Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323Ci E46
Weak Start Up?

I drove the car pretty much all weekend with some pretty hardcore flogging in a couple spots. However, today when I started it up it felt a little "weak". I'm not exactly sure how to describe it but it just didn't "feel" right. The car turned over every time I tried it so I'm not too concerned. I just wanted to check with yall and see if this a warning sign of something bad to come. Thanks for any help!
Ads by Google
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherr117 View Post
I drove the car pretty much all weekend with some pretty hardcore flogging in a couple spots. However, today when I started it up it felt a little "weak". I'm not exactly sure how to describe it but it just didn't "feel" right. The car turned over every time I tried it so I'm not too concerned. I just wanted to check with yall and see if this a warning sign of something bad to come. Thanks for any help!
How old is the battery?

Any evidence of electronics going wacko/possessed by the devil?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Not sure how old the battery is. I did have a couple of problems with the open door indicator and the seatbelt lights not going off despite the door being closed and seatbelts buckled. I reset the batter by disconnecting it for a minute and then reconnecting it, and I haven't had a problem since. You thinking that I need a new battery??
Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not sure how old the battery is. I did have a couple of problems with the open door indicator and the seatbelt lights not going off despite the door being closed and seatbelts buckled. I reset the batter by disconnecting it for a minute and then reconnecting it, and I haven't had a problem since. You thinking that I need a new battery??
Pretty much guaranteed.

Walmart has a good option in the $80-$90 range, easy DIY. Check the E46 wiki for details. Probly better to do now vs. when it gets cold.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Here ya go: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417105

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the help! Really glad that its not something more serious haha
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the help! Really glad that its not something more serious haha
You mean like an expansion tank exploding?

Just kidding. Hope all remains smooth.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Oh please dont even jinx it hahaha
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM

I noticed when I removed the old battery (Which crapped out on me IN the Walmart parking lot) that there was a vent tube. However, on the new batter that I got (Maxxx R94) I couldnt find a place to place this tube. How critical is it that this be connected to the battery?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I noticed when I removed the old battery (Which crapped out on me IN the Walmart parking lot) that there was a vent tube. However, on the new batter that I got (Maxxx R94) I couldnt find a place to place this tube. How critical is it that this be connected to the battery?
Hmm. I checked and the one I bought was a 94R?

My notes from 1-5-2010 (last time I did on my old ZHP):

"Tonight I removed the vent tube elbow from the OEM battery and placed it into the hole in the "+" side of the 94R; it fit perfectly. I noticed that the OEM battery had a web of plastic on the vent hole on the "-" side of the battery, so I felt it was ok to leave the vent hole on the 94R open as well."

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Thanks. I'll go and look tomorrow if I missed the port for it. All I'm sure of is that the hole was not in the same spot as the battery that was in the car previously. Hopefully the car doesn't turn into a pile of rust until tomorrow morning hahaha