Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
2014 M-SPORT Performance vs All season

Hello Everyone...

I am looking for my first BMW (2014 535i M-sport) and is close to ordering ED but couldn't find info regarding differences between Performance tires vs All Seasons with M-sport package...

asked my CA but he is not aware of the exact difference. What is primary difference between two:
- does Performance tires comes staggered and all season not? or regardless of performance or all-season, both are staggered with M-sport option?
Ads by Google
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
Perhaps performance tires option will give you summer tires: "but like all summer tires is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Current:
14 smart electric drive
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884
Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-P View Post
Hello Everyone...

I am looking for my first BMW (2014 535i M-sport) and is close to ordering ED but couldn't find info regarding differences between Performance tires vs All Seasons with M-sport package...

asked my CA but he is not aware of the exact difference. What is primary difference between two:
- does Performance tires comes staggered and all season not? or regardless of performance or all-season, both are staggered with M-sport option?
The two tire options for the 2014 535i M-Sport are 19" performance staggered (2ND) or 19" all season non-staggered (2NB). You can see this by looking at the tire specs in the pricing guide.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86pwr View Post
Perhaps performance tires option will give you summer tires: "but like all summer tires is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
Performance tires also increase the speed limiter on the car. I believe the speed limiter with the all seasons is 130 MPH.

BMW CCA #422951

Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
2014 M-SPORT Performance vs All season

Thanks guys. I will lookup in ordering guide.

If decide to go with Performance tires, is it easy to switch to "all season" because of staggered setup?

Or would it require changing wheels for All Season Tires?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
The best strategy is to pair performance tires with 18" winter wheels and tires.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Are the staggered wheels basically just wider on the back? Available on a 550 with xdrive? Mine will mostly be put away during bad weather, so thinking it makes sense to order performance tires.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:

If decide to go with Performance tires, is it easy to switch to "all season" because of staggered setup?

Don't think he would need winter tires in Houston. All season tires will typically ride smoother and be quieter on the freeway. Summer/performance tires will provide a lot more grip (cornering, better braking, better acceleration, etc). Depends on what you priority is, comfort or performance?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiltsy View Post
Are the staggered wheels basically just wider on the back? Available on a 550 with xdrive? Mine will mostly be put away during bad weather, so thinking it makes sense to order performance tires.
Yes, with staggered the rear wheels are 1/2 inch wider and the tires approx 1 inch wider. According to the ordering guide you can get either staggered(2ND) or non-staggered (2NB) on the 550i xDrive.
If you google "staggered vs. square" you'll find plenty of information on pros and cons of a staggered setup.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Ok, just got a quick primer on the differences in setup. I can't seem to find tire ordering information in the 2014 ordering guide. Does going with the staggered setup give the option of performance tires only?

I'll use my truck for serious snow, but obviously much of our season in MN is fairly cool and dustings of snow are common from November through April.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
Quote:

Tire Rack doesn't list any runflat all season tires in the staggered 19" sizes.

However, it seems most of the non-runflats come in the staggered 19" sizes including the brand new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 and the Conti DWS, Bridgestone RE970AS.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Ok, just got a quick primer on the differences in setup. I can't seem to find tire ordering information in the 2014 ordering guide. Does going with the staggered setup give the option of performance tires only?

I'll use my truck for serious snow, but obviously much of our season in MN is fairly cool and dustings of snow are common from November through April.
The 2014 pricing guide shows the wheel sizes and tire types.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Just get summer tires instead of the compromise "no-season" tires. I personally don't like the feel of M+S tires and they have neither the snow traction of true winter tires, nor the braking and handling capabilities of summer tires.

I have run summer tires on my X3 for many years, which renders it useless when it snows. Which is why I have another set of winter tires/wheels for the 3 months I need them.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Just Confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Just get summer tires instead of the compromise "no-season" tires. I personally don't like the feel of M+S tires and they have neither the snow traction of true winter tires, nor the braking and handling capabilities of summer tires.

I have run summer tires on my X3 for many years, which renders it useless when it snows. Which is why I have another set of winter tires/wheels for the 3 months I need them.
That would depend on whether they were runflats or note. On Runflats, in Houston, the Bridgestone RE960AS RFT is probably the best choice. It is W-rated, available in 19" staggered sizes. As an all-season, it would work ok on those occasional freezing/snow days.

Just remember, on an xDrive, you need to specify 2ND; the order guide shows 2NB is the default.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
You are inviting disaster if you use summer tires when it is cold and there is a light dusting of snow or the road is wet. Tire traction is remarkably reduced under those conditions.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks Radar... I love the look of wider/staggered tires, so if I do this it looks like I'll have to swap seasonally. Does anyone have pictures comparing from the rear of the vehicle? I've done some searches and can't find a comparison of square vs staggered on the 550i.

The other thing, I'll be taking European Delivery of a 550i in September. Europe and fall doesn't exactly scream summer performance tires.

My CA also mentioned that the all performance tires are what allows BMW to increase the top speed limiter from 130 to 150.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Visually the square and staggered wheels aren't distinguishable in my opinion. For my 2013 Xi I swore by adding the msport packaged moved the top speed from 130 to 150.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan L.; 07-13-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
That would depend on whether they were runflats or note. On Runflats, in Houston, the Bridgestone RE960AS RFT is probably the best choice. It is W-rated, available in 19" staggered sizes. As an all-season, it would work ok on those occasional freezing/snow days.

Just remember, on an xDrive, you need to specify 2ND; the order guide shows 2NB is the default.
Well, any tire "works okay", even if they are bald with no tread left, or if they are summer tires driven below 7C or in snow. It's not like I haven't driven any car with performance tires in those conditions, it's just a risk you take knowing there is an elevated risk of an incident. Sure, my X3 will go in summer tires to/from work, which is a mere 10km (6mls) away mostly on interstate and straight multi-lane hwy. But should a panic stop or emergency manouever be necessary, there's a risk of an incident.

Last winter I made a trip over to Knoxville from Greenville SC via I-40. I had just mounted the new winter tires I bought ("This is stupid, it doesn't snow in SC"). An unanticipated snow squall developed over parts of the WNC mountains and the temps plummeted to -3C, and roads were not pretreated due to prior rain. Even with my X3's abilities, I was driving a bit scared thru the Pigeon River Gorge because I was overtaking all vehicles at 80km/h (50mph) in the left lane which has no shoulder for 30km (20mls). Had I still been on my summer tires, I'd either been in some collision or simply turned around and gone home.

Below, it looks innocous enough. Toss in 7cm (3in) of blowing, unplowed snow at night and overtaking semi tractor trailers.....there's a difference. There isn't a straight stretch until the TN state line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-12-352.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	386452  

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 07-13-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
The other thing, I'll be taking European Delivery of a 550i in September. Europe and fall doesn't exactly scream summer performance tires.
There are laws in Germany that require a changeover from summer tires by a certain date. According to http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...nfoWinter.aspx that date is October 15. If you expect to drive the Alps, you may want to investigate a little further.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Just Confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
There are laws in Germany that require a changeover from summer tires by a certain date. According to http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...nfoWinter.aspx that date is October 15. If you expect to drive the Alps, you may want to investigate a little further.
However, Valencia, Spain is on the same latitude as Baltimore. Munich's latitude is 100 miles north of Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Well, any tire "works okay", even if they are bald with no tread left, or if they are summer tires driven below 7C or in snow. It's not like I haven't driven any car with performance tires in those conditions, it's just a risk you take knowing there is an elevated risk of an incident. Sure, my X3 will go in summer tires to/from work, which is a mere 10km (6mls) away mostly on interstate and straight multi-lane hwy. But should a panic stop or emergency manouever be necessary, there's a risk of an incident.

Last winter I made a trip over to Knoxville from Greenville SC via I-40. I had just mounted the new winter tires I bought ("This is stupid, it doesn't snow in SC"). An unanticipated snow squall developed over parts of the WNC mountains and the temps plummeted to -3C, and roads were not pretreated due to prior rain. Even with my X3's abilities, I was driving a bit scared thru the Pigeon River Gorge because I was overtaking all vehicles at 80km/h (50mph) in the left lane which has no shoulder for 30km (20mls). Had I still been on my summer tires, I'd either been in some collision or simply turned around and gone home.

Below, it looks innocous enough. Toss in 7cm (3in) of blowing, unplowed snow at night and overtaking semi tractor trailers.....there's a difference. There isn't a straight stretch until the TN state line.
Winter tires are absolutely better in cold and/or icy weather. However, even here in NJ most people, especially with AWD, just stay with the all-season tires. In Houston, the period where snow may occur is random and short. The winter tires, which aren't wear rated, don't last as long. In runflats they are very expensive whether you change them or buy extra rims.

Summer performance tires, runflat or not, or clueless in the cold weather and can dramatically reduce control. However, that doesn't prevent the other cars in Houston from sliding into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Visually the square and staggered wheels aren't distinguishable in my opinion. For my 2013 Xi I swore by adding the msport packaged moved the top speed from 130 to 150.

Alan
The speed limit change is code 840. The staggered wheels with summer tires get it. The constant width with all-season tires don't. It might be codable, not sure. However, very few people in the US live or will ever drive where the difference between 130mph (210km/hr) and 150mph (240km/hr) makes a difference. Just bragging rights. Speed limit info in the heads up display would be more useful. For ED, you might want it. It should be possible to get a 535i above 130mph there!

Last edited by DavidNJ; 07-13-2013 at 10:15 PM.