Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Serious buyer

Mein Auto: 09 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Question Winterize

Hello all. I am really hot on buying an 01/02 M roadster...

Now here's the hard part: I am a driver, not a collector and plan on driving my //M all year round which means occasional snow and ice.

Is it possible to alter the tire/wheels and suspension, (any other suggestions?) to give this sports car and driver a chance? All with the intention of returning to original set up for spring.

Thanks
M Passion
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Serious buyer

Mein Auto: 09 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Cooler heads prevail

OK. I am calming down a bit...

I just posted in another string that I had driven both the '06 M and an '11 - 3.5Si and it got me to thinking...

But I still really want to drive year round and would love to hear of any mods or advice on alstering the set up of this car for winter driving.

M Passion
Old 09-17-2012, 06:55 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Not much you can do to the suspension to help.

But a good set of winter tires (not all seasons if you live in a snow area) will do wonders.

But these are not exactly winter (snow) cars.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M Roadster
Things to do to prepare car for storage?

I have a 98 M Roadster and had it parked for the last two weeks. When I started it today, the Check Engine light came on and it didn't sound right. Any thoughts on what's wrong? Is there something I should have done before I let it sit? I'd appreciate any help!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Either take it to one of the auto parts places that will read the codes for free. Or a dealer.

Could be one of hundreds of codes.

No, a few weeks should not require anything special.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Not much you can do to the suspension to help.

But a good set of winter tires (not all seasons if you live in a snow area) will do wonders.

But these are not exactly winter (snow) cars.
+1 on this. I do have a good friend that drives his '00 ///M all year here in southern Idaho. We get snow several times a year and have ice quite frequently. His commute is about 15 miles each way and he seems to stay on the road. That said, we did have a snow about 3 years ago that would have high centered him. I believe he worked from home that day.... when I cleared the snow off my drive that day, I had to clear the snow behind my Rdstr so I could get it out far enough to get my garden tractor with the snow blade on it out (I have them stacked and usually have the one with the more likely short-term use closer to the door, but this time got surprised..). That day the snow was above the tail pipes and my wife's e39 w/sport had the bottom of the frame scraping the top of the snow.

Last edited by ghpup; 09-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.