Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 XDrive 30i
Any visibility of a Power Hatch?

I'm on my 2nd X5, and I considered downsizing to a X1. I'm excited that the X1 finally made it to the U.S., but after a recent visit to my dealer, I found out there is NO power tailgate/hatch option? WHAT???? Does anyone have any inside info that would give me some hope the power hatch is coming soon?

PhastPhil
2013 328i CV, Crimson Red/Black/Nav/H-K/Convenience/Premium
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
2004 X5 - Gone, but not forgotten
1987 325e (e for extremely slow)gone and trying to forget
2 Wheel BMW 2002 R1150RA, Black - ABS, FI, 3.8 sec 0-60, all other colors at least .1 sec slower.
Ads by Google
Old 09-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: '07 E92 335i
I wondered the same thing. It's a huge oversight bc this will undoubtedly turn away some potential buyers for something that is seemingly easy to add as an option. Shorter people like myself can't reach the tailgate so what are we to do? At least have a strap so we have something to reach for if we can't actually reach the tailgate. Hope they add it as an option next year when my lease is up. Seems like a great little sav otherwise
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epham View Post
I wondered the same thing. It's a huge oversight bc this will undoubtedly turn away some potential buyers for something that is seemingly easy to add as an option. Shorter people like myself can't reach the tailgate so what are we to do? At least have a strap so we have something to reach for if we can't actually reach the tailgate. Hope they add it as an option next year when my lease is up. Seems like a great little sav otherwise
I was a bit disappointed when I looked through the ordering guide.....and then confirmed it with the BMW dealer in NYC (which is owned by BMW), so I thought the info was fairly factual. The X1 is really a 2011 model, so I don't understand the missing option....of course the Europeans would probably frown upon the power liftgate as the do the multitude of cup holder us Americans insist on!

I have my local dealer trying to get a date on when it will be offered...I'll post that here unless someone else has more to offer.

Phil

PhastPhil
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
2 Wheel BMW 2002 R1150RA, Black - ABS, FI, 3.8 sec 0-60, all other colors at least .1 sec slower.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
It's not that big of a deal. The hatch is easily closed by hand without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastphil View Post
I was a bit disappointed when I looked through the ordering guide.....and then confirmed it with the BMW dealer in NYC (which is owned by BMW), so I thought the info was fairly factual. The X1 is really a 2011 model, so I don't understand the missing option....of course the Europeans would probably frown upon the power liftgate as the do the multitude of cup holder us Americans insist on!

I have my local dealer trying to get a date on when it will be offered...I'll post that here unless someone else has more to offer.

Phil
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27 View Post
It's not that big of a deal. The hatch is easily closed by hand without any issues.
Hi
this is not a physical issue (LOL) I work out, have plenty of upper strength, it's a WANT not a NEED issue....I got spoiled when I traded my '04 X5 for the '09 X5 and it had the power hatch/tailgate.....now I like pressing the HATCH button on the remote and having the back open by the time I arrive to store my packages.....but all kidding aside, my wife is only 5' and she has trouble reaching the tailgate when it's up....which means I would have get out to close it every time she opened it.

I have another year on my warranty/maintenance plan, so no rush, so I'm hoping it appears on the option/package list next year.

PhastPhil
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
I highly doubt it will be added E84 before the next X1 generation comes out. I believe the next X1 is due for the 2015 or 2016 model year and it'll likely be a FWD, so the RWD E84 sDrive will go down in history as the best driving X1 ever, despite the lack of a power tailgate.

I think they wanted to keep the base price down for the X1 as well as have some options exclusive to the X3/X5.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerized View Post
I highly doubt it will be added E84 before the next X1 generation comes out. I believe the next X1 is due for the 2015 or 2016 model year and it'll likely be a FWD, so the RWD E84 sDrive will go down in history as the best driving X1 ever, despite the lack of a power tailgate.

I think they wanted to keep the base price down for the X1 as well as have some options exclusive to the X3/X5.
Hmmm, NOT exactly what I wanted to hear.....but it is what it is.....the dealer in NYC said 'next year', my local dealer says 'not anytime soon'. As far as cost, it could easily be added to one of the 'Packages' without impacting the price drastically. The ULTIMATE package is over $6000 - WOW, I'm sure they could fit a couple of motorized pistons in there without a problem.

Thanks for your reply.....
Phil

PhastPhil
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
It is bad that they don't have a power hatch. When I talked to my CA he told me to get the X3 if I want it
My main issue is that this would be my wife's main driver and she is also only 5' tall. I saw the Mercedes GLK has it as an option, the Acura RDX does too. Different cars I know but at least price wise competing for buyers.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Not happy....

Well, I don't want an X3, downsizing from a X5, and although the X3 has finally become the X-car/SAV it should have been when it was introduced, I'm holding out for a X1.

I've also got very used to the Hill Descent feature on the X5, although we don't have any hill (to speak of) here in Florida. I really find it convenient to set the HOLD button while in bumper to bumper traffic. Also for getting a JUMP on Infinity drivers who try to beat me off the line.....up to 40-50 I got them. We had this same feature on my (street) drag race cars back in the 60's when - I think Hurst was the first to come up with a front wheel brake HOLD. Great for HOLE SHOTS.

Phil

PhastPhil
2009 X5 Silver/Gray