Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Battery recharge sign....after new battery

alright. so, i bought my 745i like 2 weeks ago. the battery died on my last week, i got it replaced by a professional workshop. i dont think it's an OEM, but i trust the guy. he knew how to install it and everything, he told me the battery will last 10 years, with a replacement warranty of 2 years. I bought this for $240. good deal. alright, a week has passed, but, when i stick my key in, not starting it, and maybe just check the idrive menu for a minute, the "Recharge Battery" sign always comes up. I ran a search, found some people say i need to program it to my car. so I give BMW of Mississauga a call, and they say that all I do is put the battery in and im done, no need to program/register or anything like that. maybe it's different here since i live in Canada. so far i'm ignoring the recharge battery sign, am i doing the correct thing or will it cause problems in the future?

Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
battery needs to be registered.

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySkills View Post
alright. so, i bought my 745i like 2 weeks ago. the battery died on my last week, i got it replaced by a professional workshop. i dont think it's an OEM, but i trust the guy. he knew how to install it and everything, he told me the battery will last 10 years, with a replacement warranty of 2 years. I bought this for $240. good deal. alright, a week has passed, but, when i stick my key in, not starting it, and maybe just check the idrive menu for a minute, the "Recharge Battery" sign always comes up. I ran a search, found some people say i need to program it to my car. so I give BMW of Mississauga a call, and they say that all I do is put the battery in and im done, no need to program/register or anything like that. maybe it's different here since i live in Canada. so far i'm ignoring the recharge battery sign, am i doing the correct thing or will it cause problems in the future?
find a new dealer that knows what they are doing.

Quote:
In September 2002, the first so-called VRLA batteries, better known as AGM batteries came into use.
VRLA means valve-regulated lead acid, i.e. lead acid battery with pressure relief valve AGM stands for absorbent glass mat, i.e. absorbent glass-fibre fleece.

AGM batteries are installed in models with electrical consumers that have high energy requirements.AGM batteries are more expensive to produce, however this extra cost is offset by the following benefits:

Much longer service life

Improved starting reliability at low temperatures

Reliable starting of engines with high starting current requirements

100% maintenance-free

Low risk in the event of an accident (reduced environmental risk)

Depending on the equipment fitted on the vehicle, AGM batteries (90 Ah) are currently installed in the following development model series:
- E39
- E46
- E53
- E60, E61, E63, E64
- E65, E66
- E70
- E81, E87, E90, E91, E92, E93

AGM batteries will be fitted as standard as part of CO2 measures (e.g. intelligent alternator regulation or automatic engine start/stop system).
The continuously increasing energy requirements of modern vehicle electrical systems demands ever more efficient battery solutions. A modern luxury-class vehicle has some 100 actuator motors that have to be fed with electrical current.
Then there are the safety, environmental and convenience elements, which are increasingly becoming standard, for example:
- Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Electro-mechanical power steering (EPS)
- Heated catalytic converter
- Electronic chassis control
- Air conditioning system
- Navigation system

In contrast to conventional lead-calcium batteries, the sulphuric acid in a battery with fleece technology is not held freely in the battery housing.
Rather, 100% of the sulphuric acid is bound into the mats of the glass-fibre fleece (separators). For this reason, no acid can escape if the battery housing is damaged. In addition, the AGM battery is sealed to be airtight. This is possible because the gases are converted back into water by the permeability of the separators.

AGM batteries can be recognised by the black housing and the lack of the so-called "magic eye".

CHARGING
Caution: Do not charge AGM batteries with 14.8 volts. Do not use rapid-charging programs!

When recharging batteries that have been removed (so-called stand-alone batteries), the maximum charge voltage of 14.8 volts at room temperature must not be exceeded. Similarly, when recharging using a battery-positive support point, the maximum charge voltage of 14.8 volts at room temperature must not be exceeded.
Applying a charge voltage greater than 14.8 volts to recharge an AGM battery, even only briefly, will result in concealed damage to the battery. A charge voltage greater than 14.8 volts is mainly used in quick-charge programs.

Only recharge the battery with a battery charger that has been approved by BMW.

If the battery is to be recharged while it is still installed, it must be recharged using the battery-positive support point. On vehicles with intelligent battery sensor, it is then certain that recharging is correctly recognised by the vehicle electronics.

On vehicles with intelligent battery sensor, the battery charge state could be misinterpreted if the battery is recharged directly at the battery terminals.
Under certain circumstances, it may even happen that unnecessary Check-Control messages appear or that fault memory entries are stored.

The battery temperature should be between 15 C and 25 C during recharging. Under these conditions, the battery is adequately charged when the charge current drops below 2.5 amps.

If the battery is recharged at low temperatures, recharging must not be ended until the charge current drops below 1.5 amps.

In principle, the battery must be registered with the BMW diagnosis system after every battery change.
If Not,the data stored in the power management will not be reset. The battery quality will then correspond to an older battery. The value for the battery quality is insufficient for the battery installed. The battery charge state may then be misinterpreted and unnecessary Check-Control messages may appear or fault memory entries may be stored (e.g. the Check-Control message "Recharge battery" even though the battery fitted is new and fully charged).

Open Circuit Voltage-State of Battery Charge

OCV
(State of Charge)

12.65 volts
100%

12.45 volts
75%

12.24 volts
50%

12.06 volts
25%

11.89 volts
Discharged

There is a possibility of the battery eventually discharging if the driver leaves the vehicle parked up for a long period without removing the key from the ignition lock completely.If the key is not removed from the ignition lock completely (semi-removed status), there is a critical distance between the key and the ring antenna where the EWS will detect statuses permanently changing between "key inserted" and "key removed". This will result in a permanent closed circuit current of approximately 800 mA.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...716&highlight=

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM

maybe its cuz i got a canadian model......? i dunno

Old 03-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
Quote:
Listen to sunny, it has to be registered.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 PM

k. i got a couple of questions for you guys, since i'm new here to bimmerfest:

1) how much is it to cost get registered at a bmw center

2) what if i dont register it, what will happen (if i ignore the messages)

Last edited by OnlySkills; 03-30-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E60 550iM, E66 745Li
you should register it for the simple fact you wont be getting those damn messages again

also did you even get an oem battery? make sure they didnt use a battery that might end up causing issues down the road

when i bought my car they changed out the battery for me before i picked it up but forgot to register it......just to name a few of the issues i had due to that:
a/c would no blow as hard
constant warnings
stereo wouldnt play loud

as soon as i went back like 2 days later they said sorry for the inconvience and registered my battery for me, when i got my car back the a/c blew cold and hard, stereo sounded alot louder and i didnt have to deal with the damn warnings

and no the battey was not defective nor did they replace it, my SA said simply that if its not registered those are some of the symptoms due to the car things battery is bad and trying to conserve engergy so you are not stranded next time you go to start her up
hope that clears it up a bit for you
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
it doesnt matter, even with the jupiter model you have to register it.

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 03-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
it doesnt matter, even with the jupiter model you have to register it.
understood

since i already got another battery
if I take it to the dealership, how much would it cost me to get it registered...
that is, if they were to charge me, which is a probably

Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 730d, SL 55 AMG
Is it like this for all models? Do all of them really need registration? I replaced the OEM battery with a new non-oem battery, and I'm not having any issues or any kind of warning, everything seems to be working fine.I haven't done any kind of registration
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Quote:
understood

since i already got another battery
if I take it to the dealership, how much would it cost me to get it registered...
that is, if they were to charge me, which is a probably

In the AM, call some dealerships.....they'll tell you how much & what will happen if you ignore the messages. Many answers to your questions can be found quite easily with a simple search-keywords [register battery]

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 AM
MERK MODE

Send a message via MSN to gridlock249
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
For winter I leave my vehicle in the garage for storage. I notice after a week the batter dies out completely. Trunk wont open and lights don't come up, battery is completely drained. I charged my vehicle by accessing it from the hood. Again noticed after 5 days the battery is drained again.

I did follow the instructions to put the battery to sleep mode in the trunk. Doesn't seem to help if the battery is drained after 5 days of no use. Is this normal or is something draining the battery charge?

J//
Upgraded AIB/HID lights| HID Foglight

Development: LED Lights | IPOD audio compatible

(C) SAFEKICKS INC. ENTERTAINMENT. ::
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlock249 View Post
For winter I leave my vehicle in the garage for storage. I notice after a week the batter dies out completely. Trunk wont open and lights don't come up, battery is completely drained. I charged my vehicle by accessing it from the hood. Again noticed after 5 days the battery is drained again.

I did follow the instructions to put the battery to sleep mode in the trunk. Doesn't seem to help if the battery is drained after 5 days of no use. Is this normal or is something draining the battery charge?

J//
I would just start it for a couple mins after every other day.....not hard isn't it?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 AM
MERK MODE

was gone overseas. No one was around to do that. // Its almost summer now so I already began to do work on the vehicle. Finished putting in the sound system and will drop the rims, hdd kits, and some body work by this weekend.

J//

Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
Quote:
I would just start it for a couple mins after every other day.....not hard isn't it?
Starting it like that will only make things worse, if you want to give decent advice just tell him to get a battery charger and leave it hooked up so the battery will trickle charge and stay in proper condition.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745ByMySide View Post
Starting it like that will only make things worse, if you want to give decent advice just tell him to get a battery charger and leave it hooked up so the battery will trickle charge and stay in proper condition.
starting also helps. it recieves charges from the battery, and if you do it for a couple mins, it will charge, even if it's a bit, it's enough. it's what i did and it was running always.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 AM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
did you forget to change the battery under the front passenger seat and the one behind the glove box?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 AM
MERK MODE

glove box? there batter in the right side of the trunk panel access. I don't want to change the batter unless I have to. Havn't had any other issues with the batter other than this.

J//

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
Quote:
k. i got a couple of questions for you guys, since i'm new here to bimmerfest:

1) how much is it to cost get registered at a bmw center

2) what if i dont register it, what will happen (if i ignore the messages)
since nobody really answered clearly, let me just add my view of this ordeal... ive been down your road and have changed the battery without registration, so i know what can and can not happen...

at first everything functioned fine, so i was all hoopty dandy and happy... but, prematurely, cells in the battery started to die... why would this happen? especially after driving the car on so many long trips... turns out, the power module monitors battery health, as well as many other things... it will automatically adjust load and charge according to the lifespan and health of the battery... in my case, the alternator was not sending much charge to the battery cause the power module was thinking it didn't need it... why did the power module think this? because the battery was not registered..... plain and simple... the vehicle did not know what type of battery was installed, or even that it was replaced... so all the electrical consumers i was using (stereo, ac, heated seats etc etc) were putting excessive loads on the battery, which eventually killed it....

moral of story, please register battery regardless of cost to avoid trouble down the road...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjothundal View Post
since nobody really answered clearly, let me just add my view of this ordeal... ive been down your road and have changed the battery without registration, so i know what can and can not happen...

at first everything functioned fine, so i was all hoopty dandy and happy... but, prematurely, cells in the battery started to die... why would this happen? especially after driving the car on so many long trips... turns out, the power module monitors battery health, as well as many other things... it will automatically adjust load and charge according to the lifespan and health of the battery... in my case, the alternator was not sending much charge to the battery cause the power module was thinking it didn't need it... why did the power module think this? because the battery was not registered..... plain and simple... the vehicle did not know what type of battery was installed, or even that it was replaced... so all the electrical consumers i was using (stereo, ac, heated seats etc etc) were putting excessive loads on the battery, which eventually killed it....

moral of story, please register battery regardless of cost to avoid trouble down the road...

yea, i got my battery replaced and registered for 450 bucks just a week ago and everything is perfect.........sorry for not updating.

Conclusion - It's best to get OEM Batteries; Always register your battery.
Done.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li/X5 4.4i/335XI
There are 2 batteries, and I got the main battery replaced, since then never have any problems.

[B]2006 760li Opal Black/creme white merino leather; piano black trim; individual package. 2008 335XI Black/Dakota brown. 2002 X5 Black/Black.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boafa View Post
There are 2 batteries, and I got the main battery replaced, since then never have any problems.
where's the second one?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Convertible
I don't think one of main questions on this thread has actually been answered yet...does battery registration have to be performed by a dealer, and what is the cost for registration if you end up replacing the battery yourself?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Old thread, but I'm still here.

The battery can be replaced by the dealer, a BMW Indy shop, or a specialist. They actually use an instrument to register it to the computer.

I believe only OEM or similar (Spiral Cell) batteries can be registered. Others cannot, correct me if I'm wrong, but they can't connect the battery to the BMW 7 Series electrical system.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: E65 745
i'm starting to get dizzy from reading this ! what with all the tooing and frowing ! my car also gives out the recharge battery warning afetr a couple of mins without the engine running ! i've had it a year and i know the battery was replaced a fortnight before i bought it ! SO , other than the warning i've had no issue's ! everthing works as it should ! the battery is not oem and was fitted at indy bmw garage ! a mate of mine does diagnostics so if some one knows how you register a battery then i'll get him to do it for me in return for a few cold ones !!