Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550ix M-Sport
Considering 550 M-Sport, coming from E46 330 Sport - how does the ride compare?

Hi All,

I'm moving on from my E46 330i w/ Sport package. Family is older now, so the space of a 5-series is appealing. I'm drawn to the 550 for its ample power, but am concerned about the 5-series ride. My dealer only has 535's to drive, none with Sport or M-Sport, so I need help projecting the difference from my current car.

I'll definitely be getting M-Sport, but debating whether or not to get the DHP (DDC+ARS). I want a stiff ride (to the point where passengers comment on rough roads!), and don't want too much sway/roll in curves. The car is bigger than my E46, but I don't want to feel like I'm driving a luxury boat. The non-Sport 535 I drove (not sure if it had DDC or ARS) definitely did not do it for me.

I don't usually mod my cars, but would consider different springs if that is needed to get the ride like what I want (and being lower would be good too). If the cabin is so silent I can't hear the engine roar through the gears, I'd also consider the M exhaust system.

So, is the M-Sport ride really tight and stiff? Do you need DDC and/or ARS to get it that way? 2013 seems to change things since the M-Sport has a sport suspension and the DDC/ARS comes via the DHP and removes the sport suspension. Any other thoughts?

-Steve

Last edited by shoek; 09-14-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: improve clarity
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
My suggestion is to not get this car. People who expect E46 ZHP ride on the F10 are in for a disappointment.
If you decide the F10 is for you and want a stiff ride. I would swap out the springs, rims and tires on a base car. The M-Sport suspension isn't what you think it is. It's in the context of a car with a multi-link front suspension and 4365 lbs. curb weight. If you don't want a luxury boat, this car probably isn't for you because the size and weight just can't be adjusted by suspension modifications. I'd probably suggest a F30 335i MSport, it's much more of a drivers car, and it's actually pretty large, but that's your call. I've got my wallet primed on a new F32 M3.

EDIT:
If you are in MI, then most likely you will only see XDrive versions unless you order one from the factory. Make it 4519 lbs curb weight and 53.9/46.1% frt/rear weight distribution. It should have rudder.

Last edited by TJPark01; 09-14-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix
I absolutely love my 550ix m sports package! It is not a head turner , it's a neck breaker! Looks aside, it is a monster! I actually felt G force when I put it in sports mode. It gave me chills. If I had one word to describe my car it would be SEXY. You would not be dissappointed!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550ix M-Sport
@TJPark01 so you are recommending skipping the F10 altogether and going with another 3-series? From the other reading I've done here it seems like many owners are happy with the sport performance of their 550's, and if they are not completely happy with the handling a spring upgrade seems to take care of it.

What's I'm really hoping to find out from other owners is the benefits of the DHP vs. the 2013 M-suspension, etc.

Last edited by shoek; 09-17-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I would suggest going to a dealer who may have a F10 in their loaner fleet. It my be hard to find, but you need to spend a day with it. It's big, heavy and more of a luxo cruiser than the nimble sport sedan it once was. I have a E92 335 M Sport and it's much more of a drivers car. No matter how stiff the Msport suspension may be on a F10 M Sport, you can't fight the laws of physics.