Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Electronic Rear hatch problem....

Been trying to figure out an electrical problem (without having to take it in to the dealer), but not having much luck....so turning here for help...

Have a 2004 X3. For some reason, the rear latch will unlock and pop open when the car is turned off (key still in ignition)

Any thoughts/ideas? All ideas are certainy welcome!

Thanks
Mike
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Just a wild though

Whoops, meant thought- Do you think there is anyway you are grabbing the key in a manner that is hitting the unlock button???
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
hatch still popping...

No chance of that....maybe once, but this is now happening every time the car is turned off.

I am beginning to wonder if it is the key fob not necessarily a problem with the electronics of the X3.

Mike
Old 03-21-2010, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Might be try

try using your other key for a couple days maybe.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I suspect you must have a short somewhere (in the key?) that is unlocking your hatch, the use of the second key (as recommended) is a good start. If that doesn't work then probably the dealer will be the best (and most expensive) option.

Last edited by UncleJ; 03-21-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: M3. X3
I had a similar problem. Traced is to a shorted connector on the wiring that goes to the license place lamps and rear hatch switch. I found this by removing the plastic panel that holds the rear hatch license plate and I also had to remove the inside plastic panel. If you are pretty handy with tools and soldering, it is a fairly easy fix.

Email if you have more questions......Gary
Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2.5
I had a similar problem with my 2004 X3. It was corrosion in the "grip switch" connection on the lift gate.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to stonecutter908
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i 6 speed
I am having issues with the tailgate/hatch on my 04 X3. The operational behavior of it recently changed. It will now locks when closed and only opens via the key fob. All symptoms are pointing to a loose wire in the tailgate.

I am trying to troubleshoot but am having issues getting the tailgate interior plastic cover off. So far, I have 2 torx 20 screws out from the outside above the license plate and 2 phillips screw from the interior plastic panel out. I don't see any more to remove and the plastic cover isn't budging.

Can someone please assist?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
There are two plastic rivet style pins by the latch which need to be removed. You can push the center part of the rivet in which will then allow you to pull the outer part out. Keep an eye on where the center pin goes as you can reuse these. At this point the panel is just held on with clips which can be pulled out. Make sure to remove the trim panels which go around the top of the door first. Going by memory here as I did this several months ago.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
If you have all the screws out, just pry it with moderate but constant and unifirm force, it should pop out.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter908 View Post
I am having issues with the tailgate/hatch on my 04 X3. The operational behavior of it recently changed. It will now locks when closed and only opens via the key fob. All symptoms are pointing to a loose wire in the tailgate.

I am trying to troubleshoot but am having issues getting the tailgate interior plastic cover off.
I thought the other people who had this problem found that you just need to remove the outside (plastic) body panel on the tailgate.

That reveals the wiring to the handle, and corrosion from water ingress is the cause of the problem.

See sstcobra's post.

Unless you have already done that, and need to check the wiring ahead of that point?

UPDATE: On re-reading I see that sstcobra did have to remove the inside panel as well, but I think other posters did not have to.

Last edited by Supercourse; 05-16-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 AM

I did have to remove the inside panel so I could figure out and have access to sufficient wiring. I also soldered a new jumper wire since one of my wires had corroded and broke off at the connector. It was an easy fix, although the wires were pretty small. Have had ZERO problems and no gremlins since doing this repair!

email, if you need more help: sstcobra@comcast.net

Gary
Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: X3
how did you remove the exterior panel, do you just pry it out? Any special tools?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM

I believe I just pryed it out. I no longer have the vehicle so I cannot check.....sorry.