Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-03-2014, 07:57 PM
TheEntrepreneur TheEntrepreneur is offline
Registered User
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
I need your opinion!!

So, a couple weeks ago I bought me a 2006 525i from a good friend of my parents (I'm only 17). I knew that it was not in the best of shape and knew it would need some work to get it to where it should be and where I wanted it to be. I found out that there was a recall on the battery cables and decided to use this as an excuse to take it in to the dealership so that they could tell me what my car needed. Now I was expecting a lot but not this much. I know this is it a BMW and I know having that name means you better have some money to pay for stuff, but I want to know if you thinks all of what they told me is true or are they trying to get money from me to compensate for having to fix the battery cables for free. Here is what they told me..(all prices include parts and labor).
RLS Sensor Cover above rear view mirror-$180.41
Front two tires(they said excessive inner wear)-$545.00
Alignment-$159.00
Outer Filter Housing Gasket(" Active oil leak from oil filter housing on to front timing cover and side of engine")-$456.28
Oil Pan Gasket("Active oil leak from oil pan")-$982.26
Valve Cover Gasket("Valve cover seaping oil")-$689.12
I also requested to have the aux retro fit kit installed, but they called in the middle and said that because I had an SOS Malfunction that computer would not work and would cost $500 to fix plus the AUX kit for $150.
Now do you guys think that all of this stuff is really messed up or are the just blowin' smoke? I know on my last car, an '04 Acura TL the dealership told me I need a new power steering pump and took it somewhere else, someone I trusted, and it did not need replaced. I am taking my BMW to this person again soon to see if he says I need all of that stuff, but was wondering if you have ever been told you needed stuff that wasn't even wrong. Any thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Jay Arras's Avatar
Jay Arras Jay Arras is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 581
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
There are dealers and then there are dealers. Some are more truthful than others. The other thing you're gonna learn is that the dealers always get top dollar for repairs. That's why most of us use "indies" or independent mechanics who know the brand well.

Some of the repairs you were quoted can be done by anyone (tires, gaskets, alignments, etc.) so if you trust that the person you mentioned has at least a few years experience fixing Bimmers, I'd give him a shot. You won't have to do everything at once, but as you're finding out, these cars are not cheap to maintain. There is a certain amount of truth that you should only have your BMW serviced by someone who knows the brand though.

Being 17, you're probably more into just getting things fixed that are broken, but there is also something to be said about preventative maintenance. Sometimes letting things go makes things much worse later.

Good luck with your new ride. I'm sure you'll be the envy of all your friends driving crappy cars.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 PM
TheEntrepreneur TheEntrepreneur is offline
Registered User
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
Would any of these things cause my "Service Engine Soon" light to be on? These thing I listed don't also include my Front Left Parking Lamp Malfunction, Front Right Parking Lamp Malfunction, Left Tail Lamp Malfunction(or something like that), Pass. Restraint System Malfunction, Driver Airbag Malfunction, and SOS Malfunction. As you can tell, I have a lot of malfunctions. What is the most important to fix first? And also, I know every indy is different and well as every dealership, but how much cheaper is it to go to a trusted indy?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Jay Arras's Avatar
Jay Arras Jay Arras is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 581
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
About half... and many will let you buy your own parts (although they won't guarantee them)

You saw all these malfunctions and still bought the car? How "good a friend" would sell you a car with this many things wrong? Lamp malfunctions are probably just burned out bulbs, which are easy to replace yourself. "Service engine soon" could be as simple as an emissions switch or something much more serious. A good indie will have the correct code reader needed to decipher what's going on with your car.

Hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 PM
TheEntrepreneur TheEntrepreneur is offline
Registered User
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
I got a really good deal on it, yes even with all of the lights and stuff wrong wit it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 PM
etnav382 etnav382 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bangor, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 421
Mein Auto: 06 550i
Isn't there a saying that's goes something like "The cheapest BMW soon becomes the expensive BMW", basically the dirt cheap BMW ends up being more expensive than the slightly more costly one. I'm not calling your car dirt cheap just kinda giving some (late) advice. Good luck on getting your car back in great condition.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 PM
TheGreatAJ TheGreatAJ is online now
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2009 535xi
When was the last time the battery was replaced? These cars have sensitive electronics, and when the voltages are no good, they start throwing codes everywhere.

FYI , battery replacement is a little more complicated then some cars. Read the "end all battery" thread.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
AJ - 2009 535xi
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 PM
TheEntrepreneur TheEntrepreneur is offline
Registered User
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
I can see that saying become true. But, oh well, live and learn and have fun doing it I guess. It's not like I have any bills, except for $1000 a month for selling on eBay, which is the only way I can afford this car for myself. It will give me something to do and I will take a lot more pride in my car knowing that I fixed it up and used my own money, not that my parents won't help me, I just get much more satisfaction doing it on my own.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM
TheEntrepreneur TheEntrepreneur is offline
Registered User
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatAJ View Post
When was the last time the battery was replaced? These cars have sensitive electronics, and when the voltages are no good, they start throwing codes everywhere.

FYI , battery replacement is a little more complicated then some cars. Read the "end all battery" thread.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I believe it was changed not too long ago, but I do not know exactly when. And also, what makes it more difficult? Finding the battery
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:36 PM
pjinca pjinca is offline
USAF Pararescue Veteran
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,130
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
The leaks are not a huge problem, as long as you check it regularly and keep oil with you at all times (which, since you now own a BMW, means that is a requirement anyway). The RLS sensor is the rain/light sensor, if you are okay with switching on your lights and wipers manually then you can live without that for a while. What I am saying is: Yes, the list needs to be repaired, however, Google them nearly all have a video associated with them so you can do these repairs yourself and get even MORE satisfaction than just taking it to someone else. Most if not all of these replacement parts, gaskets, RLS, etc, can be found on eBay - you're already used to using eBay, so there you go. Preventative maintenance should be: As soon as possible change ALL the fluids in the car - oil, trans, coolant, brake fluid, power steering. Then replace the water pump, thermostat, and control arms. It's a 2006, so the N52 engine, which is notorious for the leaks you mention, and the starter dying around 80k miles, but other than that it's pretty bullet proof. Are BMWs expansive to repair? Yes, very. However, they really are not really that much more to maintain - especially if you are willing to do the work yourself.

When I was 17 I was ALWAYS tinkering on cars, mine, my friends, anyone's. It's still cathartic and therapeutic to do mechanical work and very satisfying. Once you learn your car you will actually appreciate it more. Your car needs work, if you really are an entrepreneur, that won't scare you at all, have at it.
__________________

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 PM
TheEntrepreneur TheEntrepreneur is offline
Registered User
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
The leaks are not a huge problem, as long as you check it regularly and keep oil with you at all times (which, since you now own a BMW, means that is a requirement anyway). The RLS sensor is the rain/light sensor, if you are okay with switching on your lights and wipers manually then you can live without that for a while. What I am saying is: Yes, the list needs to be repaired, however, Google them nearly all have a video associated with them so you can do these repairs yourself and get even MORE satisfaction than just taking it to someone else. Most if not all of these replacement parts, gaskets, RLS, etc, can be found on eBay - you're already used to using eBay, so there you go. Preventative maintenance should be: As soon as possible change ALL the fluids in the car - oil, trans, coolant, brake fluid, power steering. Then replace the water pump, thermostat, and control arms. It's a 2006, so the N52 engine, which is notorious for the leaks you mention, and the starter dying around 80k miles, but other than that it's pretty bullet proof. Are BMWs expansive to repair? Yes, very. However, they really are not really that much more to maintain - especially if you are willing to do the work yourself.

When I was 17 I was ALWAYS tinkering on cars, mine, my friends, anyone's. It's still cathartic and therapeutic to do mechanical work and very satisfying. Once you learn your car you will actually appreciate it more. Your car needs work, if you really are an entrepreneur, that won't scare you at all, have at it.
It's not the sensor, it's just the cover that goes over the sensor which means I have some wires showing but aren't just very noticeable. I'm not much of a DIY kind of guy, but hey why not become one. With summer coming up, I will be able to have a little more free time to tinker and fix my car up. My dad has a pretty big business and always has stuff in the mechanic shop, so I can kind of just go in there whenever and do whatever, I think I'm going to get them to teacher me how to do some stuff instead of just doing it for me. And I like to consider myself an entrepreneur, started my own business and 13 and has grown quite a bit each year.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 PM
pjinca pjinca is offline
USAF Pararescue Veteran
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,130
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneur View Post
It's not the sensor, it's just the cover that goes over the sensor which means I have some wires showing but aren't just very noticeable. I'm not much of a DIY kind of guy, but hey why not become one. With summer coming up, I will be able to have a little more free time to tinker and fix my car up. My dad has a pretty big business and always has stuff in the mechanic shop, so I can kind of just go in there whenever and do whatever, I think I'm going to get them to teacher me how to do some stuff instead of just doing it for me. And I like to consider myself an entrepreneur, started my own business and 13 and has grown quite a bit each year.
That's fantastic. It's always fun to be able to do things yourself, even if later in life you don't have time, but want to understand what BS the mechanic is telling you.

Good luck with your business, it's always good to see industrious young people
__________________

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 AM
TheGreatAJ TheGreatAJ is online now
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2009 535xi
The actual replacement of the battery is cake, however it is highly recommended you register the new battery. This means either having someone do it for you (like a dealer) or you buying a cable and software for a laptop and trying to DIY. Either way it's another $50-250 depending what you do/where you go.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
AJ - 2009 535xi
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2014, 06:28 AM
banglenot banglenot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ft. Lauderdale and Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,803
Mein Auto: 2007 530
Here's the good news: you're 17 and this is a great time to learn what really goes into a BMW. You can do all of the the oil leak repairs you listed yourself.

The first thing you have to do is start fixing things yourself. Don't take offense, but at your age, don't let a dealer fix your car. If you're a businessman, you'll find it a relaxing alternative to the frustrations and challenges of building a business. There really is a "zen" to fixing your own car. When you turn a wrench, the bolt actually tightens. It doesn't try to tell you why it doesn't want to.....

That $400 gasket job is less than $50 if you do it yourself.

BMWhat is a $50 code reader that loads onto your iphone or droid. I use it, and it's a true five-star product. Buy it. Don't let someone else read codes for you.

Read "so you just bought an E60", in the sticky above.

2006 was when they started switching over from the M54 to the N52 engine. You probably have the M54 engine, one of the most solid ones BMW ever made. It was used in the E46 (3 Series and others), so there are more tips and guides on fixing it that you could read in your lifetime. If it's the N52, it's not harder, just different.

Get a wrench and start learning how. Trust us, fixing a BMW, particularly the M54 engine, ain't magic.

Good luck.
__________________

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 05-04-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 AM
javvy javvy is offline
Registered User
Location: New Joisey
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Here's the good news: you're 17 and this is a great time to learn what really goes into a BMW. You can do all of the the oil leak repairs you listed yourself.

The first thing you have to do is start fixing things yourself. Don't take offense, but at your age, don't let a dealer fix your car. If you're a businessman, you'll find it a relaxing alternative to the frustrations and challenges of building a business. There really is a "zen" to fixing your own car. When you turn a wrench, the bolt actually tightens. It doesn't try to tell you why it doesn't want to.....

That $400 gasket job is less than $50 if you do it yourself.

BMWhat is a $50 code reader that loads onto your iphone or droid. I use it, and it's a true five-star product. Buy it. Don't let someone else read codes for you.

Read "so you just bought an E60", in the sticky above.

2006 was when they started switching over from the M54 to the N52 engine. You probably have the M54 engine, one of the most solid ones BMW ever made. It was used in the E46 (3 Series and others), so there are more tips and guides on fixing it that you could read in your lifetime. If it's the N52, it's not harder, just different.

Get a wrench and start learning how. Trust us, fixing a BMW, particularly the M54 engine, ain't magic.

Good luck.
VERY WELL SAID BANGLENOT ...IF ^^^^ DOSENT ISPIRE YOU...NOTHING WILL SELL YOUR CAR.....

100% with you on the zen part..... unfortunatley wify does not agree...:ts k:

Goodluck fixing

Javvy
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Evenflow Evenflow is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arkansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 234
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport Line
I agree, with regard to the leak. If you don't want to fix it yourself, you can buy a bunch of oil for $1,500.00.

On the tires, tirerack.com makes a bunch of sense.
__________________
Current: 2012 328i Sport Line, Jet Black/Everest Grey, Premium, Heated Seats, H/K.

Retired: 2001 Z3 2.5i, Steel Grey Metallic/Black; 2002 330i, Orient Blue Metallic/Grey; 2004 545i, Silver Grey Metallic/Black.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms