Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Official Apple iPhone iOS6 F30 Thread

We have all seen the commercial from BMW showing off the man pulling up to the driveway in his F30 and receiving a text message from his wife being read by the car. If you haven't seen the video then, you can quick take a peek now.

Well, with iOS 6, iPhone users can finally take advantage of this feature in the car over bluetooth. The set up is mostly straight forward but I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure what I did to get it working in the end. I think the solution was getting the settings right then walking away from the car for a while and returning to the scene. It wasn't very scientific but it ended up working. The only problem we seem to be having now is that the notifications are only working with text messages and not emails. We'll keep working on it to see if it is something simple like needing all your email addresses set up to send notifications over bluetooth.

The quick and easy way to get this set up on your car is to do the following:
  • Upgrade your phone to iOS 6
  • If you have paired your phone previous, remove the pairing from your phone and the iDrive system just to start fresh.
  • In iDrive go to Telephone -> Bluetooth -> Your Phone and the push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the main configuration screen
  • Scroll down to Configure Bluetooth and make sure that the check box for "Office" is checked
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Your BMW and touch the blue arrow to go to the settings. Make sure that the Show Notifications slider is set to "ON"
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
  • After getting it all set up and testing by letting the phone lock itself (not pushing the lock button) and sending a text message from another device, it still did not work for us initially. This is the part about shutting off the car and walking away for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe there is a bug that needs the connection to be severed and re-connected to make things work. It is sort of a mystery right now. After coming back and having a message sent the system worked and the notifications came through to the iDrive and were read aloud by the car.

We should have more information on this as we go but we wanted to get a quick report out to show you that it at least sort of works!

BMW F30 3 series iOS6 integration review

BMW's official statement about iOS 6 compatibility
During the past several months, BMW has done extensive Apps, Bluetooth, and USB / audio testing with "pre-release" versions of iOS 6 running primarily on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S devices. This testing has occurred in collaboration with Apple, and we are confident that the final production version for the devices listed above will work well with our vehicles.

The BMW Group continues to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed. Since 2004 the company has established a history of finding solutions for iPod and smartphone integration where none had previously existed.

Have an iPhone 5? Check out the Official iPhone 5 F30 Integration Thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2851.JPG
Views:	31128
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	342564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2852.JPG
Views:	29979
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	342565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2853.JPG
Views:	38280
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	342566  

Last edited by tim330i; 10-04-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Administrator

iOS 6 has hit iTunes. It is a 599mb upgrade and doesn't appear to be available for an "over the air" upgrade. I'm downloading it now, who else is installing iOS 6 today?

Tim
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
iOS 6 has hit iTunes. It is a 599mb upgrade and doesn't appear to be available for an "over the air" upgrade. I'm downloading it now, who else is installing iOS 6 today?

Tim
I will as soon as I get home! I didn't realize it was out before the iPhone 5 is available.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: Rather not say
It should show up as over the air for you soon. They spread it out so their servers can handle the load.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:

Tim
I downloaded it ota
Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
GOOD NEWS!

I can confirm that iOS6 can receive text messages to iDrive via Bluetooth, no cradle or USB cord necessary. You get an envelope icon on the display, you navigate to Office > Messages and your texts are there.

No luck with emails (this was a reported bug in the iOS6 beta). This was using an iPhone 4 and an F30 with the most recent firmware.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Another thing that might not be remembered:

Back in May, Apple announced the features of iOS6 including something called "Eyes Free" which allows Siri integration into cars. They put up a graphic showing BMW as one of the partners committing to the program "within 12 months". Would work with the 4S and the 5.

The video should start at the 10:20 mark where this is mentioned.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Just started my download OTA, hope it works without any glitches...
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Just started my download OTA, hope it works without any glitches...
it will, takes about 30min from start to installed
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
it will, takes about 30min from start to installed
Thanks, fingers crossed! Apart from the better in-car integration, what are the best features of the ios6 you guys have noticed?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Administrator

So far we're striking out getting the F30 to show text or emails over iDrive . Mark is going to see if the car needs a software update and we will go from there.

Tim
Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Off-topic but has anyone else found the Bimmerfest app on iPhone only works on wi-fi? I've never had it work on cellular, just wondering why...
Old 09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Off-topic but has anyone else found the Bimmerfest app on iPhone only works on wi-fi? I've never had it work on cellular, just wondering why...
Never heard of that problem before. I use it on 3G all the time.

Tim
Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
So far we're striking out getting the F30 to show text or emails over iDrive . Mark is going to see if the car needs a software update and we will go from there.

Tim
Tim:

A few tricks that helped me after struggling for an hour:

1. Turn on "messages" under Telephone > Bluetooth settings in iDrive.

2. In the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure notifications are on, change the number of notifications from what it's at now, choose 'alert' style, choose 'show on screen'.

3. In the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth and click on the BMW link and make sure "show on screen" is selected.

4. The thing that finally did it for me was to connect via the white Apple USB cable and the Connected app. That allowed the iPhone and iDrive to "see" each other that first time. Since then, no issues wirelessly.

Note: The iPhone must go to sleep during your testing. You can't hit the off button and force it. Have to let it sit (set to 1 minute in Settings) until it goes full-black, then send a test text from another phone.

Note: Mail is not working, only text messages.

BJ

Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM

OK my phone is updated, going to car to try it out...
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I wonder if BMW will put any resources into the current generation i-drive to get things like Mail integration over bluetooth for the iphone working now that iOS supports this... especially considering the huge number of iPhone owners out there.

It would be nice if we can get i-drive software updates for at least a year or two before they move on to bigger and better things (new i-drive hardware).
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the help. Mark got it working and we've updated the first post with the results.

Tim
Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks for excellent help as always on this forum guys.

Mine is working now as well, texts only not emails.

It only seems to work on new messages that come in while you're in the car; it doesn't display unread texts already on the iPhone before connection to car, or previous texts which have been read.

The computerized read-out of texts is quite funny though!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for excellent help as always on this forum guys.

Mine is working now as well, texts only not emails.

It only seems to work on new messages that come in while you're in the car; it doesn't display unread texts already on the iPhone before connection to car, or previous texts which have been read.

The computerized read-out of texts is quite funny though!
iDrive will only sniff the texts that come in while you're driving the car and show up on your iPhone notification screen for the first time. The thought being that you're driving the car, the text comes in, and iDrive is going to feed it to you because you can't grab the phone itself.

BJ

Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
iDrive will only sniff the texts that come in while you're driving the car and show up on your iPhone notification screen for the first time. The thought being that you're driving the car, the text comes in, and iDrive is going to feed it to you because you can't grab the phone itself.

BJ
Yes I see this. Would be nice if it could also show unread texts or even the last few regardless of read/unread.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yes I see this. Would be nice if it could also show unread texts or even the last few regardless of read/unread.
I guess I disagree in that if I've read them already and they're already on my phone I don't need them visible on screen, but...

If a friend texted me a phone number that I needed and I'm in the car and I need to call that number it would be good to go back a few texts, see the number in iDrive, and hit 'dial'.

BJ

Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I guess I disagree in that if I've read them already and they're already on my phone I don't need them visible on screen, but...

If a friend texted me a phone number that I needed and I'm in the car and I need to call that number it would be good to go back a few texts, see the number in iDrive, and hit 'dial'.

BJ
Bet then again searching tor the right text while you are driving will also be a distraction. If the call is that urgent better to pull off the road and lookit up in the phone.
I like all this office integration but I also think that it needs to keep the focus on 'minimum' distraction vs IPAD on wheels.

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
[*] On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
[/featureimg]
Tim, 'Show Preview' doesn't have to be on on the iPhone for this to work.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I wonder if BMW will put any resources into the current generation i-drive to get things like Mail integration over bluetooth for the iphone working now that iOS supports this... especially considering the huge number of iPhone owners out there.

It would be nice if we can get i-drive software updates for at least a year or two before they move on to bigger and better things (new i-drive hardware).
That's phone-dependent for now. Combox software updates to keep up with compatibility issues have been released periodically for the last 2 years.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi F30
Working nicely for me.

My only gripe is that I wish it would either notify me, or auto-play the message when it came in. By the time I check for messages, scroll down, and then select play I've already read it on the screen

Andrew

Andrew Smith