Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 06-27-2004, 08:03 PM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Should I try to get a new battery under warranty?

If I get my battery replaced under warranty, will I get the same battery that comes from the factory, or a crappier replacemetn? I vaguely remember someone posting that the factory once are unique.

The reason I'm asking is that my battery fully discharged once due to the IHKA drain problem. Several months later I left my parking lights on for 4 hours and the battery was drained enough that the car wouldn't start; this seems extreme to me suggesting that the battery might be weaker than it should be.

I may try to pressure my SA to give me a new battery when I'm in for my oil change Thursday, but I'm wondering if the new one might be even crappier than what I already have.
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323I Prem, Sport
Last summer, my battery died while I was many miles from my house. I called the roadside assistance number and had it towed to my BMW center. The next day, they were able to replace the dead battery for another OEM battery, free of charge (under warranty). So I'm guessing that if your battery is experiencing problems, they will indeed replace it with an OEM unit. Cheers

Edited to write that, from what I've heard, BMW's choice for OEM battery isn't all that...
Old 06-28-2004, 03:01 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Yes, they will change the battery under warranty if their tests show it is bad. However, you wil get the same crappy quality battery that comes from the factory.

It is the cheapest method, but maybe not the best long term.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-28-2004, 06:34 PM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Thanks guys.

For some reason I thought I remembered reading that the factory battery was decent. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:45 AM
ober-slacker

Send a message via AIM to WAM
Mein Auto: 325i Sport
Not an answer to your question, just an FYI, my original battery from the factory is a Douglas battery. It has a sticker on it that says DBC (or something similar), Winston-Salem, SC.

I was surprised as I always thought that factory batteries were german. My car was built in Munich.

It is 3.5 years old and fluid level is still ok.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:19 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Let's see, 2.5 months from new, the battery in our E46 M3 was DEAD.

Many similar reports around. Also the fake maintenance free "feature" of the batteries isn't a big help. Real caps exist under the sticker.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)