Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 M coupe, 2007 M6
Front Spoiler Diffuser on Z4MC from Varis

I finally recieved my front Aero parts!! They are installed and ready to use. Most likely we will paint them Alpine white (except the carbon fiber weave portion along the bottom) but may keep it black. Evosport did the install. They recommended Varis since they make stuff that is wind tunnel tested and intended for track use. I needed more front grip to balance out the rear adj wing. This should do the trick. They installed a front spoiler and splitter along with undertray diffuser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diffuser.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	175559

Name:	varis front and diffuser.JPG
Views:	1377
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	175552

Name:	varis front small.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	175553

Name:	varis side small.jpg
Views:	9642
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	175554

Name:	varis up close small.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	175555

Evosport also installed my Traqmate and Traqcam:

Name:	traqmate install.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	175556

Name:	traqmate rear install small.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	175557

Name:	camera small.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	175558

Hopefully, weather permitting, I will be able to see how the setup works at
Buttonwillow this coming Sat.
2007 Alpine White Z4 M Coupe with RPI Scoop, BMC filter, ESS s/w, Ground Control Coil Over, Supersprint Sec 1, x-pipe and muffler, Rotora Calipers, APR performance GTC 200 adjustible rear wing, APR performance front dive planes, Varis front spoiler and front diffuser, Roll Bar, Cobra seats, Schroth 6 point harness, black painted roof and mirrors.
Ads by Google
Old 02-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Nice! Your "normal every day" wheels are my track-only wheels...what rubber are you running? Mine came with Nitto NT01s on them which have been great, although they're my first R-Comp tire so I really don't have anything else to compare them to besides the stock Contis and the Direzza Star-Specs I'm running now on the OEM wheels. I only have maybe one or two track days before my Nittos are done...
Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Nice! Your "normal every day" wheels are my track-only wheels...what rubber are you running? Mine came with Nitto NT01s on them which have been great, although they're my first R-Comp tire so I really don't have anything else to compare them to besides the stock Contis and the Direzza Star-Specs I'm running now on the OEM wheels. I only have maybe one or two track days before my Nittos are done...
Actually those are my track only wheels. I also run NT01's.
2007 Alpine White Z4 M Coupe with RPI Scoop, BMC filter, ESS s/w, Ground Control Coil Over, Supersprint Sec 1, x-pipe and muffler, Rotora Calipers, APR performance GTC 200 adjustible rear wing, APR performance front dive planes, Varis front spoiler and front diffuser, Roll Bar, Cobra seats, Schroth 6 point harness, black painted roof and mirrors.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:27 PM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Thanks for sharing ... pieces look very good quality. BTW, and this is probably just my lack of understanding, what is the benefit of that CF undertray as the stock one looks about the same in terms of the shape and what it covers?

And what ride height are you running front and back?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
I dunno, this looks pretty sick just as it is:

But if you're going to do vinyl numbers, don't use 7s or 1s. That's what the lazy drivers use when going the blue-tape method!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion@BMS View Post
I dunno, this looks pretty sick just as it is:
But if you're going to do vinyl numbers, don't use 7s or 1s. That's what the lazy drivers use when going the blue-tape method!
I know I am gonna change the numbers. The 711 is for my sons birhday born on July 11th.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deknight View Post
I know I am gonna change the numbers. The 711 is for my sons birhday born on July 11th.
-Not an ode to the inspiration for Quick-E-Mart?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
i love it...soooooo sick!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci & '06Z4MC
Awesome! I've been eying the Varis lineup for our cars for a while and can never seem to get anyone to give me prices! If you don't mind me asking, how much did each of the parts cost? separately?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Quote:
... don't use 7s or 1s. That's what the lazy drivers use when going the blue-tape method!
Guilty as charged Been using 11 with blue-tape for a while now- laziness and the fact that it neatly fits the small side window seem to be my excuses.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Guilty as charged Been using 11 with blue-tape for a while now- laziness and the fact that it neatly fits the small side window seem to be my excuses.
-Takes one to know one. 911...411...last I used 471. I'm going to have some good numbers made soon so I won't have to tape any more.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Awesome! I've been eying the Varis lineup for our cars for a while and can never seem to get anyone to give me prices! If you don't mind me asking, how much did each of the parts cost? separately?
Here are the prices. I put a seperate pic of the border wing since it is all connected in my pics above.

VRS Z4 Front Spoiler Border Wing, Carbon: $955.00

Name:	Border%20Wing%20for%20Ft%20Spoiler.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	175763
VRS Z4 Front Spoiler, Carbon : $1,175.00
VRS Z4 Front Under Diffuser, Full Carbon: $1,985.00

The parts take along time to come but they are worth the wait since they are great quality and very functional!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks! Do you know if it would be possible to install ONLY the border wing between the stock "fangs"? From the picture, it looks like the Varis carbon fiber "fangs" are just overlayed on top of the stock fangs without extending them any further down. If that is the case, installing the border wing only in between the stock fangs should be possible. Any thoughts on that idea?

Do they offer these parts in non-CF?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Do you know if it would be possible to install ONLY the border wing between the stock "fangs"? From the picture, it looks like the Varis carbon fiber "fangs" are just overlayed on top of the stock fangs without extending them any further down. If that is the case, installing the border wing only in between the stock fangs should be possible. Any thoughts on that idea?

Do they offer these parts in non-CF?
That is what i thought as well, but you cannot install the border wing between the stock fangs only works when installed with the Varis front spoiler which overlays the entire lower half of the bumper. See my pic on top the second pic down show the Varis front spoiler with the border wing just taped on for the pic. The Varis Carbon fiber "fangs" are actually that huge black piece in the second pic from the top. Well see below:

Name:	IMG_5755.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	175765

See how the "fangs" are actually this whole big piece and the border wing only fits onto this it will not fit on the stock bumper.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
-Takes one to know one. 911...411...last I used 471. I'm going to have some good numbers made soon so I won't have to tape any more.
You guys know that you can get magnates made with Vinyl numbers on them right ? That way U can stick 'em on / off easily without driving around town...

I'm getting some made this week for my Auto X this weekend... Making 'em look like the euro style "number plates"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rennen-rund-um-die-welt_11.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	175769  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKZ4MC View Post
You guys know that you can get magnates made with Vinyl numbers on them right ? That way U can stick 'em on / off easily without driving around town...

I'm getting some made this week for my Auto X this weekend... Making 'em look like the euro style "number plates"
That is what i am going to go with next. Magnets are way better since the stickers definitely get dirt underneath after awhile.

Here is where i get my numbers from:
http://www.soloperformance.com/
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by deknight View Post
That is what i am going to go with next. Magnets are way better since the stickers definitely get dirt underneath after awhile.

Here is where i get my numbers from:
http://www.soloperformance.com/
Most clubs won't let you run magnets without taping the leading edges. I just get new vinyl printed each time.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Or just go to any motorcycle dealer that sells dirtbikes, and pick up some stick on motocross numbers. They're perfectly sized, cheap and come in packs of 3.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to RussRamz
Mein Auto: 2007 M6, 2008 M Coupe
I am interested. deknight, do you have any idea how much downforce is generated with your setup between the front diffuser, dive planes, and rear wing? Is that front diffuser adjustable? Did you have the installers adjust the dive planes for a specific amount of downforce? Lots of questions I know...

2010 BMW 335d Sedan, Black Sapphire/Black/Aluminum
Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 AM

Thanks for pointing that out, deknight. In taking a closer look at that picture, I'm getting a better idea of how its set up. I guess what I'm asking is if it would be possible for the two vertical pieces that come off the border wing to be mounted to the stock bumper and, if possible, also mount either side of the border wing to the stock fangs. I wouldn't expect the fitment to be spot on and perhaps some molding would be necessary to make it marry up cleanly but if its close it may be something I'd add.

Thanks again.

Last edited by JCz04Bimmer; 02-25-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
I am interested. deknight, do you have any idea how much downforce is generated with your setup between the front diffuser, dive planes, and rear wing? Is that front diffuser adjustable? Did you have the installers adjust the dive planes for a specific amount of downforce? Lots of questions I know...
Russ, no problem on asking a lot of questions. Happy to offer any information, just do not ask me to record the 24 hours of Le Mans!

I bought the car used with the front dive planes and rear wing on it. Since the rear wing was a functional adjustable wing I decided to go ahead and get front downforce to balance out the car. We have no testing with this specific setup. So we do not know how much downforce is actually generated. I figure it is about 5 gigawatts or 1500 humanoids. Okay again I have no idea but that is a great question and i would love to find out.

The front difusser is not adjustable. Only the rear wing. The dives planes were not specifically installed and any particular angle they were already there and Evosport thought it best to use the sames holes for the reinstall.

Once I get the car out there i will know how much improvement this makes. What I can say for sure is that at speed the car still pushes in medium to fast turns. That is with the rear wing fully trimmed out. For sure adding more front downforce will either eliminate the push or at bare minimum reduce it. I think it will eliminate it. Now I have to see if I will need to add back some rear wing to balance it out and since it is fully trimmed I have alot of wing to play with!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, deknight. In taking a closer look at that picture, I'm getting a better idea of how its set up. I guess what I'm asking is if it would be possible for the two vertical pieces that come off the border wing to be mounted to the stock bumper and, if possible, also mount either side of the border wing to the stock fangs. I wouldn't expect the fitment to be spot on and perhaps some molding would be necessary to make it marry up cleanly but if its close it may be something I'd add.

Thanks again.
No matter what you could make it work for sure! All you would need to do is add something in like a wedge (probably some hard rubber) to get the fittament just right. I was mearly pointing out that the border was meant to be installed with the Varis spoiler.

Just adding the border wing would surely help and then you could also install the under tray diffuser as well. Having seen how it all works, that may have been the best route to go as far as cost savings go or best bang for the buck. But money not being a problem the whole kit is the best overall solution.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe
sorry to bring this old thread up.. I really need to know if the front under diffuser can fit with stock front bumper?

my stock front under diffuser is torn and I need a better replacement like this but I guess I will go with frp material instead.

please ask and replay to me, thanks.