Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645CI
Adaptive Headlight Warning & possible cracked wheel...

I took my wife out for our first "date night" since I got the new ride. Spent the previous day making the 6 all shiny and pretty. 3 minutes after leaving the house I get a flat tire warning. The tires are brand new so I thought it was a valve stem but the tire shop says everything checked out fine and thought it may be a cracked wheel, even though you can't see any cracks. SehrSchnell mentioned my wheels had a recall on them for just such a thing. Anyhow it's a slow leak so I filled it up with air and took off. I take the turn getting on the on ramp and punch it. Suddenly a new warning "adaptive Headlight failure. At this point my wife looks over at me and says "maybe she is jealous that I am in the car" I said your right get out... Not really but so far the date night wasn't going so well. All I could think about the rest of the night is how I could fix the problem, l got home searched the forums and found some tips including disconnecting the battery and taking it to the dealer to be reset. This morning I go out to look at the car and the driver side light turns on and self levels. The passenger light looks dim, I get out. walk to the front of the car and I have a fish bowl for a headlight! Tons of condensation on the lens. So my plan tomorrow is to take the wheel off check the light housing door seal and then try and dry out the headlight assembly. Hoping that after I get the water out the adaptive light will work again. I hope I didn't short out the motor with all the water in there. If you have any tips for drying out the light or fixing my problem please let me know. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day
Q
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
There is a DIY somewhere out there for the headlight. You could take your leaking tire off & check for leaks. Add extra air to see if it might be the rim, or maybe the tire bead has not set!

Your car was just letting your wife know, that she's not welcome to drive her! Keep her out, before she becomes her car!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Herb,
I will search for the DIY headlight clean, I have never heard of the bead not being set? I'll look into it thanks for the tip. If something else happens to the car while my wife is in it I may have to name the 6 Christine. At first I thought maybe the sweet G's I pulled turning onto the on-ramp might have thrown the headlight off track, but with the water in there who knows. The green LED on the light switch blinks and I get a warning chime about every 5 minutes telling me "adaptive headlight failure". Six weeks of ownership and I have had a few bumps but so far I love this car! My previous GT was a Porsche 928 S4, I guess I have a thing for cars that look like sharks.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Yup.

Mein Auto: Cars
If you did indeed get some condensation, there could be a number of issues - but for the adaptive headlights specifically, I have seen something similar.

I had an adaptive headlight error code pop up recently while driving in a pretty bad storm for hours. I went to the dealer immediately, and they pulled two specific codes:

9CBC: LM: Communication with SMC, left, disrupted
9CBD: LM: Communication with SMC, right, disrupted

From there, the fix was simply a replacement of the control unit for the headlights (63-12-6-939-069). At the dealer, it wasn't even that bad - 163.23 ea, so a total of 346.05 plus tax. However, I had the same error on both sides, it seems one of yours is worse off than the other. Also, even when my adaptive headlights were NOT working (they did not move left and right when turning), they did still auto-level.

I have since re-sealed my headlights at pretty much every point (especially between the eyebrow/signal light portion and the main headlight) with a clear, waterproof silicone. Also, I checked all tops/covers of the portions covering the assembly within the engine bay and behind the wheel well. I have since had no condensation or errors. Good luck!

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

PAST: ALPINA B7, e63, e39, e39, e36
Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM

I took the passenger wheel off this morning removed the HID bulb and held a hair dryer to the back of light for over an hour. Good news is the condensation WAS gone. I disconnected the battery for ten minutes hoping the adaptive headlight error would clear... No such luck. I siliconed the back of the light cover and then tightly fastened the wheel well cover. Turned the car on, both lights did the self leveling thing but neither would turn with the wheel. I drove it around for about 20 minutes came home and somehow the headlight is full of water again? I don't see any cracks in the headlight, it did rain a bit today but nothing major, the roads are a bit damp. @Hoss are you saying you siliconed the front part of your headlight under the lip of the eyebrow part of the light? I can't figure out how the water is getting in. After I could no longer see water in the headlight I kept the dryer on for another 30 minutes just in case so I know it was dry on the inside before I drove it. Stumped.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Wind

Here is what I did to get the condensation out. 160 Mph wind.. Classy eh?
WP_000422

Photo_039EC47D-CB5D-4D2C-7638-4217B52E67F2

Last edited by -Quinn-; 05-30-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Quinn- View Post
@Hoss are you saying you siliconed the front part of your headlight under the lip of the eyebrow part of the light?
That is exactly right. I applied the silicon (cut the nozzle at an angle to fit it between the crack) to the outside - in the space between the eyebrow and the lower headlight assembly. Clean away any residue, and it should solve a lot of your problems. It is also possible that you may not have a tight seal on the headlight caps: make sure that when you pop the hood, in the space that you can barely reach your hand in (if for example you were to change the angel eye bulb), that the top that comes off the back of the headlight assembly is on tight and that it clicks - or that the rubber gasket is still intact on the cap. Finally, I would check the other cap on the bottom, used to change the signal bulbs: turn your wheel all the way to one side, and in the wheel well, use the a socket wrench (either 8mm or 10mm, can't recall) and open the two bolts. The flap should open outwards and down, and it will reveal access to the lower headlight assembly. Make sure everything is on properly and sealed.

Good luck!

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM

Well it is in fact a cracked Ellipsoid wheel.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Did the tire dealer not notice that, when the tires where installed? That would be hard to miss. I have a some spare rims that I could make you a good deal on. I will sell them separately. I would guess shipping would be 25 to 30 dollars! Let me know if you need to buy one. Is it the front or rear?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM

It's the Driver side rear tire, I had the runflats on it the first 4 weeks I owned the car, I put these on it and started getting the FTM warning. I wonder if the installer did the damage? It looks like there is a recall on this wheel and a class action lawsuit. http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews....ing-of-wheels/ Not sure if it will apply to me since I am not the original owner. I emailed my SA the photo and will see what happens. The tire shop I took it to today will repair it for $125.00.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Ducati fills my BMW's gap

Mein Auto: '05 645ci
I have the same exact crack in the same wheel. Does not sip air though. I wanted to repair it for 120, then I wanted to repair and powder-coat it for 250, then just didn't have the time, then gave up. I wonder if non- original buyers of this car are entitled to wheel replacement?
Also, I too had a headlight condensation when I bought the car back in 09, but one day I was washing the car with a pressure washer and by pointing the stream in between the headlight and the brow, I washed some dried up seal out and apparently, plugged up a hole or something? No condensation sence:-)
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
wow, sorry to hear, hope everything works out for you
Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Hey Quinn

Sorry to tell you this but your headlight control is toast due to the condensation, i had exactly the same issue this is and ended up dishing out $450 to get it fixed by an indy shop. Best advice is to look for a used adaptive headlight module and have a indy shop install it for you.

As for the headlight you've basically got 2 choices:
1.) buy a new a headlight and replace it so you don't have the condensation re-occur
2.) buy a used headlight and make sure it is sealed well before swapping it out with the bad one

I took option 2 and am currently waiting for a good time to have this installed.

Best of luck
Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM

@ Amanra,
I read about your experience on you are exactly right, I am having an indy shop fix it tomorrow. The part from the dealer is $230 and the ship is $90 an hour they said about 2 hours. So about $450 after taxes. I am going to silicone the hell out of my existing headlight and see if that solves the problem. Utah is a desert but we have had more rain this year than in the past 150 years. Thanks for the tip and sharing your experience.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossy View Post
If you did indeed get some condensation, there could be a number of issues - but for the adaptive headlights specifically, I have seen something similar.

I had an adaptive headlight error code pop up recently while driving in a pretty bad storm for hours. I went to the dealer immediately, and they pulled two specific codes:

9CBC: LM: Communication with SMC, left, disrupted
9CBD: LM: Communication with SMC, right, disrupted

From there, the fix was simply a replacement of the control unit for the headlights (63-12-6-939-069). At the dealer, it wasn't even that bad - 163.23 ea, so a total of 346.05 plus tax. However, I had the same error on both sides, it seems one of yours is worse off than the other. Also, even when my adaptive headlights were NOT working (they did not move left and right when turning), they did still auto-level.

I have since re-sealed my headlights at pretty much every point (especially between the eyebrow/signal light portion and the main headlight) with a clear, waterproof silicone. Also, I checked all tops/covers of the portions covering the assembly within the engine bay and behind the wheel well. I have since had no condensation or errors. Good luck!
Really,
Only 163.23 per side? Most of the people are saying around 400 per side.. is that for the same issue?
I also have that same freaking error code ... and thinking of doing something about it....
Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
Really,
Only 163.23 per side? Most of the people are saying around 400 per side.. is that for the same issue?
I also have that same freaking error code ... and thinking of doing something about it....
Um...yes, really. This was sometime last year, but a quick search of the part # should yield you reasonable prices online:

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...&siteid=214672

Part number is as posted above, and I'm sure you can find it for similar prices even at your local dealer, that aren't near $400 for the part.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossy View Post
Um...yes, really. This was sometime last year, but a quick search of the part # should yield you reasonable prices online:

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...&siteid=214672

Part number is as posted above, and I'm sure you can find it for similar prices even at your local dealer, that aren't near $400 for the part.
Ohhhh... so your price was just for the part, and I guess you did the installation yourself?
Did you find a DIY?
Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Remove the front bumper.

Remove the headlight.

Swap out the controller.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 PM

That is great...
Whats the best way to narrow it down to Controller? Is that the only possible fault??
Thanks again
Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
That is great...
Whats the best way to narrow it down to Controller? Is that the only possible fault??
Thanks again
Not sure. Besides the error code, do you notice any problems with the adaptive functionality? Is only one side working/aiming?

If only one side is moving then try swapping out the controller from left to right headlight and see if that fixes your aiming. If yes you know the controller is bad.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Not sure. Besides the error code, do you notice any problems with the adaptive functionality? Is only one side working/aiming?

If only one side is moving then try swapping out the controller from left to right headlight and see if that fixes your aiming. If yes you know the controller is bad.
Its not really an error code.. just malfunction notice on iDrive..

I have to see again, but I was told that the passenger side works fine, driver side does not move with the steering...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 650I convertable
Thanks for the help everyone . I just got my 2009 convertable shipped up from LA to Vancouver and picked it up tonight. Washed all the transport dirt and bug guts off of car, noticed moisture in headlights from washing car. Had the adaptive head light malfunction light come on. Let car run for awhile then took for a drive warmed everything everything up. Parked it for a hour moisture went away and so did code. Defiantly was do to washing car and moisture in head lamps. Still under warranty so I took pictures with phone before the warning light went away to show dealer.
Had moisture in my wife's 04 Range Rover out of warranty. We just clear siliconed around lense edge , it worked. Never had a code on RR thou.