Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Smile How much to replace Tie rod and conotrol arm bushings

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I plan on buying a 2011 BMW X5 50i with 76K miles on it today. I saw the BMW dealer 110 point inspection and one of the things that says 'needs attention' in the inspection report is 'Rear Control arm bushings need to be replaced' and i was wondering
how much would it cost to replace them including labor?
Do i have to replace the tie rod as well if i replace the bushings? Is this recommended?
How often should the bushings need to be replace?

Thank you
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: xDrive 50i
I'm going to take a guess and say, no warranty on it? No warranty means you don't want it. These vehicles are not cheap to fix, so unless you are getting the deal of a lifetime and have money to spend on repairs, I would probably pass on it.

If you still want to buy it, you need your own inspection performed, not the one the dealer did.

Last edited by lanbrown; 04-09-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 AM

Thanks for your advise. You are correct that there is no warranty. I am planning on getting a third party warranty. I will get it inspected from a different mechanic but any idea on the cost of the bushings?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrazzii View Post
... and one of the things that says 'needs attention' in the inspection report is 'Rear Control arm bushings need to be replaced' ...
By "rear" do they mean front suspension or rear suspension bushings?

1. Ask the dealer for the p/n. Then shop.
2. If front suspension control arm bushing: about $35 (aftermarket, but not recommended) to $70 (for BMW OE) per bushing. Complete arm around $200 to $300 per side (includes bushing and ball joint - highly recommended with 76K mi!).
3. Labor is about the same, whether you replace just bushings or complete arm, because most shop remove the entire arm to replace just bushing anyway. Expect to pay $100 per side for labor.

Either way, don't buy the car without some kind of warranty ... control arm bushings is just the beginning ...

IMO
BMWCCA #20645
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Rear suspension. You and lanbrown have said not to buy the car without the warranty. It scares me albeit i am going to buy it with good warranty. i just fell in love with the car when i drove it.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Rear suspension. You and lanbrown have said not to buy the car without the warranty. It scares me albeit i am going to buy it with good warranty. i just fell in love with the car when i drove it.
... and that's the problem, "falling in love" with these cars blinds you to possible problems, especially with 76K miles, but you're doing the right thing. Ask lots of questions. And by all means, READ. READ the warranty you are considering .. understand what is INCLUDED and what is EXCLUDED ...

Double check the bushings ... very unusual. Front bushings go at 76K miles, rarely the rears, unless something is wrong! GET THE PART NUMBER from the seller. Rears are more involved and will be expensive to replace.

Do you have a Carfax? Last 7 of the VIN?
BMWCCA #20645
Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
Here's some advice from a first time X5 owner, who just 3 weeks ago also bought a 2011 X5 50i because I fell in love. Went to Carmax looking for a more generic mid-sized SUV, saw the X5, fell in love, and pulled the trigger. Normally I do tons of research before any vehicle purchase, but in this case because I could return it without question within 5 days ( and didn't have a trade in to complicate things), and opted for their 5yr (from now) / 100k total mile (mine had 35k on it) MaxCare extended Warranty, I bought it THEN did my research.

Doing my research after the fact was eye opening! What I have since learned on this forum and others is:
  • Warranty: You do NOT want to own one of these without a GOOD extended warranty. $3k to $5k repairs are common and many higher $. Research on here what are the GOOD extended warranties. They will NOT be cheap...think $5k+ with your mileage.
  • Maintenance: Maintenance at the dealer is costly. Think $500 for a new battery, $200 filter replacements, $100 oil changes, etc, etc. Hopefully you are handy at DIY or find a good Independent Mechanic (where it's still not cheap). If you think it was a locally owned/serviced vehicle, you can take the VIN to BMW and they MIGHT give. Report of what all was done and when.
  • Options: there were several options and packages on the 2011's. If you post the last 7 digits/letters of the VIN the guys here can pull a VIN Decoder Report for you (or give you the link) that shows what all yours was built with. But also search the web for the PDF 2011 X5 brochure to see what all was available. Several less obvious ones are desirable, such as Adaptive Drive, Assisted Steering, Self Leveling Suspension, Comfort Seats, etc.
  • Tires: if the vehicle has 20in wheels, be ready for sticker shock at tire prices. $1200 to $1500 a set. And they go thru them quick.

And remember, they made more than one of these. If things don't fall into place on this one, you're sure to find more, and maybe even one that has more features and less mileage....

Whatever you do, good luck. The 50i is a blast! Really launches when you press the pedal.
2014 Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD
(detect a pattern....we like AWD)

Last edited by Longhorn90; 04-09-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:55 AM

Thank you both for reply.

I do have the carfax. I am getting it inspected by an independent car mechanic specializing in German cars before the purchase (BMW and Benz)

VIN 5UXZV8C50BL418122

I did get the copy of the original sticker price. It was $58,400 base price and including all options that were itemized ran up to $81,250. some of the options

3RD ROW SEATS, SPORT PACKAGE, TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE, 20 ALLOYS, PREMIUM PACKAGE, REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT, PREMIUM SOUND PACKAGE, REAR VIEW CAMERA W/ TOP VIEW, MULTI-CONTOUR SEATS, COLD WEATHER PACKAGE, COMFORT ACCESS KEYLESS ENTRY, HEAD-UP DISPLAY, HEATED FRONT SEATS, HEATED REAR SEATS, HEATED STEERING WHEEL, NAVIGATION, PANORAMIC MOONROOF, PARK DISTANCE CONTROL, POWER TAILGATE, RUNNING BOARDS, SATELLITE RADIO, LEATHER DASHBOARD, NAPPA LEATHER, and ROOF RAILS.

It has 20" alloys I guess all these features sucked me in. i am checking with AAA for extended warranty. I own a Infiniti 2005 G35 6MT coupe for which i had an extended warranty from Autoexam. i never had Seuss with my infiniti so i did not have to use the warranty company.

i looked at tire prices on Tirerack.com and 275/40-20 priced at 287 each and 315/35R20 at 343 each

Do you guys know about really good warranty companies where service and coverage is good?

The dealer has a 7 days hassle free exchange policy and 2000 miles/2 month warranty
Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 AM

If you plug the last 7 of your VIN in here http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html you can see the factory build details. Yours has Style 336 20in wheels (like mine did) which I've learned is a desirable wheel option.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:45 AM

Warranty-wise, I hadn't thought about AAA, interested to here what they offer.

On this forum I saw Rout66 mentioned, but I have no personal experience. Somewhere else I heard Endurance was good, and you have to talk to them by phone for a quite and they are a high pressure 'what price would get you to commit today' setup, so I didn't get far.

Luckily I got a CarMax MaxCare warranty because I bought at CarMax (even my BMW dealer spoke well of it), but that won't be an option for you. However I'd see what the dealer you're buying from can offer, especially if they think they'll loose a sale if it's not competitive. Whatever you do, make sure it's an 'exclusionary' warranty to help lessen fights.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Thanks. i did get information from AAA on warranty. looking at 3, 4 and 5 yrs. It is transferable

Months - miles - silver - gold - platinum
36 months - 15k - $3289 - 3622 - 5727
36 - 36k - 3681 - 4125 - 6933
48 - 20k - 3712 - 3937 - 5829
48 - 48k - 4246 - 4546 - 7069
60 - 50k - 4261 - 5050 - 7144

I was thinking of 48 - 48k - 4546 of this package and i get 200$ discount since i am member. i would be doing 6 to 7k miles a year
Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Freude am Fahren

You're not going to like my recommendation, but here it goes.

Did some research:

- This was a lease buy out, so no CPO possible, because the original owners bought out the lease and kept the car. So technically it is a one owner car, but Carfax says 2. The owners did not opt for any warranty, but instead bought an extended maintenance agreement in June 2013. It's valid through June 2015, but basically worthless. As a rule, an extended vehicle protection (EVP) is MUCH preferred over any service extensions ... but alas.

- the car is nicely equipped, space Grey over black extended Nappa leather, with comfort seats, heated steering wheel and rear seats, 3rd row (so has self leveling suspension - check airbags!!), style 336 wheels (check tires!).

- current Manheim trade-in for a car with 70k+ miles is in the mid 20's (see attached), and I can guarantee you that is all they got from this dealer ... so asking $32K is WAAAYY overpriced! Especially for a car with 76K mi and no warranty. A non BMW warranty will set you back at least $3K and only offer protection to 100K miles.

- If you are going to buy ... this car needs to sell for $28K tops, with some kind of warranty ...

- my recommendation: fall out of love and keep shopping. Find something that is CPO or has factory warranty remaining ...

- FYI and as a comparison: in Feb I helped a forum member buy a a 2012 X5 35i m-sport with 70+K miles (one year newer, not a 50i but an m-sport). It had some warranty left. He paid mid twenties - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...175&highlight=
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manheim - 2011 X5 50i - April 2015.pdf (39.8 KB, 35 views)
BMWCCA #20645
Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 AM

The first thing you need to find is if AAA will offer a warranty on a vehicle that is out of warranty? If so, how long before the coverage actually begins. What would prevent someone from not buying the warranty, the transmission goes out and then they buy a warranty and say, hey, the day after I bought the warranty the trans failed? This is why many warranty providers will not provide a warranty on a vehicle that is out of warranty. Others may and you get what you pay for, they expect to be taken advantage off so they are going to really take advantage of you.

If you are only to go drive it 7k a year, get a battery charger.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Thank you PAX5 for doing the research and giving those numbers and i am going to re-negotiate on the price. The final price he gave me was 32k

Thanks lanbrown for the suggestions.

the BMW dealer was giving
months - miles - platinum price
12 - 12k - 4535
24 - 24k - 5784
30 - 30k - 7725

The AAA coverage starts 30 days and 1,000 miles from the purchase date.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i, '13 Prius C4
Quote:
Thank you PAX5 for doing the research and giving those numbers and i am going to re-negotiate on the price. The final price he gave me was 32k

Thanks lanbrown for the suggestions.

12 - 12k - 4535
24 - 24k - 5784
30 - 30k - 7725

The AAA coverage starts 30 days and 1,000 miles from the purchase date.
If you're considering 3rd party warranty, search for route66 in this forum. Hard to beat their pricing and coverage, and the owners who've had to use it swear by it. I recently bought 8yr/100k coverage from them for under $3k for my 2012 x5 (still under factory warranty, so your pricing could be different)
Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
If you're considering 3rd party warranty, search for route66 in this forum. Hard to beat their pricing and coverage, and the owners who've had to use it swear by it. I recently bought 8yr/100k coverage from them for under $3k for my 2012 x5 (still under factory warranty, so your pricing could be different)
How does their 8/100 work? Both yrs & miles are from original vehicle in service? Both are from date of warranty purchase? Or a mix?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i, '13 Prius C4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn90 View Post
How does their 8/100 work? Both yrs & miles are from original vehicle in service? Both are from date of warranty purchase? Or a mix?
8 yrs from warranty purchase date or 100k on the odometer, whichever comes first.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

12 - 12k - 4535
24 - 24k - 5784
30 - 30k - 7725
What does this even MEAN?!?

Those arent "bmw backed warranties", so they are some aftermarket third party warranty being sold by the BMW dealer.

It could be anything....you say "platinum" like that defines something.

I mean I sell a 10 year unlimited mileage platinum plan for $4688. I take paypal too. Let me know.

PS My platinum plan only covers lug nuts.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Everything about this deal just seems bad. If the dealer is willing to sell the vehicle without fixing the issue, means that they do not expect to get more money (to cover the repair) out of it compared to sell it as is. Chances are, the N62 campaign probably also hasn't been performed. Then they are quoting you third-party warranties. I'd walk away from the vehicle and not look back.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Freude am Fahren

As I said: ...fall out of love and keep shopping. Find something that is CPO or has factory warranty remaining ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I have been out of town since last Friday and I am catching up on your replies. After some haggling, the dealer has come down on the price. He did give me wheel and Tire protection plan - 5 yrs/ unlimited miles.

The dealer give 2 mos/2000 mile warranty that covers the engine, transmission and the usual stuff they give warranty for. He gives a 7 day hassle free exchange policy.

I did get the car checked with an independent mechanic specializing in German cars. This is what he said. The car looks in really good condition and things he detailed out were

1. The control arm bushings has little play but it is fine - the dealer said it 'needs attention'
2. Rear tires are at 3mm which meets VA inspection - dealer noted this in his report but needs replacement soon
3. Front tires have some uneven wear at 6 mm
4. Battery - He said the battery was weak at 31 percent. He gave a detailed report. i will share it

@bmwx5er - Will look at route66
@ard - you are correct. It is a third party warranty that the dealer is selling.

@PAX%, @lanbrown - this is the update so far.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I have been out of town since last Friday and I am catching up on your replies. After some haggling, the dealer has come down on the price. He did give me wheel and Tire protection plan - 5 yrs/ unlimited miles.

The dealer give 2 mos/2000 mile warranty that covers the engine, transmission and the usual stuff they give warranty for. He gives a 7 day hassle free exchange policy.

I did get the car checked with an independent mechanic specializing in German cars. This is what he said. The car looks in really good condition and things he detailed out were

1. The control arm bushings has little play but it is fine - the dealer said it 'needs attention'
2. Rear tires are at 3mm which meets VA inspection - dealer noted this in his report but needs replacement soon
3. Front tires have some uneven wear at 6 mm
4. Battery - He said the battery was weak at 31 percent. He gave a detailed report. i will share it

@bmwx5er - Will look at route66
@ard - you are correct. It is a third party warranty that the dealer is selling.

@PAX%, @lanbrown - this is the update so far.

Unless the dealer came down to about $28K, you over paid ... You're going to immediately spend big bucks on it within the next 6 mo's, because, it simply has high mileage and nothing preventive was done to the car:

1. control arm bushings: unless you are a DIY'er, expect at least $1,000+
2. tires ... we told you so - $1,500 min
3. battery: about $200, unless it is the original battery and you can convince the dealer to do the N63 engine campaign. Dealer's cannot do this campaign on cars they own, so you would need to buy first. But you can do your homework by asking if the car qualifies ... If they won't do it ... you're going to be in for a a MAJOR financial disaster ...
4. warranty: $3,000+

That's $5K out of your pocket on top of what you paid for the car ...

No matter whose warranty you buy, you will only enjoy it for another 24K miles or so ... it's a lot of $$$ for peace of mind.

Be patient ... there are lots of '11 and '12' coming off lease with much lower miles.

EDIT: Car is gone from dealer website .. looks like OP bought it!
BMWCCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 04-13-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:04 AM

The battery isn't covered by the N63 campaign; only if it is under the original warranty/maintenance. So he is on hook for a battery as we both know that he will be getting the discharge warning in the very near future. He also will need tires very soon as well. So he already has to spend about $2,000 and then still needs the N63 campaign performed on it.

With him only driving about 7,000 miles a year, he won't even get another oil change before the maintenance runs out. That is also going to kill the battery all by itself.

He bought with his heart, now his wallet will be punished.

I also think the dealer didn't budge much from the price and tossed the tire and rim warranty as an incentive. Even at $28,000 he would be in for at least $34,000 by the time all the work and warranty gets done and it is still high mileage.

I wonder when an airbag will need replacement?
Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
- current Manheim trade-in for a car with 70k+ miles is in the mid 20's (see attached), and I can guarantee you that is all they got from this dealer ... so asking $32K is WAAAYY overpriced! Especially for a car with 76K mi and no warranty. A non BMW warranty will set you back at least $3K and only offer protection to 100K miles.
This question is jumping back several posts to the Auction results posted. When dealers buy at the auctions, do they pay a premium on top of the auction price? And I assume they pay transport from auction to their dealership? Just trying to eyeball a dealers 'all in' cost on some of those in the 50i auction results.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Typically the auction is for a dealer that doesn't sell that brand. Think of a BMW dealer, they get a lot of BMW trade-ins so why would they want to go to an auction? With a trade-in they know the service history, etc. so they know what they are buying. At an auction, they know nothing except that their buyer got to see the vehicle and got ti somewhat inspect it. Buying at an auction has higher overhead as you need to have a buyer to bid on the cars. The auction house just provides a venue for the transaction to take place; then there are auction fees that need to be paid. Different auction houses have different fee structures. Then you need to get the cars to the dealers lot. Once on the lot there is the typical markup and the vehicle would need to be prices similarly to a trade-in. So the dealer makes more on trade-ins than auction cars. The dealer also usually doesn't want to sell a car at an auction either; they don't get much for it. Take your 50i, the BMW dealer couldn't CPO it and they didn't want to fix the leak. So, the dealer made a decision to sell it at auction because if they did sell it, they would need to do the work on it. It would either fail an inspection by an independent or it would be brought back under the complimentary limited warranty most dealers offer; either 7-day return or 1 or 2 months limited. So, they would ideally need to just repair it and make the most out of the sale price. They viewed they could get about what they would sell it as is for at auction and they have no liability in it. Carmax came along, bought it and now gets the bill for the repair. There is a lot of money in used cars because of the risk and what people are willing to pay. The actual brand dealers get the best of everything; make money on the new car sale, make money on the service and repair work and make money on the trade-ins. Used car dealers typically need to use auctions to get vehicles.

Take Autonation, they started off as a used car dealer. They then started buying new car dealers; this a great way to get access to used cars. they also started to buy rental car companies. Once again, a great way to get used cars and they also make money by supplying new cars to the rental car agencies. Look at say a Ford dealer; they sell far more new cars than used cars. This is why you see the huge amount of new inventory and very little typically in used. Many new car dealers that do not want to use auction will have a large used car lot somewhere. While the new car dealer will keep some used cars on the lot, the used car portion of the dealer is just there take a look at the vehicles and offer a price for them. Many times any car brought in will be transported over to the used car mega-lot unless it is something they would like to keep local. These large chains also offer warranties as well which generates more income.