Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 2.8
Fuel smell in boot

Hi all,
Can anyone help, or suggest.
I have 1999 2.8 z3 which runs great.
Lately when opening the boot, you get a waft of fuel vapours.Nothing in the car whilst driving. I've check for leaks and there's none visible.
Has anyone any suggestions
Cheers
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
The fuel tank is located behind the pass seat under the carpet.... might be leaking
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
The key phrase is that there are no leaks visible.

There is an extensive network of vapor recovery tubes that run on top of the fuel tank and those have been known to be a problem. Also, if there has been any aftermarket audio work done it isn't uncommon to see an installer actually drill into the fuel tank while drilling holes for screws.

Unfortunately, to make a complete evaluation of fuel vapors coming from that area the best way is to break down and pull the fuel tank for inspection of the tank and associated lines.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Cheers guys for the suggestions
The smell is more like a vapor, than a leak.. I will look into it and let you know how I get on.
Thanks for the time
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Hi,
Just letting you know the update on my car. Had it looked at, turned out to be the drivers side fuel tank strap was loose. Cheap replace 13 from dealer.
Thanks again for the input. Great forum
Lee
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
The key phrase is that there are no leaks visible.

There is an extensive network of vapor recovery tubes that run on top of the fuel tank and those have been known to be a problem. Also, if there has been any aftermarket audio work done it isn't uncommon to see an installer actually drill into the fuel tank while drilling holes for screws.

Unfortunately, to make a complete evaluation of fuel vapors coming from that area the best way is to break down and pull the fuel tank for inspection of the tank and associated lines.
Actually, this symptom can be evaluated very quickly and easily by performing a "smoke test" saving at least ten (>10) hours of dismantling the back half of the car. Using a smoke generating diagnostic tool, you can locate vapor leaks in a matter of minutes, and I've done so for just the reasons you've pointed out (stereo installers drilling into the tank's chambers and also rodents chewing on the maze of plastic tubing).

A very cool tool, and kudos to whoever thought it up__though I suspect it's an age-old practice, as I can remember guys in the 60s exhaling their cigarette smoke into the vacuum line to see if the distributor advance diaphragm was cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezy76 View Post
Hi,
Just letting you know the update on my car. Had it looked at, turned out to be the drivers side fuel tank strap was loose. Cheap replace 13 from dealer.
Thanks again for the input. Great forum
Lee
Yes, they can work loose, or the rubber insulating pads become dislodged, but I still can't see how it led to your smelling fuel in the trunk; the fuel tank is a sealed unit (and it's tested everytime you start the car via a small pressure pump). That's why you get a check engine light if you leave the filler cap off/loose.

If you didn't get a check engine light, resulting from a system breach, then there shouldn't have been any smell. I think you're just psychic and that's what led you to getting the loose fuel tank strap taken care of...

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM

I didn't get no check engine light.
I asked my partner to check smell in boot, she seemed to think it was a damp musky smell. Maybe her sense of smell is differ to mine..ha.

So if I was to leave the filler cap off and start engine
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM

The check engine light would come on ?