's more just an expensive commercial city than a tourist one. If you don't specifically need to come to Zürich, I'd recommend minimizing tourism time here, Switzerland has so much more to offer. Interlaken forms a triangle with Bern and Luzern to the Southwest of Zurich and that is always a popular one among ED'ers. If I were you, I'd spend an afternoon in Zürich strolling around, but not much more than that. However, if you have your heart set on spending two days here, PM me I'd be happy to recommend a few specific places to visit.

IF you're outdoorsy, there are a few wonderful hiking areas within easy driving/train distance of ZRH

Mounting Bloggif
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i Msport
Unless they moved from when I was there a few years ago, the dropoff was easy to find and near highway. Short cab ride to the airport as well. Just allow for extra time to avoid stress.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Plenty of road construction in nearby area, so give it a little time. If you told them to show up at certain time, be on time otherwise they would be annoyed. I stayed at the airport hotel - Raddison Blu. It was an easy tram ride #10 away (2 blocks behind the building).

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:53 PM

No specific concerns, been to Zurich before stayed downtown used Steigenberger and liked it. Using Raddison Blu this time as it is a good meeting point, my daughter comes in from school by train, and my son flys in from Indianapolis. We will be spending a week in France then back to my daughter's school to drop her off and pick up things she no longer needs, then back to Zurich on Sunday. Turn the car in on Monday morning and catch the noonish flight back to the States.

Current Fleet
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 550i (F10)
We're also dropping off in Zurich in October. We heard that Zurich isn't the best to stay so plan on staying in Lucerne the day before. Didn't realize they were closed on Sat so need to drop off Friday and spend the night. Any recommendations on Hotel in Zurich not too far from airport??
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trencher View Post
We're also dropping off in Zurich in October. We heard that Zurich isn't the best to stay so plan on staying in Lucerne the day before. Didn't realize they were closed on Sat so need to drop off Friday and spend the night. Any recommendations on Hotel in Zurich not too far from airport??
My daughter and her classmates prefer the Raddison Blu because it is convenient, both to take the train to and from school when flying out of Zurich. There are others less costly, also close by. if you are spending a night with a late departure I would use the Steigenberger on the lake in town. We have stayed there for a few nights when we were in Zurich at Easter.

Current Fleet
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPeter View Post
If you don't specifically need to come to Zürich, I'd recommend minimizing tourism time here, Switzerland has so much more to offer.
Wow.. thanks for this post, and I am glad I found it... we were going to do 2 days there in a few weeks on our ED - you just saved me a night stay and allowed me to move through to another city a day earlier
Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
I love the radisson blu at the airport. It made our trip home easy. We got up the next day, had breakfast and just walked over. Hotel restaurant food was quite good and girls flying around to retrieve your wine. The shopping center at the airport is not a bad walk either.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
I stayed at the Sheraton, which I thought was a great value. It's in a great location down by the lake and it has a little courtyard where you can park safely off the street.

Although there isn't a whole lot to see in Zurich, the city has a great feel to it. Plus, I thought the drive to the drop off center (aside from navigating around some construction) was relatively easy. Maybe I just hit it at the right time of day.

Another plus, talk about Swiss efficiency, from the time the cab dropped me off, through check in, 2 security checks to my gate was less tahn 15 min. As a tourist doubt you can do that in any other country in the world.