Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Anyone Go From An E91 to an X1?

You know - the 3-series sportswagon. Or at least has anyone who owns the wagon driven the X1 to compare the two? I'd love to hear your reactions regarding power, handling, roominess, comfort, and rear cargo capacity. Thanks.

Doug
Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
same car different skins

you will see little difference

E91 possibly has better interior space
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E84
We plan to go from E91 to X1 next year. Haven't driven one yet but the reviews sound promising.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335i (soon....)
I also want to hear more about the comparo 328i SportWagon and the X1. Obviously the engine and the tranny are the same (assuming we won't get a wagon with a stick). The rest of the X1 is based on the old 3 series' bones. Hardly something to complain about. But, all that said, I believe the wagon will be a better car than the X1 and, IMHO, better looking too. Ok it is likely going to cost us at least $7,000 more (based on an estimated $2,300 difference between a sedan and wagon) . Is it worth it? The Europeans do not seem to have the cost advantage (actually I think that in some countries the X1 is a few K more expensive than the 328 Touring) and have bought over 250,000 X1's! This X1 is selling like hot cakes!
I am not completely sure yet myself but I am leaning toward the X1. Do others have similar thoughts?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingDman View Post
I also want to hear more about the comparo 328i SportWagon and the X1. Obviously the engine and the tranny are the same (assuming we won't get a wagon with a stick). The rest of the X1 is based on the old 3 series' bones. Hardly something to complain about. But, all that said, I believe the wagon will be a better car than the X1 and, IMHO, better looking too. Ok it is likely going to cost us at least $7,000 more (based on an estimated $2,300 difference between a sedan and wagon) . Is it worth it? The Europeans do not seem to have the cost advantage (actually I think that in some countries the X1 is a few K more expensive than the 328 Touring) and have bought over 250,000 X1's! This X1 is selling like hot cakes!
I am not completely sure yet myself but I am leaning toward the X1. Do others have similar thoughts?
If the new wagon was already out in the US, I would favor the X1 simply because it is a better bang for the buck vehicle and already good enough for my needs. I suspect the real difference in price over a 4-5 year period will be about $9,000 since you have to figure additional taxes and even insurance costs on a more expensive vehicle.

But if I had a genuine need for the additional room the wagon provides then I would more strongly consider it.

Before making a decision, I would think about whether the X1 is large enough to carry the people you may need to carry in the backseat. If it is, I simply think its the better value then the upcoming 328i wagon which should be very impressive.

The X1 may be based upon an older platform but the 28i version gets the two most important features of the new platform(n20 engine and 8 speed transmission).

The wagon will probably be the slightly/moderately better car to drive but in my situation the more compact size of the X1 is much easier to live with. And I had no need for the additional room of the wagon and don't care that much about the moderately more impressive interior.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
I should mention that I own a 2011 E91 and have no complaints. It's pretty well equipped, and has very decent cargo space for common every now and then "stuff", and with the rear seatbacks down, it's surprising how much I can pack in there. I guess the only thing I would have liked differently would be to have the twin turbo 300 hp power plant in this. Driving in sport mode does, though, make it a different animal compared to the cruising "D" selection.

Sounds like the X1 might be a bit more nimble, and faster (?) but not quite as versatile in terms of carrying capacity and maybe even comfort.

Anyone else?

Doug
Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
You know - the 3-series sportswagon. Or at least has anyone who owns the wagon driven the X1 to compare the two? I'd love to hear your reactions regarding power, handling, roominess, comfort, and rear cargo capacity. Thanks.

Doug
Here's an article on motortrend.com that answers a few of your questions: http://wot.motortrend.com/thread-of-...x1-235781.html