Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Famous Travelling E46 Mechanic in Chicago?

So, Smolck, gonna be in the Chicagoland area anytime soon? Perhaps us Illinoisans can form a group buy for a long weekend of beer, car talk, and wrench turning?

I'm half afraid to tackle a cooling overhaul on my car. I definitely can't afford to pay an indy to do it. Stuff like getting the radiator fan off the shaft scares me, as does the bill to buy tools and ramps and torque wrench and sledge...

I had a scare this morning when I started up and saw my old friend the coolant light on the dash. The expansion tank was bone dry and I could see fluid on the bottom engine bay cover. But that could have been rain. I added 24oz of bottled water and got to work without issue. This would have to happen right as I'm paying for a damn wedding and reception party frickin figures! @#$%@#

I guess I'm looking for a little moral support to wrench this myself.
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
No travel plans to your neck of the woods, sorry. But I did the videos of it and it is very easy. You can do it!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Also, put out the word in your area to see if anyone who has done the job might be willing to help you out.
I'd consider helping someone if they were in my area.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC
If your coolant is low and it's not a leaking expansion tank, it could be an
O ring leaking on a temp sensor down low toward the front of the engine. Open the hood, look down on the passenger side front of the engine (you probably need a flashlight). If you see some moisture on the top of the underbody tray, that's it. Someone on here figured out a part number for an o-ring that will fit - BMW doesn't have a specific part number just for the ring on the sensor. Do a little searching - on my phone or I would do it. If that's your problem, it's a five minute, two dollar fix. Remove the sensor, swap out the o ring and replace.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC
The post is "DIY - Temp. sensor coolant leak repair" started by jcourcoul
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvideopro View Post
The post is "DIY - Temp. sensor coolant leak repair" started by jcourcoul
Thanks Jim, but I completed that DIY with a brand new sensor, didn't bother mucking about for a new o-ring. I did see that thread and even responded to it. Still I appreciate your response!

I'll be digging up all of Smolck's videos on the subject ... provided I can find the money. Even a ticking time bomb is subject to my wallet's availability schedule.

And this morning I realized a certain ticking noise when I turn in the parking garage is clearly coming from my car. not good. Time to examine the CV joints and boots. I bet I'll find at least one torn open with no grease left inside.