Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions

Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Please post your comments, ideas, or suggestions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM
KaileSvick KaileSvick is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 378
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Coding Sections

I see you have a general coding section here. Maybe introduce chassis specific sections?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 AM
tim330i's Avatar
tim330i tim330i is offline
Administrator
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,788
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
What specific models would you break out? As far as I know there is a decent amount cross over in code, say from the F10 to F30, at least in concept. That is why we created the single forum.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
KaileSvick KaileSvick is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 378
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Agreed. I was thinking basically based per series. Such as 1-series coding, 3-series coding etc. That way people searching for vehicle specific coding would not have to do as much searching, kind of help streamline the process a bit
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
tim330i's Avatar
tim330i tim330i is offline
Administrator
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,788
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
The way the coding forum is setup now you can search for specific chassis codes. So you can find just threads on F30 or F10 as examples.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,599
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaileSvick View Post
I see you have a general coding section here. Maybe introduce chassis specific sections?
Been seeing a lot about coding here recently. I thought coding was about engines, but now it appears it's about chassis. Can someone explain?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM
tim330i's Avatar
tim330i tim330i is offline
Administrator
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,788
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Been seeing a lot about coding here recently. I thought coding was about engines, but now it appears it's about chassis. Can someone explain?
It is confusing as the same term is being applied. Technically they're both changing parts of the DME/ECU but one is for the engine mapping, what I would call 'engine tuning', and the other is for the options on the car, what would have been 'dealer coding' until recently when enthusiasts starting figuring out how to access the options themselves.

From the intro thread by April1 in the coding forum -

Quote:
Coding is for people who want to play with the settings of BMW car software to achieve something more desirable. Coding is not really a programming; it is another name for re-configuring the software of your car.
Read more on the BMW coding forum here - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631884

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,599
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
It is confusing as the same term is being applied. Technically they're both changing parts of the DME/ECU but one is for the engine mapping, what I would call 'engine tuning', and the other is for the options on the car, what would have been 'dealer coding' until recently when enthusiasts starting figuring out how to access the options themselves.

From the intro thread by April1 in the coding forum -



Read more on the BMW coding forum here - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631884

Tim
Okay; so I'm trying to understand why people would need to do this. Are there settings that the dealer will not provide? I know that there are some European settings not available in the US. Is that a factor?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM
KaileSvick KaileSvick is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 378
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Okay; so I'm trying to understand why people would need to do this. Are there settings that the dealer will not provide? I know that there are some European settings not available in the US. Is that a factor?
Many options that the dealer charges money to activate or deactivate can be coded for free with the right tools. Options such as windows up via fob, auto locking, headlight behavior, programming new components etc.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms