Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
observations after 200 miles.

Now that I've driven my X1 sDrive xLine for a couple of hundred miles, I'd like to share my observations to help others in their buying decision and to see if other owners share similar observations.

(To qualify my perspective, been driving BMWs for over 25 year, performance tires typically last me 10-15K miles, but last family hauler got 70K from A/S tires. Track my cars on occasion. Most of my cars have preformance mods and a MT. Prefer to drive w AST/DSC off. Coming out of an 07 MDX Sport to this X1.)

In no particular order and numbered only for easy ref.

Pros:
1) Quick shifting 8 spd tranny.
2) Good, but not stellar, MPG in mixed driving. (for some reason I always have a harder time acheiving EPA estmiates with a turbo, must be my lead foot...) I'm getting about 3 MPG more than an M54 330i (E46). Most of that gain seems to be the transmission allowing for low RPM running which also translates into better free coasting. The turbo eng puts down enough torque at low RPM allows this. I'm sure the frugal 4 cyl idle helps too. I'm not sure it gets better economy than an M52 6 cyl under similar acceleration.
3) ride quality is very compliant yet well controlled.
4) Drives/handles like a BMW should, but not as good as a BMW sedan.
5) Good midrange power so easy to keep below 4500 rpm during breakin period.
6) Decent steering feel. I was expecting worse w EPS, but with Servo it isn't bad. sDrive w/o Servo seemed much lighter at slow speeds. This is contrary to what Servo is supposed to do, lower steering effort more at low speeds, but I'm glad. I guess the effect of Servo can't be explained so easily; perhaps it's a remap of the steering effort through a variety of inputs in addition to speed. I'd prefer the steering to be even heavier. I have yet to drive an xDrive.
7) Start/Stop was alllowed to default to last-used, so glad that was possible.
8) Very good outward visibility.
9) Decent Standard stereo.
10) Pano roof adds lots of welcome light to rear.
11) HIDs work well.
12) No creaks or rattles over driveways / offroad.
13) Stance is good for onroad driving. Not too tall or low. However wheels look too sunken in, by BMW standards.

Cons:
1) no engine (water or oil) temp gauge!
2) no dipstick
3) transmission clunks at times when coasting to a stop or slowing for a stop and resuming prior to a full stop. I think the transmission is skipping gears, finding the right gear to engage, when coming to a stop, clunks when engaging.
4) The P7 Cinturalto tires are low on dry grip (relative to summer performance tires) such that traction control kicks in very often and at very low threshold. I'm already tempted to turn the system Off. The tires howl and sceam in protest at very low lateral g-force even for All-season tires. I think this model prioritizes on good tread wear and and noise reduction. I know tires need to be broken in to wear off mold release, but that doesn't usually take me more than 200 miles. Need to check pressures.
5) Start/Stop turns itself back ON when ECO PRO is turned ON.
6) tires seem overly stiff for the suspension.
7) The ride is not as confidence inspiring as I had hoped. For sure an E90 feels more planted.
8) car understeers heavily when pushed, have not tried to bring the rear around w/ traction control OFF, but soon.
9) When turned quickly and hard (autocross style), there is a grinding noise coming from the outside front corner which sounds like tire rub, but I think it's the stability control applying the brakes differentially.
9) Got Service Engine Soon warning light from loose gas cap which had to be reset by dealer. Gas was last filled by the dealer...go figure... reimbursement?
10) HID vibration? I can see the light beam vibrate as the car goes over sharp bumps. Am I seeing the suspension or headlight vibrating? Is suspension vibration more apparent with HID lights bec the beam is more precise? I experienced similar with my Xenon equipped MDX, but in this car it seems worse. I really hope that my lights are not loose!
11) transmission automatically downshifts a gear or two when going from D to S Mode. There are times I want to change from D to S or Manaul mode without causing a downshift. All manually automatics I've driven could be switched from D to S /Man without forcing a downshift.
12) Slight howlling wind noise from roof at speed.
13) driving position, can't seem to get fully comfortable, steering wheel too high? If I adjust it down, can't see gauges.
14) Slightly slow in responding to light throttle off the line in D.
15) N20 sounds like a diesel, especially when idling and cold. Engine certainly sounds like a 4-cylinder w little aggression, though I haven't pushed it to redline yet.
16) No tool kit? What did you all get? I only got the two hook and a screw driver in the tool pouch.
17) No rechargeable flashlight in the glove compartment?
18) the right headlight seems to project further. haven't lined it up against a wall to check. could this be designed? (anyone know if the angels are On with headlights On?)
19) Driving in S mode shifts too late and driving in D drops the RPM a little too low. Haven't used EcoPro. When I tried it, I could definitely feel the power drop, as if the A/C came on or worse, so there's no urge to use it until I get familiar with Standard. I'll have to experiment more with throttle position in S.
20) wish it was equipped with the vertical cargo space partition.
21) Can't open SR without opening shade completely (in the rear half).
22) "orange peel" paint finish.
23) large dash board panel gaps.
24) Comfort Access doesn't work reliably with metal around key.
25) left paddle shifter too close to turn signal stalk. can easily pull the high beams when down shifting.
26) rear seat leg room not any better than E9x, but didn't expet it to be. Maybe tjhe taller seats help a little.

Despite all the Cons, we are still happy with her. But if you don't need the utility, and want a sporting drive, get the 3 series wagon or sedan instead. There's no free lunch, there are compromises in a SAV, even one this small.
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Con #1 is the same as the sedan, there is temp gauge on 35i only.
Con #11, I think S keeps the engine at higher RPM's constantly, by design, which is why downshifting occurs. But for me this is a Pro, not a Con.
Cons #16-17, I agree, these are some cost cutting measures - let me add another: no A/C vents for the rear seats.
While comparing to E9x, why couldn't they keep the space saving push-in-dash cup holders from that model? That is the best design I've seen for any car.

Thanks for the thorough review. I can't wait to get mine to compare notes further.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
nice review

yes, con #5 is annoying. my auto start/stop has also been set to default to last setting, but it seems easy to accidentally re-engage.

Con #8 - mine doesn't seem to have the understeer your describe, it handles wonderfully getting on tight on-ramps . . maybe the M-sport helps in that regard?

Con #13 - YES! cannot adjust steering wheel comfortably without obscuring gauges! would expect this from an import car that was maybe built for shorter people, but i'm only 6-0" which i think is normal range in Germany!

Con $15 - yes, the N20 REALLY does sounds like a diesel, but i like it, the whole experience is very Euro, much different feel than even a diesel X5 which seems very Americanized to me.

Con #22 - our paint (Mineral Grey Metallic) doesn't have any orange peel texture - it's very smooth at all angles.

Con $25 - wish my car actually had paddle shifters like it was supposed to!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
Excellent review. I feel like all cars are a compromise and I recently ordered the X1 fully knowing it won't drive as well as a 1 series or even as well as the upcoming 3 series wagon.

There are two major pros to the X1 compared to the 3 series that were left unsaid. Easier to park which is expecially important to city dwellers and significantly less expensive especially if you are willing to go lean on options and avoid the power seats which are now standard on the 3 series. Those two factors and the additional utility was why I choose the X1 after having previous driven a 135i and 328i earlier this year.

One criticism I have of the new 3 series is that despite iDrive with an LCD screen being standard on the 328i, BMW charges an additional $1955 to add navigation that reportedly comes with BMW Assist. Frankly that charge should be about $600 less. If I went with a 3 series, I wouldn't have gotten navigation since I had a hard time justifying the slightly larger screen and navigation/BMW Assist being worth $1955. With the X1, I had an easier time justifying the entire iDrive system being worth $2275. This criticism can be flopped around since perhaps it would have been nice for the X1 to have iDrive without navigation and the base price just increased by $325 (2275-1955).

If the one series 128i was out in hatchback form with the N20 engine and with 4 doors or two doors with a better look, I would have gone with that instead. I like the looks of the 1 series better then the X1 but I actually feel the X1 looks better given its mission.

If you are planning to get power seats on the X1 and you don't need the utility and you wouldn't miss navigation, I think most of those people outside of the snowbelt should get the 3 series instead and considering doing European delivery. ED on a 3 series is even more advantageous then on an X1 since the savings are higher.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stary View Post
nice review

Con #8 - mine doesn't seem to have the understeer your describe, it handles wonderfully getting on tight on-ramps . . maybe the M-sport helps in that regard?

Con #22 - our paint (Mineral Grey Metallic) doesn't have any orange peel texture - it's very smooth at all angles.

Con $25 - wish my car actually had paddle shifters like it was supposed to!
I doubt the Msport Pkg helps dial out understeer. I'd expect it to be worse in fact due to the wider tires in back. I didn't mean the car understeers all the time. It does so when pushed to the limit. Most cars are designed to understeer for safety and all cars understeer, oversteer or both simultaneously at the limit of adhesion. The difference is in the tendency to do one vs. the other and the ability to select between under and oversteer with the use of the accelerator or brakes.

Similarly, almost every car off an assembly line has some visual texture to its painted surface. They only difference is in the perceived depth of the orange peel-like look. The degree of orange peel on my X1 seems greater than on my previous BMWs; but it's only noticeable under the reflection of direct light in a low light environment.

That's too bad regarding the lack of paddle shifters because I just found a cool function that can only be accessed through the paddles and that is the ability to shift manually without going into S-mode first. When manual shift is activated in D-mode with the paddles, it automatically reverts back to D after about 10 seconds of inactivity (no manual shift inputs). This works well for me bec I don't like S-mode and don't like passing through it for manual mode, see Con #11. Unfortunately for some, this feature cannot be accessed without the paddles. I'm referring to the 8-spd tranny; not sure if this applies to the 6-spd auto also.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
#9 (the second #9), check engine because of gas cap, seems like it should've eventually gone off by itself...?

#17, lack of rechargeable flashlight in glovebox, they seemed to stop doing a while ago. Is there at least a hole for the AAA light? (Which I think they sell in the shop at the dealership...)

the_fox confirmed something I was going to ask about from a photo I saw... how the hell are there no rear seat vents???

#18, right headlight going farther, is quite possible, I believe they've long aimed them slightly differently, being conservative with the left to not dazzle oncoming drivers...

#21, moonroof issue--not sure I understand, but if you pull the control backwards twice quickly, doesn't the glass and shade move backward together, like my X3 does? Then I can stop it by hitting forward, I believe...

Last edited by TheCritic; 09-21-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:35 PM

All in all I'm less interested now then before, it seems like a pretty big step down from an X3 (features, passenger comfort, cargo space) and if I chose to forgo those it's not enough of a step up from a sportier 3 series coupe, sedan or especially wagon. But my curiosity will be revived if they do come out with a very efficient diesel.

Last edited by TheCritic; 09-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCritic View Post
#9 (the second #9), check engine because of gas cap, seems like it should've eventually gone off by itself...?

#17, lack of rechargeable flashlight in glovebox, they seemed to stop doing a while ago. Is there at least a hole for the AAA light? (Which I think they sell in the shop at the dealership...)

the_fox confirmed something I was going to ask about from a photo I saw... how the hell are there no rear seat vents???

#18, right headlight going farther, is quite possible, I believe they've long aimed them slightly differently, being conservative with the left to not dazzle oncoming drivers...

#21, moonroof issue--not sure I understand, but if you pull the control backwards twice quickly, doesn't the glass and shade move backward together, like my X3 does? Then I can stop it by hitting forward, I believe...
The gas cap warning light did trigger at the same time as the Service Engine Soon light and it did go out eventually but the Sevice light did not and could not be without input from the tech. That puzzled me as well. They had to run through a battery of test only to confirm that it was just the gas cap that they left loose.

There is no specific socket for the rechargeable flashlight that Parts sells. That flashlight just plugs into any universal 12V socket. The X1 does boast 4 sockets however.

No rear vents, but maybe just floor vents under the front seats.

Thanks for the tip on the SR. I'll try that to see if I can get the roof to open with the shade.

Overall the X1 is just a tall E9x series with a more versitile trunk at the expense of higher CG and more wind drag. If this is what you expect, you wont be surprised. I personally think the upcoming 3 wagon is the current way to go, but I'd choose X1 over the E93 wagon for the new engine and transmission (if they were available at the same time). We went with the X1 because my wife wanted taller seating positions without the wallow of larger SUVs...

Here a couple more recent observations:
The heated seats at the highest setting aren't that warm compared to other cars.

Has anyone looked at the battery under the luggage compartment floor, dead center? There are A BUNCH of wires going to and from that battery like an octopus. Not at all neatly tucked in fewer wire looms. Is this a cost cutting measure too? Looks like a high schooler went to town on a stereo install!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerized View Post
There is no specific socket for the rechargeable flashlight that Parts sells. That flashlight just plugs into any universal 12V socket. The X1 does boast 4 sockets however.
What I've seen/heard is a non-rechargeable LED pen-style flashlight (AAA battery size, not sure if that's the battery used inside) is often sold separately and there was a hole for it in the glove box, not sure if it's still the case, but it was what they'd initially offered instead of the old rechargeable. Haven't seen the standard (lighter) plug one yet. My original-style rechargeable sounded like a cool thing, but in practice it's not as useful as you'd think: not as bright as a Maglite and it's kind of difficult to get back into it's slot *without a flashlight*. Did just use it a couple days ago though while poking around in the fuse box.

Hopefully you find the moonroof opens like I said. Think I first read about that feature here on Bimmerfest, very useful!

Last edited by TheCritic; 09-21-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM

yup the moonroof shade does move simultaneously, but I couldn't get them to start at the same time no matter how fast I double clicked; the shade always has a good 7" lead, buy hey still a lot better than I thought, thanks!

I haven't seem the AAA flashlight, but what they are selling through Parts now is a rechargeable one that fits in the standard 12V socket. I guess that suffices, by why not inlcude it with all cars? For me it's not the flashlight so much as the what I've come to expect in a BMW. Loosing it is loosing part of BMWs identity.

Again and again we watch BMW spiral away from it's past traditions to compete with other car makers to maximize profit. The bean counters don't think the advantages pay as well as the savings especially when they factor in the potential profit of selling them at 3x markup in Parts. A good move to target growth. Sales is their target without much consideration to enthusiast and loyalist. IMO, this leaves the door open for another manufacturer to sweep the premium car enthusiast market, BMW is going soft and upscale to maiximize profit which leaves true driving enthusiasts open to more engaging rides without the expense of BMWs cache.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Another con: the sun visor mirrors are not lighted! I did not notice lighted mirrors as an option, but I would not have looked as I have always taken it for granted on past BMW's... oh well.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlevine View Post
Another con: the sun visor mirrors are not lighted! I did not notice lighted mirrors as an option, but I would not have looked as I have always taken it for granted on past BMW's... oh well.
I agree that BMW is not doing a very good job marketing their standards and options. I think they intensionally left this department deficient since the risk of inaccuracies do not outweight savings (cost cutting measure). However they did not realize that they are potentially losing profit as well. For example they certainly don't market the Lines very well for the X1; they don't mention ALL the features which may persuade buyers to select a Line. Conversely, there are many errors in their Ordering/Pricing/Standards and Options guides that may lead buyers to believe that certain items are standard, but aren't. I think these errors are a carryover from publications for other markets where options and standard equipment are different.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I agree that BMW is not doing a very good job marketing their standards and options. I think they intensionally left this department deficient since the risk of inaccuracies do not outweight savings (cost cutting measure). However they did not realize that they are potentially losing profit as well. For example they certainly don't market the Lines very well for the X1; they don't mention ALL the features which may persuade buyers to select a Line. Conversely, there are many errors in their Ordering/Pricing/Standards and Options guides that may lead buyers to believe that certain items are standard, but aren't. I think these errors are a carryover from publications for other markets where options and standard equipment are different.
I emailed customer service two days ago regarding missing options that I was expecting as advertised... no response so far.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Regarding not hearing back from BMW... way back when I had my X5 (one of the first, so I was an early adapter) I had trouble with my heater going berzerk all of a sudden. I made several trips to the dealer and they couldn't fix it (grrrrr).

Sooo, I posted my frustration on a BMW board (maybe this one, or another, I don't remember).

Well surprise, surprise, I got an EMAIL from BMW !!! They actually knew what my problem was and advised me to take the car to the dealer, who were told to change the capacitor in the heater (like a 50 cent part). Problem solved... be it in a more "round about" way than I would have liked.

My point to this story is I believe they watch these boards... especially if it is regarding something that is "actionable".

Soooo BMW corporate... if you're listening...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlevine View Post
Regarding not hearing back from BMW... way back when I had my X5 (one of the first, so I was an early adapter) I had trouble with my heater going berzerk all of a sudden. I made several trips to the dealer and they couldn't fix it (grrrrr).

Sooo, I posted my frustration on a BMW board (maybe this one, or another, I don't remember).

Well surprise, surprise, I got an EMAIL from BMW !!! They actually knew what my problem was and advised me to take the car to the dealer, who were told to change the capacitor in the heater (like a 50 cent part). Problem solved... be it in a more "round about" way than I would have liked.

My point to this story is I believe they watch these boards... especially if it is regarding something that is "actionable".

Soooo BMW corporate... if you're listening...

Interesting. I got an email back today: "Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. Your information has been forwarded to XXX at 1-800-831-1117. She is researching your inquiry and will call you soon to further assist you."

Also I have the equipment and option PDF that was revised in June 2012 that lists iDrive as standard on all models. The current version on the website was revised on August 2nd, and deleted that line. We ordered our car June 28th.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Great, thanks for the update. I ordered mine on June 4th w/o Tech also, so I'm in with you. Keep us posted. Call them after a week.

Just curious though, what are you looking/expecting to get from BMW? Cash, credit, an apology? The fact is, the lack of iDrive is, for the most part, inconsequential. Yes, I can't access Parked Car Ventilation through the radio as published, but whatelse are we loosing by not haveing an iDrive? In fact we are gaining simplicity and storage space, not to mention loosing weight.

Where were the other items we were promised but did not get?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Great, thanks for the update. I ordered mine on June 4th w/o Tech also, so I'm in with you. Keep us posted. Call them after a week.

Just curious though, what are you looking/expecting to get from BMW? Cash, credit, an apology? The fact is, the lack of iDrive is, for the most part, inconsequential. Yes, I can't access Parked Car Ventilation through the radio as published, but whatelse are we loosing by not haveing an iDrive? In fact we are gaining simplicity and storage space, not to mention loosing weight.

Where were the other items we were promised but did not get?
i want my car retrofitted with paddle shifters and driver's side power seat.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM

I really thought that people got what they actaully ordered as far as the paddles go. I know that people who actually specified it upon order got them, free. It's being debated why people had to tell their CA what they wanted or why the CA didn't ask. Is this because it was listed as a Standard item on one of the guides or the Online Configurator?

Did you really think you were getting power drivers seat with memory? I thought that was a clearly typo when I saw it and it wasn't on the Ordering/Pricing Guide. Never use the Online Configurator as it wasn't up when I ordered.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
I really thought that people got what they actaully ordered as far as the paddles go. I know that people who actually specified it upon order got them, free. It's being debated why people had to tell their CA what they wanted or why the CA didn't ask. Is this because it was listed as a Standard item on one of the guides or the Online Configurator?
You are correct - the paddles are a no cost option on the M Sport. Problem is, all the information we had access to indicated that the paddles were standard on the M sport package, and no action was required to get them. (See attached snapshot of the standard equipment list.) The configurator wouldn't allow you to add the paddles, so even if you printed the configuration and gave it to the dealership, they would have no idea you wanted paddles, which is exactly what happened in my situation. Only customers who were lucky enough to either see the order guide or had a CA that walked them through the configuration line by line knew they had to be ordered separately. Making matters worse, the online tracking system shows the vehicle equipped with the paddles even if it doesn't have them. (Attached is a copy of my specific configuration.) Until Beamerboi made me aware of the potential issue on this forum after my car was built, I had no idea I had a problem. With all the information pointing to the opposite, how could I?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X1 Equipment Snapshot.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	343670   Click image for larger version

Name:	M Sport Configuration.png
Views:	50
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	343672  

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
You are correct - the paddles are a no cost option on the M Sport. Problem is, all the information we had access to indicated that the paddles were standard on the M sport package, and no action was required to get them. (See attached snapshot of the standard equipment list.) The configurator wouldn't allow you to add the paddles, so even if you printed the configuration and gave it to the dealership, they would have no idea you wanted paddles, which is exactly what happened in my situation. Only customers who were lucky enough to either see the order guide or had a CA that walked them through the configuration line by line knew they had to be ordered separately. Making matters worse, the online tracking system shows the vehicle equipped with the paddles even if it doesn't have them. (Attached is a copy of my specific configuration.) Until Beamerboi made me aware of the potential issue on this forum after my car was built, I had no idea I had a problem. With all the information pointing to the opposite, how could I?
EXACTLY. Beamerboi was the first (on this forum) to deal with this issue. In fact, when I picked up my car, and had my discussion with the dealer about the lack of paddle shifters, he logged on to the dealer-based ordering software to order a mock M-sport s28i EQUIPPED WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS. He couldn't do it, even through the dealer software. He thanked me and said that in the future he would probably have to call BMW directly to special order the paddle shifter wheel.

This tells me that, currently, the dealers are way behind us in even knowing about the problem. And it's up to us to provide feedback so they can correct the problem.

I also have screen shots of my build order on BMWUSA indicating paddle shifters. Believe me, I'm saving them to email to BMWUSA when they tell me I'm wrong. And if they try changing the configuration and telling me I'm wrong in all of this, well I just might end up with a free car.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
EXACTLY. Beamerboi was the first (on this forum) to deal with this issue. In fact, when I picked up my car, and had my discussion with the dealer about the lack of paddle shifters, he logged on to the dealer-based ordering software to order a mock M-sport s28i EQUIPPED WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS. He couldn't do it, even through the dealer software. He thanked me and said that in the future he would probably have to call BMW directly to special order the paddle shifter wheel.

This tells me that, currently, the dealers are way behind us in even knowing about the problem. And it's up to us to provide feedback so they can correct the problem.

I also have screen shots of my build order on BMWUSA indicating paddle shifters. Believe me, I'm saving them to email to BMWUSA when they tell me I'm wrong. And if they try changing the configuration and telling me I'm wrong in all of this, well I just might end up with a free car.
Well, it's another problem if you had it indicated on your build order and you still didn't get it.

I still think it's the BMW's fault for not being ready to send out training material prior to the ability to order and partially the CA's fault for not understanding the Ordering Guide to best serve their customers.

If the lack of paddles was a deal breaker, why didn't you all refuse delivery and order another? I'm sure they would have been fine with that or the dealership could have absorbed the cost of the retrofit. And for those that didn't realize immediately, surely you noticed within days and should have been allowed to return the car. Is BMW failing to accept returns? If this were a more transparent deficiency, I think they'd be obligated to offer a refund to everyone. In this case you would be best served if you immediately contact the dealer to request an exchange/refund. Just like anything else, you should be able to return the product if it not as advertised, but the manufacturer is not obligated to fix a deficiency.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
If the lack of paddles was a deal breaker, why didn't you all refuse delivery and order another? I'm sure they would have been fine with that or the dealership could have absorbed the cost of the retrofit.
I absolutely could have refused delivery. My dealer offered to reorder the car with the paddles. But that would have been another six to eight weeks - pushing delivery later into the year than I wanted, not to mention moving the prime window of opportunity to sell my car. But more importantly, the $1,000 Drive rebate would have expired before the car arrived, and the dealer said it couldn't be extended despite the unusual circumstances. So in reordering, I would have paid an additional $1,000, lost two months of fall driving, plus potentially lost money on the sale of my Subaru ... all to get a "standard" feature.

And no, the dealer will not absorb the cost of the retrofit. In fact, they continue to insist they paddles can't be retrofitted at any cost.

I can't speak for others, but I would think some might have some lease implications, where reordering means returning their current lease at term completion and finding alternate transportation while awaiting the second delivery.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 AM

I think they should have made an exception for the $1000 allowance since this was their error. However I don't think they would be responsible for consequential "damages", regardless of the allowance since technically they didn't sell you anything yet and it was your choice to buy/not return. Since it was your choice to keep the car, I don't think they are obligated to do anymore. If the $1000 was the deciding factor I would taken that up the chain before taking delivery even if that meant waiting a day or two for the decision. BMW could have given you $1000 off your replacement, outside of the terms of the allowance. Whatever the situation, you should not be penalized for their mistake which includes lease agreements. A lease is just like a purchase, you should be able to return it w/o penalty if the item is not as advertised. If you didn't notice when you signed the lease, you should be given a reasonable amount of time to return the product.

This reminds me of the time Mazda offered to buy my Miata back for false advertisement. Everyone was given this offer whether they complained or now. For the case of the paddles there was an error in product specification but it wasn't advertised, was it? Where else besides the Standards and Options guide was Paddles listed as Standard?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
did your build order actually show the 7XA option instead of the standard 710? Was this obtained through the online tracking or through the VIN decoding? Regardless, both have errors, but the VIN decoding is usually accurate. However, my sDrive was spec'd with hydraulic steering based on VIN decoding...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 AM

I never implied BMW should be responsible for any "consequential damages", although the argument can be made. You asked why those of us that didn't receive the paddles didn't refuse and reorder, and that was one of several factors for me personally. The truth is, I like the car. I am just immensely disappointed it's not as I expected.

And yes, BMW's website did show paddle shifters as standard on the M Sport, but I believe that page has been removed or corrected. But somebody still has their head up their ass, as the website still indicates Alcantara is available, and even has them pictured - twice! Since Alcantara is not on the configurator or listed on the standard features list, it likely won't turn into the fiasco the paddle shifters has, but I still find the mistake to be careless and irresponsible.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...1explore.aspx#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	64
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	343732  

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX