Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
Manual trans & Diff Fluid

Guys, What is the OEM BMW fluid for our manual transmissions? I have some MTF-LT-3 left over from doing my 335i. Will that stuff work?

Diff lube. Do we have LSD's on a sport package manual? I'm thinking 75/90 Mobil 1. Knowing BMW, it's probably a open diff, so friction modifers don't even matter. With 230HP, and me driving it for fuel econo I can't imagine why Mobil 1 75/90 wouldn't be enough. It's about $10/bottle and much easier to get than the BMW stuff. And should be better than 10yr old 94k mile original fluid.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by FLE39; 09-19-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
Guys, What is the OEM BMW fluid... Diff lube
Start here, as always, from the bestlinks:
- Glovebox printout: BMW E39 fluid summary printout for your glovebox (1)

That will point you to these transmission fluids:
- MTF: Manual transmission fluid (1) (2) & manual transmission fluid-change DIYs (1) (2) (3)
- ATF: Automatic transmission fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) & automatic transmission fluid & filter DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & torque values (1) & how to find the hidden E39 transmission fluid level dipstick (1) & why ATF gushes out of the fill hole (1) & ZF 5HP19 facts (1)

And to these differential fluids:
- Differential: Rear differential hypoid gear oil (1) & differential fluid change DIYs (1) (2) (3)

Last edited by bluebee; 09-19-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 AM

^ you are too full of information. I love my bimmers, but finding the fluid specs in a hurry for a noob is a PITA. Not like a Ford or Chevy or Toyota. I wish BMW would stamp the caps with spec. Like my 80's Supera. Dex III. 10w-30 etc. DOT 3.

Ok, so the MTF is MTF-LT-1, 98% sure they don't make it and the LT-3 & 4 are the only fluids they make now. So I can probably use my LT-3 in it, backwards compatibile. Gear oil... I'll check the stampings. or do a burn out and see the marks. not really. so 75/90 M1 for $10/bottle it is.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by FLE39; 09-19-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I did this in May 2006 and here is my write-up:
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/189240

I use:
Man Trans: Redline MT-90
Rear Diff: Redline 75W90
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
I did this in May 2006 and here is my write-up
Hi Cam,
Just so you know, that was the FIRST LINK in the reference I gave the guy above!
- Manual transmission fluid-change DIYs (1) (2) (3)

I always try to reference your DIYs in the bestlinks!

But I'm kinda' getting tired of this because some people don't even LOOK at the bestlinks. They just ask again (and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again... )

Last edited by bluebee; 09-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Going with Mobil 1 75/90 for the diff. $10.99/liter. Doing BMW fluid for the trans. Will see what the dealer says about the LT-1.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
Post back what the dealer says about this....

but imho, BMW LT gear oil is no better than Mobil 1.
The only difference is that the LT gear oil is "supposedly" a lifetime oil. No servicing req'd.
But since you already have some LT gearbox oil, you may as well use it. it won't harm
a m/t. they're practically indestructible....will outlast the car by at least 30 more yrs after the car's a rust bucket

Last edited by DHoang; 09-20-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
But I'm kinda' getting tired of this because some people don't even LOOK at the bestlinks. They just ask again (and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again... )
I'm beginning to sense a trend here...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Dealer said LT-1 has been upgraded to LT-2. Cannot use LT-3 or 4 as that is for the newer transmissions; like in my 335i.

You gusy are really uptight about the search thing. I think the more things come up the better. Granted, Blue's links are of PHD quality, but I just cannot sit here for hours and hours reading everything. I need the quick and dirty and specs.

Last edited by FLE39; 09-20-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
I'm beginning to sense a trend here...
It's sad. I care so very much to help people BEFORE they even asked the question by compiling YOUR answers.

Most of you are saints in that you seem to be content to answer it over and over (and over) again.

Me? I prefer to point people to the canonical answer so that that answer gets better and better (and better).

But, some people would rather ask than read so I have a ready-made solution for that too!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
bluebee,

It is a young generation expecting instant gratification.

The young people don't read any more, they expect "fast-food" replies for free.
Where else can one get advices for free? Here!
Not at MacDonald's, where you have to pay for food.

I always advise newbies whether they buy a Toyota, Honda or BMW: spend a week reading your favorite Toyota, Honda or BMW forum.
Get a paper and pencil and make notes of different issues. Use a Word document to copy relevant URL for future reference.
Before one knows it, he/she is an expert on that particular car.

Reading is a very important skill!

Why do I say that? Because the same issues will come up again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...and you will see the same replies.

Last edited by cn90; 09-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
It's sad. I care so very much to help people BEFORE they even asked the question by compiling YOUR answers.

Most of you are saints in that you seem to be content to answer it over and over (and over) again.

Me? I prefer to point people to the canonical answer so that that answer gets better and better (and better).

But, some people would rather ask than read so I have a ready-made solution for that too!
Think that's sad?

I had ALL the links in my signature as an experiment for 1 week. Links to the Best links, How to search the forum, How to use the F3 keywords, and links to Realoem and Furiousmethod. What more could one ask for?

I actively answered new posts and pointed them to the link in my signature and they still said they couldn't find the information. So, I took it down as it was obvious many just want the answers, not how to get to the answers themselves.

In this world, there are givers and takers; some people just prefer to do one or the other but not both but the forum still thrives.

For a small percentage, in this new age of Twitter, texting, and mobil apps, it has evolved to "Give me my answer in a concise 2 line sentence, nothing more."

C'est la vie. We just need to focus on the larger percentage.

Last edited by dvsgene; 09-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
We just need to focus on the larger percentage.
I use iggy to allow me to do just that - and to preserve my sanity!