Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Only someone with a e65 would be carting a laptop in the car with dynastic software loaded and a cable....., lol focking cars are priceless.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
When my alternator went bad the car was running, did you hear this noise before...... Still drove the car.....then it died?

Mine sounded more like a rod was pushing up threw the head, really loud and scared the $hit out of me as I only owned the car for 4 days.

You have the entertainment package and heated seats the car will have the 180 amp alternator. Sometime in 2003 BMW switched out the water cooled unit??????

I have the water cooled alt in my car and paid 700.00 for the part plus 3 hrs labor, plus tax. Ran about 1100.00.

You can call BMW with your vin and see what part you need. I read that pep boys or another parts house carries a remanufactured alternator for our cars for about 580.00 for the water cooled. It is a duralast???? Don't recall..it did come with a lifetime warrantee where the Bosch has a two year.

I didn't have any faults on my car, no lights, nothing..... Just bang, bang, bang, bang......
I came to my gf work tried to turn around on the parking lot back and forth ( and that was after being stuck in traffic) i turned my music down and i was thinking there is somebody near me driving a dirt bike or cutting wood with the saw. Then i parked and stepped on the gas ( sound became louder) i popped the hood and figured it was coming from my car my first thought was there is something wrong with radiator fan blades maybe one of them flew off or something. Then i shut the car down started again-same thing. Did it couple times actually. Then i drove for about a mile and i stopped to let ppl across the street and the engine cut off
Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
If the alternator seized you should be happy it happened at idle. If it happened when you were driving fast it would have snapped the belt as well. When a belt snaps it can fly around and damage something else plus depending on how it snap it can make a loud noise if it hits something under the hood and that would have given you a serious scare
Crap lol turned out im a lucky guy. Lol
Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Major

I think i have that 180 amp alternator water-cooled. If its under 1500$ im happy. I was actually thinking to replace it next time car goes for oil. Do u guys recommend to replace the belt as well even tho it didnt snap
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
Crap lol turned out im a lucky guy. Lol
And you will feel even luckier if you call the mechanic and tell them you think your alternator has seized. Just ask them to remove the belt and try to start the car. The belt comes off fairly easily and it should save you money if they don't have to spend too much time diagnosing the car.

I remember one person on here who bought a 7 dirt cheap because it wouldn't start and all it was only a seized alternator. I'm hoping that we are right and it's just the alternator.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Major

Quote:
Only someone with a e65 would be carting a laptop in the car with dynastic software loaded and a cable....., lol focking cars are priceless.
Hahahahaha i agree. It kinda lives there )))) well got some compliments while waiting for the tow truck. Btw he scratched the **** out of my new exhaust tips (used ama) supervisor came to the shop where the car was being dropped off took pics and told me to call my exhaust guy to let him know hes going to have more business lol. Someone is going to call me from AMA to arrange repairs for new tips
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Major

Quote:
And you will feel even luckier if you call the mechanic and tell them you think your alternator has seized. Just ask them to remove the belt and try to start the car. The belt comes off fairly easily and it should save you money if they don't have to spend too much time diagnosing the car.

I remember one person on here who bought a 7 dirt cheap because it wouldn't start and all it was only a seized alternator. I'm hoping that we are right and it's just the alternator.
I have my fingers crossed and thats exactly what im going to tell my tech tmrw. What happens when u remove the belt and try to start it? Should i replace the belt
Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Quote:
I think i have that 180 amp alternator water-cooled. If its under 1500$ im happy. I was actually thinking to replace it next time car goes for oil. Do u guys recommend to replace the belt as well even tho it didnt snap
Well, if it was me I would replace the belts, I would replace the tensioner pulleys and while they are there replace the alternator bracket gasket as it is prone to leak.

I hope it's something this simple.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
I have my fingers crossed and thats exactly what im going to tell my tech tmrw. What happens when u remove the belt and try to start it? Should i replace the belt
When you remove the belt then the engine does not have to spin the seized alternator so if it's a seized alternator causing the issue, the car would start. Right now the starter can't spin the motor because when the motor starts it spins the belt which spins the alternator... Your alternator is seized so belt can't turn.

With the belt off you are running just on battery power. If you have a fully charged battery theoretically you should be able to run the car for 120 minutes just on battery. Our car uses an AGM battery that has a reserve of 120 minutes.

I would replace the belt as well because you don't know how much stress it was already under with a failing alternator.

Last edited by DFEL750I; 09-15-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Major

Quote:
Well, if it was me I would replace the belts, I would replace the tensioner pulleys and while they are there replace the alternator bracket gasket as it is prone to leak.

I hope it's something this simple.
Thx i made copy of what u said to let my mechanic know.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Major

Quote:
When you remove the belt then the engine does not have to spin the seized alternator so if it's a seized alternator causing the issue, the car would start. Right now the starter can't spin the motor because when the motor starts it spins the belt which spins the alternator... Your alternator is seized so belt can't turn.

With the belt off you are running just on battery power. If you have a fully charged battery theoretically you should be able to run the car for 120 minutes just on battery. Our car uses an AGM battery that has a reserve of 120 minutes.

I would replace the belt as well because you don't know how much stress it was already under with a failing alternator.
Thx man that makes sense. Ill keep you guys updated on whats going on with this. I was always skipping threads on alternator and battery here. Now it bites me in the azz. I had no time to research thats why i made this thread.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Major

I really appreciate all ur help and ideas.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
So, Im by no means an expert in these cars, but Ive been monkeying with cars for many years... YEars and years ago I had a Lincoln MK 7 LSC (mustang 5.0 in it, etc, great car btw).
I was in downtonw chicago and waiting to make a left turn through traffic...as i started to move, the car just quit dead. everything shut off, car wouldnt crank, etc. Turned out to be an alternator. Sometimes when they fail they take everything out with it (electrically), so you may be very lucky and it could be that simple...
Before then, i had always thought that when an alternator goes bad, it just doesnt charge the battery and the battery suffers a slow death, but you would get warning lights, etc....but i guess not!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW 745Li E66
Sorry to hear about your problems there. I did some research online and I found a DIY alternator install if you're interested. Well written with lots of pix. Here's the link
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=6&t=124647

Old 09-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Major

Thx guys. I have repair manual and everything i just dont have time for it. im leaving out of town tmrw for work so my mechanic will take care of the alternator. ))
Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
First of all check battery voltage,
If its all ok, try to jump start it, bc if alternator died the battery could simply ran out of juice.
BUT: 99,9% smth is stuck:
Could be ac pump
Alternator or any other bearings
So remove all the belts and Jump start it, almost sure it will start!!!

Last edited by SFbay; 09-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Major

Here what i got for the codes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1347833909.541367.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	342080   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1347833926.742482.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	342081  
Old 09-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Here what i got for the codes
You're not getting it, inpa won't show much when engine is not running
You need to start it first
Even water pump might stuck
Remove all the belts first and it will get back to life. Also check if water pump is spinning nicely
If it died while running and now it won't even crank it means it's stuck
If its stuck bc of belts or water pump you're lucky one, if it's crankshaft issue then you need new engine.
Computer won't even spin your starter if it's stuck or uses too much power to spin the starter. Got it?

Last edited by SFbay; 09-16-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Major

I removed that belt which runs through the alternator and tried to start the car it doesnt crank or anything but alternator's pulley isnt moving at all
Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
I removed that belt which runs through the alternator and tried to start the car it doesnt crank or anything but alternator's pulley isnt moving at all
So alternator got stuck first and screwed up your engine timing chain probably ;((( ac belt is removed as well?
How is water pump pulley??
Well, now try to turn the crankcase pulley, if it's stuck then engine is seized;(((
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Major

Removed all belts. Everything spins but alternator. But car doesnt crank
Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Removed all belts. Everything spins but alternator. But car doesnt crank
Turn the biggest crankshaft pulley with a tool.... If its not stuck then it's starter relay issue or starter itself, bc you tried to start it with stuck alt

Last edited by SFbay; 09-16-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Major

Yeah it doesnt turn
Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Major

Well i tried it with my hands dont have tools on me just couple of screw drivers
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Yeah it doesnt turn
It should spin a little with screwdriver, but you need 50mm wrench smth, there is big nut in the center...
There is no way you can turn it with bare hands unless you're shwarzenegger in his 30s
Probably valves are touching pistons bc timing got screwed...
Damn that sucks... Alt screwed up the engine... How come your belt didn't snap instead???

Last edited by SFbay; 09-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.