Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Porsche to make world's most powerful diesel, beating out the X5 M50d

No additional comment necessary...

Porsche Announces the Cayenne S Diesel, Most Powerful Oilburner on the Market

by Christian Stampfer
Quote:
Porsche will soon add a second diesel model to its Cayenne line-up. The Porsche Cayenne S Diesel will join the current Cayenne Diesel and the Panamera Diesel to become the companies third diesel-powered model. The new Cayenne S Diesel will win Porsche the title of the most powerful diesel automobile.
The …
Read the full story »

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Ads by Google
Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
No mention of the BMW X5 M50d fuel consumption. Maybe it hasn't been determined yet??

Gee, I didn't know a Cayenne was an automobile. I thought it was an SUV or crossover. Don't we call that a truck usually?

PL
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
No mention of the BMW X5 M50d fuel consumption. Maybe it hasn't been determined yet??...
According to official data from Europe, the X5 M50d gets 7.5 liters/100 km, and 199 g CO2/km in the NEDC - http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/sea...aspx?vid=29246.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 AM

Just saw a commercial where one other carmaker, Kia or Hyundai I think, called one of their crossovers a "car."

I think there is a place for "the most powerful SUV" - in a museum.

PL
Old 09-16-2012, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Let the diesel wars begin!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Let the diesel wars begin!
Mercedes phased out their V8 diesels due to lack of demand. From a post on another forum:

"The V8 diesel (2005-2009 S420 CDI, 2009-2010 S450CDI) was phased out with the mid-cycle refresh of the S-Class in 2010. More than 90% of S-Class buyers in Europe chose the V6 diesel. The V8 diesel and all gassers combined were less than 10% of volume. Now they have a 4-cylinder as the base diesel in the S-Class. They expect it to outsell the six in a few years. "

Mercedes already has a 4 cylinder diesel engine with 201 hp and 369 ft-lbs of torque, an engine that would make a full size 4WD Suburban (they make them smaller than they used to) work quite well.

Remember the V10 Diesel Touareg and the "demand" for it? Not.

Any demand for the Porsche will be from those that wish to tow their race cars to the track or dubious ego-driven horsepower bragging rights.

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 09-16-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:

Any demand for the Porsche will be from those that wish to tow their race cars to the track or dubious ego-driven horsepower bragging rights.

PL
That's right and there are plenty of egos that need stroking here in the US.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
that's right and there are plenty of egos that need stroking here in the us.
lol!

PL
Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I would love to have that 4 cyl turbo diesel in any Tahoe or Yukon! I loved my Tahoe but the gas mileage sucked big time. That diesel would be just the ticket. Of course, the General would never do that -- makes too much sense. Would be great in a half ton pick up as well!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I would love to have that 4 cyl turbo diesel in any Tahoe or Yukon! I loved my Tahoe but the gas mileage sucked big time. That diesel would be just the ticket. Of course, the General would never do that -- makes too much sense. Would be great in a half ton pick up as well!
Yeah they spent a bit of money developing a smaller, innovative V8 diesel to be made in NY State before the bankruptcy but the project was canned.

PL
Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Well, maybe Ford might do something like that. They seem to be the "innovators" in this latest engineering competition among the domestics. I could live with a diesel Expedition or even a king cab F-150.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:

Remember the V10 Diesel Touareg and the "demand" for it? Not.

PL
I wanted one of these when they were new and it was impossible for me to find one without buying it "used" at a hefty premium over msrp of a new one. I seem to remember not many were ever made and I also seem to remember they could not be sold new I states that have CARB. At the time it sure seemed like they had massive demand but limited production probably ave that impression. Although not like Porsche produces massive numbers of each model so there might be just plenty of demand for an S diesel.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Well, maybe Ford might do something like that. They seem to be the "innovators" in this latest engineering competition among the domestics. I could live with a diesel Expedition or even a king cab F-150.
Ford many times has started the R&D for a small diesel in an F150 and it always is dropped. I believe the last effort they dropped because of increased costs of diesel fuel but Google could probably state the reasons. I also believe that engine ended up going into Range Rovers sold outside the US. For some reason I don't see a diesel engine coming in a Ford within the States and their strong focus on EcoBoost is why I think that.

With that all said, all I really need is a half ton truck so I'd love to be able to replace my 2003 F250 with a diesel powered half ton but it is just me dreaming.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 AM

The EPA puts up numbers that are unrealistic and the public buys them. Diesels are usually better while gasoline numbers are worse in reality. US and Japanese Manufacturers such as GM and Honda build to the test while European carmakers whose market share is different for such cars don't. Only the most knowledgeable and mechanically savvy delve into the diesel car world in the US. There's a much bigger market for more powerful diesel engines in the heavy duty trucks. Bone-headed car journalists, true to their trade, can't see past their noses to treat diesels equally for their performance potential. Truck people know about diesels but will usually try to get power and drag race you with them, in my experience, so smaller truck diesels won't find themselves in cars to offset development cost and don't seem to have a market to the manufacturers for all these reasons.

PL
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
They are using 40% more displacement, 33% more cylinders and injectors to make 0.2% more power than the BMW. Personally, my favorite engine configuration is the inline 6. Glad to have two of them.

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
@TDIwyse DITTO!!! proud owner myself
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM

Personally I could care less what is used to make the power just so long as it drives in a manner that puts a grin on my face.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
True off roaders will want the monsterous torque of 626 lb-ft to drive all 4 wheels. I don't envision a Cayenne S to hardly get on a dirt trail let alone buried in 4 feet of mud. Put that powertrain in a Jeep Wrangler and then we wouldhave a door to door (as opposed to ear to ear) grin. That kind of torque sounds like a blown 426 hemi or stroked 440 chrysler.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
jeep has been saying they would make a diesel wrangler since I first entered college... 1998...