Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Question E90 325i When at Idle and in Drive, there is a slight vibration ?

Hi,

I have a problem which I think is going to be a pain to diagnose. Basically I went on holidays for about 3 months, connected the battery back up etc etc Car ran fine or I didn't notice the issue for about a week.

Now I'm noticing that when at idle in Drive there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel and it can be felt on the seats as well. If I turn the AC on the issue goes away. The car idles at around 600RPM which I'm pretty sure is normal.

I'm going to scan the car for codes tomorrow, but I have a feeling nothing will come up. The car drives fine and everything is great until I'm at a traffic light with the AC OFF. The revs don't fluctuate or anything. If I didn't know any better I would say it's an engine mount, but I haven't noticed anyone replacing those at about 65,000 Miles.

Any clues or suggestions. (Car has new spark plugs and all 6 coils got changed as well, just before I left for holidays).

Last edited by aleks001; 09-28-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 PM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Scanned for codes today and nothing came up. Also I think the issue is getting better, I'm not sure if it might be all in my head.

If it gets worse, I'll replace the engine mount and take it from there. I cant see it being anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 PM
ivibmw ivibmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 325i
i had a similar issue and it was my airbox vibrating. check the rubber seals on the airbox where it mounts to the body. it vibrated mostly at idle and did the same vibration in the seats and steering wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
Now I'm noticing that when at idle in Drive there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel and it can be felt on the seats as well. If I turn the AC on the issue goes away. The car idles at around 600RPM which I'm pretty sure is normal.
.
Yes....a palsied shake.

Not unusual among those of an older generation, the problem is, simply, that your old friend is aging.

However! This innocuous behavior may be a symptom of deeper issues. Parkinson's disease.....muscular dystrophy.... and famously, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Please have your vehicle checked by a specialist. Many such conditions can be cured, or at minimum contained. With treatment, your vehicle can live a rich and full life! Don't delay - early detection is key to a successful outcome.

Have you done an Italian Tuneup?

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivibmw View Post
i had a similar issue and it was my airbox vibrating. check the rubber seals on the airbox where it mounts to the body. it vibrated mostly at idle and did the same vibration in the seats and steering wheel.
I checked the airbox by trying to wiggle it a little and it is stuck good so i dont think its the culprit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
.
Yes....a palsied shake.

Not unusual among those of an older generation, the problem is, simply, that your old friend is aging.

However! This innocuous behavior may be a symptom of deeper issues. Parkinson's disease.....muscular dystrophy.... and famously, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Please have your vehicle checked by a specialist. Many such conditions can be cured, or at minimum contained. With treatment, your vehicle can live a rich and full life! Don't delay - early detection is key to a successful outcome.

Have you done an Italian Tuneup?

.
Ahahaha funny fella arn't you I'm this cars doctor, It's been maintained by me for the year I've had it so far. It will only go to a specialist if I can't figure out the problem. But at the moment I don't think this is fixable, because no codes come up in DIS. 2. The car runs and drives perfectly. 3. The issue is very minor and it almost feels like it's getting less and less noticable.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
Ahahaha funny fella arn't you I'm this cars doctor, It's been maintained by me for the year I've had it so far. It will only go to a specialist if I can't figure out the problem. But at the moment I don't think this is fixable, because no codes come up in DIS. 2. The car runs and drives perfectly. 3. The issue is very minor and it almost feels like it's getting less and less noticable.
Good luck with it - if mine, I'd take it out for a high rpm rip session; see what I see after.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Good luck with it - if mine, I'd take it out for a high rpm rip session; see what I see after.
Ahahaha, that is how my car lives, seriously though, I wouldn't say I thrash it, but it does get a work out, and always continues the next day like nothing ever happened :P But I do over service the hell out of it. I have replaced every single fluid in the car since buying it, all 6 coil packs the thermostat, front wheel hubs and all the filters and every time I service it I thoroughly inspect every bush, control arm the exhaust ... well you get the picture :P I also service it every 15,000Km's(9000 miles) or 1 year. Even though the computer says every 30,000 KM's(18,000 miles) which is just insane as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by aleks001; 09-30-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms