Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Finding it surprisingly nice reading texts on the screen...
Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auptown View Post
Working nicely for me.

My only gripe is that I wish it would either notify me, or auto-play the message when it came in. By the time I check for messages, scroll down, and then select play I've already read it on the screen

Andrew
+1

Agree, a more useful implementation of this feature would be for the car to notify of an incoming message, ask if the driver wants it read to them. Then the only intervention required for the driver to have it read would be to hit the iDrive button once. Ignore the notification and it times out. Anything other than this or something similar falls into the 'gee whiz/who cares' category.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
I upgraded to ios6 this morning. It doesnt really seem that different, I have no use for passbook...so not really sure what the point is...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I upgraded to ios6 this morning. It doesnt really seem that different, I have no use for passbook...so not really sure what the point is...
I like the 'Panorama' option for taking photos, plus of course texts on iDrive screen now...native maps look good too. I like it so far, and it's nice Apple give us these updates for free.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
  • Upgrade your phone to iOS 6
  • If you have paired your phone previous, remove the pairing from your phone and the iDrive system just to start fresh.
  • In iDrive go to Telephone -> Bluetooth -> Your Phone and the push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the main configuration screen
  • Scroll down to Configure Bluetooth and make sure that the check box for "Office" is checked
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Bluetooth -> Your BMW and touch the blue arrow to go to the settings. Make sure that the Show Notifications slider is set to "ON"
  • On your iPhone, go to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages. Make sure the following sections are "ON": Notification Center, Show Preview and View in Lock Screen. We also changed the alert style to Alerts in this section.
  • After getting it all set up and testing by letting the phone lock itself (not pushing the lock button) and sending a text message from another device, it still did not work for us initially. This is the part about shutting off the car and walking away for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe there is a bug that needs the connection to be severed and re-connected to make things work. It is sort of a mystery right now. After coming back and having a message sent the system worked and the notifications came through to the iDrive and were read aloud by the car.
I got it working with a little variation from your list. This is with a iPhone 4S on iOS6 in a 2012 F30.

I followed your steps except rather than turn everything off and walk away from the car, once I got everything configured as you did I just turned off BT on the iPhone then turned it back on and waited for the iPhone to pair up again. It worked fine after that.

Also, I prefer the "Banner" style notification on the phone and the car still receives the messages when configured this way... so the notification style selection does not seem to matter.

Only thing I can't figure out is how to delete the messages from the iDrive display. When you option over to the delete all choice it is greyed out and won't let you delete.

EDIT: Used the car again this afternoon and the messages were deleted. So it looks like once you delete them from the iPhone then the next time it pairs up they get removed from the car.

Last edited by Weaselboy; 09-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Note: The iPhone must go to sleep during your testing. You can't hit the off button and force it. Have to let it sit (set to 1 minute in Settings) until it goes full-black, then send a test text from another phone.

Note: Mail is not working, only text messages.

BJ
I have not found this to be the case with mine. I can manually sleep the phone or even with the phone awake and the screen on, any texts to the phone result in the text showing up in iDrive.

Mail not working here either.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Is this only for the F30 or will this work on an '08 E90 with iDrive?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
The point of passbook is that eventually there will be many services (such as airlines, movie tickets, concerts, etc) that will load your "ticket" into passbook. All you will have to do is show your passbook entry to get access to your item/event/purchase.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Is this only for the F30 or will this work on an '08 E90 with iDrive?
There was no Combox in any 2008 BMW.

The Combox module allows this to work.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
My iPhone did this with iOS 5 in a 2011 BMW X5.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
iOS 5 did not support MAP profile. So whatever your iPhone did in your 2011 X5 is not what it is discussed here.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
impossible.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Here is the official word from BMW about iOS 6 compatibility. You heard it here first -

Quote:
During the past several months, BMW has done extensive Apps, Bluetooth, and USB / audio testing with "pre-release" versions of iOS 6 running primarily on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S devices. This testing has occurred in collaboration with Apple, and we are confident that the final production version for the devices listed above (iOS 6 and iPhone 5) will work well with our vehicles.

The BMW Group continues to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed. Since 2004 the company has established a history of finding solutions for iPod and smartphone integration where none had previously existed.

Last edited by tim330i; 09-20-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
A lot of words for basically saying nothing new

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I followed the steps today and it didn't work until I turned BT off and back on on my iPhone 4. Once it reconnected, the texts started appearing.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Emails do work, but it is buggy. Another member posted a solution on one of the forums. Basically once the car connects to the phone, you have to manually each time go into settings, notifications, mail and switch the number of show threads to a different value, if 5 is checked off, select 1 or 10. This has to be be done each time. Kinda tedious, but works
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Luv

Mein Auto: '13 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Here is the official word from BMW about iOS 6 compatibility. You heard it here first -
Do you have a link to this statement?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
Emails do work, but it is buggy. Another member posted a solution on one of the forums. Basically once the car connects to the phone, you have to manually each time go into settings, notifications, mail and switch the number of show threads to a different value, if 5 is checked off, select 1 or 10. This has to be be done each time. Kinda tedious, but works
Interesting. That sounds like the support is there in the car, and it is a bug with the phone. Maybe an iOS update can fix it.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Apple will make BMW change something on their end more than likely. They have had builds of iOS 6 to test for a long time, if it was an easy fix it would have been taken care of at launch.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM

FYI, non-BMW related, but with iOS6, you lose your You Tube app. You have to go to the App Store and download a new one. Apple is cutting ties with Google stuff, apparently.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528XI
I upgraded my 4s to IOS 6.0 and now when I get into my car and connect the phone to the apple wire (via USB) it starts playing my music through the phone, it shows the artist information on the navi but doesn't play thru the car. This happened to me a handful of times prior to the update but I would reboot my phone and all would be good. I can still reboot my phone and it will play through the car but it's annoying and is happening every time now...fix for this?

2011 BMW 328i Xdrive - Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Aluminum Trim - ZPP, ZCV, ZVP, 205, 609, 655
Old 09-21-2012, 10:05 AM

So, I got in the car today and started driving, and a few minutes later, I got a text. Not only did it not show up, but neither did the text messages I had gotten the day before. A few minutes later, I got a second text, and it DID show up on the iDrive.

So it looks like it takes a few minutes beyond the normal BT connection process for the messages to start showing up.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
FYI, non-BMW related, but with iOS6, you lose your You Tube app. You have to go to the App Store and download a new one. Apple is cutting ties with Google stuff, apparently.
Same goes for Google maps. The new iPhone as well as iOS6 has Apple maps which still is very much a work in progress. Navigate to Google maps on your smart phone browser, save as a shortcut to your desktop, and you'll have Google maps back.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 AM

I didn't know if I should start a separate thread or not, so I figured I'd just post on this one. I picked up the Iphone 5 for Verizon this morning. I set up the phone, and put all my apps back on including all of the BMW apps. I just tested out the new phone with the Lightning to USB cable in the glove compartment to the car, and unfortunately, none of the apps work. The BMW connected app, Pandora, MOG, Stitcher or Aupeo, do not connect with the iPhone 5. This really sucks, as we were led to believe that these apps would still work. Maybe Im doing something wrong ( I don't think I am). MOG, Stitcher and Pandora do try to connect, but ultimately do not. The BMW Connected app doesn't even attempt to make a connection. Hopefully updates will be coming soon
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I didn't know if I should start a separate thread or not, so I figured I'd just post on this one. I picked up the Iphone 5 for Verizon this morning. I set up the phone, and put all my apps back on including all of the BMW apps. I just tested out the new phone with the Lightning to USB cable in the glove compartment to the car, and unfortunately, none of the apps work. The BMW connected app, Pandora, MOG, Stitcher or Aupeo, do not connect with the iPhone 5. This really sucks, as we were led to believe that these apps would still work. Maybe Im doing something wrong ( I don't think I am). MOG, Stitcher and Pandora do try to connect, but ultimately do not. The BMW Connected app doesn't even attempt to make a connection. Hopefully updates will be coming soon
Unfortunately, you did something wrong.

Use the center console USB port, please. It will work; I just tested an iPhone 5 in my E92 M3 and it works fine with BMW Apps.