Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 Vert
Recently Purchased 2002 M3

Hi I am new to the boards, but wanted to get some opinions. I recently purchased a 2002 M3 Convertible with 70k miles. It came with an aftermarket warranty so I brought it to a BMW dealership for an inspection and they found that the rear differential bushing all need to be replaced along with the RTAB, front lower control arm bushings and the AC evaporator. The extended warranty is saving my butt since most of the work is covered. The car has a good service history, all maintenance done by BMW up thru 60k miles. My question is do you think the car was beat on seeing as how the rear end needs all new bushing? Once I get everything sorted out would you have any concerns with future problems possible related to the car being driven hard.
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
RTABs are a common failure. Many people install the RTAB reinforcement or upgraded bushing. I have PowerFlex in my car.

And the diff bushing is not uncommon.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the reply, everything is being fixed so I am excited to get the car back in good shape.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord i-VTEC
Lucky you, I spent $4700 on first week with the car already. Didn't even know there are extended warranty on 10 yr old cars.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:52 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
They have to be purchased when the car is fairly new.

We just got a Fiat 500 Abarth and picked up a Lifetime Warranty from Fiat/Chrysler.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Townie

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 Coupe
good call on the warranty - I got a 6mo/6,000mi all-inclusive warranty from the guy who sold me my '02 M3 (he owns a small race team and a garage w/ a small-scale dealership)

I'm hoping I can get to the garage before I hit the 6k miles to address a shot wheel bearing and an (apparently) no-good vacuum hose that refuses to give me heat through the main vents. I do think that some other front-end suspension components might need replacing, as the steering feels a little splashy over uneven ground and the tires don't appear to be the culprits...

It's always something, right!?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
hey just wondering anything wrong with the conv top? I am looking at getting a used m3 and didnt know if the conv top have any issues? thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM

The top works good no mechanical issues but it does have one small tear in the headliner. It isn't a big deal for me i figured i would get the headliner repaired somewhere down the road.