Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
1998 BMW 528i questions HELP!!

I currently drive a 1998 bmw 528i, with 205k miles, It has a new engine, battery, water hose, radiator, Catalytic Converters, o2 sensor after Catalytic, new speed sensor, new tie rod, vacuum hose, belts, pullys, radiator fan, clutch fan.

Just a few questions. i know these are on other threads just can't seem to narrow down the problems, no lights on dash other than the air bag.

1. when i start the car up when its cold (sitting for a few hours) it idles out and sounds like it'll die until i give it a little gas. possible exhaust leak or bad o2 sensors? or could it be something else?

2. i replaced the brake fluid in my car (Under the carbon filter) when putting the filter back together it seemed as if i heard something break off. now when i'm stopped at a stoplight and i release the brake the press the gas the car shakes? the pedal, steering wheel everything it seems. what could that be?

3. i replaced my brakes in December, (no sensors replaced not knowing about them) and when i brake there is a loud screech, hurts the ears.

finally 4. The sun roof/moon roof, it works it just gets stuck sometimes, (Won't close) but if i keep pressing the button it'll finally close. any idea on that one?

Sorry if i just don't see them on other threads, this is my first post.
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac190 View Post
1. when i start the car up when its cold (sitting for a few hours) it idles out and sounds like it'll die until i give it a little gas. possible exhaust leak or bad o2 sensors? or could it be something else?
Noticed you haven't gotten a lot of quality responses. I'm no expert, but I think the camshaft timing... Vanos unit can cause that type of rough starting. You said you have a new engine, but I think they probably would NOT have rebuilt the Vanos at that time. Might be worth looking into.

Quote:
3. i replaced my brakes in December, (no sensors replaced not knowing about them) and when i brake there is a loud screech, hurts the ears.
Did you use the brake lube? There is a thread on here that depicts exactly where to use it. Also, how did you go about changing pads and not see the sensors?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
1. Check all tune-up items to be sure they are up-to-date: spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter etc.

2. Open the cabin filter again and check the vacuum hose feeding the brake booster.

3. Check the brake pad mfg. Is it some no-name pads?

4. Close the sunroof and don't open it again LOL.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
1. Possible dirty or bad idle control valve, or bad VANOS seals. Go here to diagnose: www.beisansystems.com

2. Agree with cn90.

3. The pads com in pairs. at least one has a notch on the top surface for the wear indicator. Some moron replaced the pads and tossed them. The indicators are at left front and right rear.

For the screech, you need insulators on the backing plate. Get them at any good auto parts store. Did you bed the pads?

4. There is a pair of plastic widgets that are supposed to tuck the wind deflector down before the roof closes completely. One or both are broken.

BTW, when you say "new engine," is this a factory rebuild, or a used engine?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 09-20-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
1. Possible dirty or bad idle control valve, or bad VANOS seals. Go here to diagnose: www.beisansystems.com

2. Agree with cn90.

3. The pads com in pairs. at least one has a notch on the top surface for the wear indicator. Some moron replaced the pads and tossed them. The indicators are at left front and right rear.

For the screech, you need insulators on the backing plate. Get them at any good auto parts store. Did you bed the pads?

4. There is a pair of plastic widgets that are supposed to tuck the wind deflector down before the roof closes completely. One or both are broken.

BTW, when you say "new engine," is this a factory rebuild, or a used engine?
1. I don't think its the VANOS seals because it's only when the engine is cold. not the weather ect ect... it could be 105 degrees outside and if i haven't started my car at all that day it'll still do it. Where exactly is the idle control valve?

4. Is there a way to check the widgets without taking anything off, or out? what's the easiest way to do that?

"New engine" as in, i bought the engine heads from the factory and had my mechanic put it in for a cheaper labor price. He has done almost all of the work on the car except the Converters.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
2. Open the cabin filter again and check the vacuum hose feeding the brake booster.
Explain a little more vividly please!