Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
E46 Installing New Bearing and Hub

I had no problem taking the old front bearing off my 2003 325i. I took the 45mm nut off and the old bearing and hub come right off. I then put the new bearing and hub on and it slide right on. When I put the nut back on, the manual said that it had to be torqued at 200 foot lbs and also said that when it is completely tightened that the hub should move freely. As I tightened the nut, the less the hub would actually move.

My question is........is that OK and can I put the tire on and move the car or did I miss something? Also, how do I know that the hub and bearing is seated as far back as it should be? How hard can I tap in the hub and bearings without damaging them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I did mine. I used a large socket and tapped the new hub on until it bottomed out. It should spin freely. If it does not... something is not right.

How do you know you have the correct torque on the nut?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
Bottoming out the Hub bearing

I have a torque wrench, however, I did not use it yet. As I tightened the large nut, the hub would become more and more difficult to move. I probably have it torqued only at 50 lbs. From what your telling me, I have not tapped the hub far enough to bottom out. I will give it another try. How do I know (visually) when I have tapped the hub enough to know when it has "bottomed out".
Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
It's a feel thing accompanied by a sound. Very hard to explain, buy I liken it to hammering in a framing nail. When the nail goes in perfectly, it has a sound and feel to it. If you golf, similar to driving the ball well. When you hit it right it makes a sound and has a feel to it. How's that? :-)

Are you sure you haven't cross-threaded that nut? As I recall the threads are very fine and it will require lots of turns to tighten it.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin