Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: car
Keyless entry stopped working - Diversity Amplifier? Why is memory lost?

I have 2010 E61 but besides the mounting location and the form factor of diversity amplifier it's the same. So lately range has been getting crappier for keyless entry, I figured diversity amplifier is on it's way out, after driving through a nice rain storm it stopped working altogether. The following day it was back to normal but stopped working again. This is the same with both key fobs so it's not key fob related. One of the last times it worked it would only work when the tailgate was closed, otherwise it would not work. I figure diversity amplifier that sits in the tailgate glass section needs to be replaced. It's known to fail and known to get some water in that area, I took it all apart but it seemed dry and clean. No biggie, they are still known to fail. However what bothers me is that now all my presets and memory settings that are stored in the key are lost. This part makes no sense to me, I understand the CAS not getting signal from key fob over RF but when it's inserted into the steering column, why is it not reading all the settings? When it stopped working the other day the same behavior was seen, after it started working again, all memory came back...

I found no error codes in INPA under any module, everything seems totally normal. I hate to spend $250 or so on new diversity amplifier to only hit the same issue. Is it common to loose memory functionality when diversity amplifier fails or not?
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 AM

Fixed it, turned out to be the dreaded wiring harness from the tail gate glass on the RHS. Two wires were cut. Once I repaired them, everything back to normal including memory. Turns out memory presets are sent from diversity amplifier not from ignition lock.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Good to see you were able to identify the root cause - chaffed/cut wires. Thanks for posting the fix. I am sure this info will come in handy for others.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 535i
vadimr, how did the wires get cut? My comfort access and memory (radio presets for example) have been acting up occasionally lately. Wondering if I have the same issue.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinSD View Post
vadimr, how did the wires get cut? My comfort access and memory (radio presets for example) have been acting up occasionally lately. Wondering if I have the same issue.
it's actually a known issues with e61 wagons, each time the tail gate is opened it stresses them and eventually they get cut. Do you have a wagon or a sedan? Another issue with wagons is that the diversity amplifier that sits under the "spoiler" gets wet and dies eventually.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: 535XI Touring
Which harness did you repair on the passenger side? Outside passenger or inside passenger loom?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach76 View Post
Which harness did you repair on the passenger side? Outside passenger or inside passenger loom?
Right hand side, towards the inside, one that connects to the glass.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app