Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M Roadster
M Roadster Seat Bolster Wear

I know I can't be the only one out there who's left driver side back bolster is wearing from getting in and out of the car.

I just ordered a kit to repair scuffs like this all the way from the UK, from Furniture Clinic. Detailing and paint correction is my hobby, but I never tackled leather repair. I'm just wondering who out there is experiencing this, and what (if anything) you've done about it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348020506.539193.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	342444   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348020543.403664.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	342445  
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4 3.0i Sport
I'd be interested, as well. I'm seeing the same thing.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Funny, I had that problem with my 04 3.0 seats, nothing yet on the bolsters on my M seats. But I did have the rear of the seat rub against the back wall and the covers were replaced by dealer under warrenty.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 2.8
It's hard to avoid, some people devolop their own technique for getting in and out, putting a hand over the spot, sitting sideways....
but here is a link to one restoration product. (no affiliation)
http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Well, I eventually wore a hole in the side bolster. Resulting in replacing the two outmost side panels.

Does the repair includes putting material back on the scuff (not just a simple re-dye job)? Otherwise, more wear will result in a hole.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 2.8
It can be done.
http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-...69)-finished!/
Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
Hi everybody, Let me tell you about a product I bought a couple weeks ago from this company-LeatherWorldTech.com- My drivers seat bolster was showing it's age and I also had lost some color in the bottom part of my drivers seat. You order your repair kit that will be an exact match for your make, year, and color, BMW. I really did not think it would work that good but I gave it a try and ordered the Leather/Vinyl Recoloring Kit for $49.95. I got the kit and followed the directions to the letter. Well, I could not believe how great this stuff worked ! It took my old tired drivers seat and made it look brand new again. I could'nt believe it worked so well !! If you try it make sure you find your color on the list and add the color number to your order to make sure you get the right color. Try this stuff ! You will be amazed ! It is a great product. I e-mailed them back and thanked them for selling such a great product. They also ship very fast. Try this kit you will not be sorry it works.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
After three years and 30K+ miles on the Coupe and 60K+ on the Roadster, my seats have no wear marks.

How I do this is I always put the seat most of the way to the rear (button three on the seat program) and then rotate my whole body, putting both feet on the ground and then stand up (like a girl)....
When I get back into the car, I just push button one and the seat comes forward to driving position. The seat/key memory also puts the seat to the rear when I unlock the car with the key.

That seems like a lot to do but it only take about 10 additional seconds to get out of the car and almost completely eliminates the scuffing.
I also use the BMW leather cleaner/conditioner every three months.

Your mileage will very......
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2.8 View Post
It's hard to avoid, some people devolop their own technique for getting in and out, putting a hand over the spot, sitting sideways....
but here is a link to one restoration product. (no affiliation)
http://www.leatherique.com/
I looked at a lot of products, including Leatherique. I decided to stay away from that particular brand because I read a few reviews stating there colourant was more "paint like" than others. I looked into Swisswax Leather Healer( to buy all THEIR supplies was several hundred $$$) and decided against that because of cost ( its only a small area, not the whole seat). I also looked into Leather World

I decided to go with Furniture Clinic because their lot comes with tinting, glossing, and matteing solutions. I realized a lot of my damage was caused from driving with the seat belt off and the metal clip jambed between my back and the seat. So, now I always wear the seatbelt. The kit is coming tomorrow, hoping to make a decent looking spot repair, as the rest of the seat is fine.

I really hate leather to be honest. I'd much rather have I higher quality cloth. Leather just seems to wear poorly no matter how careful you are.