Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
Question Is it possible to replace battery DIY?

I don't plan to do it now as it would void my warranty, but say after a few years when I don't want to spend 1500 for a battery, do I have the option to DIY?
Ads by Google
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
You can change over the battery yourself but the X5 will need to be recoded to tell its got a new battery, as the charging rates change!
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
You can change over the battery yourself but the X5 will need to be recoded to tell its got a new battery, as the charging rates change!

Yeah I know. Is it possible to buy something like this

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

and reprogram myself, or I am hopeless tied up with 1500 battery change for good (that would be a bad news for me)

Thanks for your help!!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM

For start off you can buy those cables for $25, the problem will be getting your mind around the software programs.

And why are you saying a new battery costs $1,500?
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Yes, you can do it yourself. A BMW battery OR an equivalent or even a better (higher capacity).

You should regregister. (and if you change capacity, recode)

HOWEVER, IMO the cost of paying the "BMW Bend Over Rates" may actually exceed the cost of replacing the batteries a bit sooner than if it was properly registered.

I am sure you can find a non-BMW dealer to do the coding. Or you could 'trap' the dealer and get a quote on doing the registration alone- an hour- and then bring the car in with the new battery and say 'do it'.

GL

A
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
For start off you can buy those cables for $25, the problem will be getting your mind around the software programs.

And why are you saying a new battery costs $1,500?
Someone told me it would cost 1500 for a battery replacement. I cannot confirm but it is not the point-- 1000 or 1500 or whatever, for a battery? It should be 200 max!! (It may not be relevant, but BTW 7 years ago I sold my first car to a guy for $1450, and now I am preparing myself to buy a battery for the same price!! Isn't that insane??)

I can understand some fancy brand doing this type of thing, but BMW should not penny pinch nickle and dime its customers, who are for the most part middle class people.

Last edited by zerobama; 09-18-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Yes, you can do it yourself. A BMW battery OR an equivalent or even a better (higher capacity).

You should regregister. (and if you change capacity, recode)

HOWEVER, IMO the cost of paying the "BMW Bend Over Rates" may actually exceed the cost of replacing the batteries a bit sooner than if it was properly registered.

I am sure you can find a non-BMW dealer to do the coding. Or you could 'trap' the dealer and get a quote on doing the registration alone- an hour- and then bring the car in with the new battery and say 'do it'.

GL

A
thanks for the info!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I changed my battery 1 year ago to a 100ah AGM battery. It is a 10 min DIY job..No need to reprogram..(unless you use a smaller AH battery than original)
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsen View Post
I changed my battery 1 year ago to a 100ah AGM battery. It is a 10 min DIY job..No need to reprogram..(unless you use a smaller AH battery than original)
The consensus around here and other BMW forums is that it does need to be programmed. I'm not sure if anyone could verify line codes that someone back this up???

See post above for why.

Jay
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
So I guess this means that if the battery in my 2013 X5 dies in my driveway I can't call AAA to replace the battery like we just did for my son's 06 X3? Rather inconvenient and a little odd. Years ago my daughter had a Hyundai Santa Fe with a dead battery. AAA came, pulled out their battery book, said "we're not allowed to change a Hyundai battery" so they charged it and we had to drive to the dealer who replaced the battery (4:00 PM on a Saturday). This sounds worse - I don't expect the BMW dealer to be so accomodating.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
So I guess this means that if the battery in my 2013 X5 dies in my driveway I can't call AAA to replace the battery like we just did for my son's 06 X3? Rather inconvenient and a little odd. Years ago my daughter had a Hyundai Santa Fe with a dead battery. AAA came, pulled out their battery book, said "we're not allowed to change a Hyundai battery" so they charged it and we had to drive to the dealer who replaced the battery (4:00 PM on a Saturday). This sounds worse - I don't expect the BMW dealer to be so accomodating.
Sadly, most likely- yes.

The BMW battery is an AGM type- which isnt really that magical or unusual, but the electrical system in the car has two specific things that need to be "matched" to the battery.

First, the size and capacity of the battery must be programmed into the car.

Second, the car- over time- adapts to the discharge cycle of the battery as it ages. When you suddenly replace an old with a new, you need to 're-register' the battery- even if it is identical.

Personally, I do not believe this registration is essential or represents a danger. It may result in shorter battery life for the replacement....Just my opinion. You can read all sorts of horror stories about this, which I generally discount.

The first time my X5 gives me any discharge issues or needs a jump, I'll replace the battery- and then register it. (If you cannot do the registering, any shop with a BMW computer can do it in 10 minutes- you just need to negotiate a resonable fee for this. But you surely can pop in a replacement battery in advance.)

A
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM

Suspect I will just replace the battery after about 4 years if it doesn't die first or if the dealer, if I bring it in for the "free" maintenance, says the battery is failing and I feel I can trust them. Since I suspect that my "free" maintenance will not last 4 years due to the amount of driving I do, will probably be switching to an indy anyway.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM

http://advanceautoparts.**************************
Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
I replaced my battery 2 years ago, and did not reprogram, and never have had any issue with the new battery. A word of advice...the first time the car turns over slowly, consider a new battery. You will probably only get one more start out of the battery before it goes, click, click, click...you get the point. I got every light on the dash lit up as possible when I changed battery (possibly due to the programming issue). One by one, the lights go away though. My dealer was quoting $400, and I bought for $110.

Last edited by CALLAWAY845; 09-19-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 PM

$400 seems a tad steep for a battery that apparently costs about $110 retail. Nice markup for the high-tech labor needed to remeber which cable to remove first when changing a battery.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
$400 seems a tad steep for a battery that apparently costs about $110 retail. Nice markup for the high-tech labor needed to remeber which cable to remove first when changing a battery.
400 is cheap compared to what gets quoted!

Then there is all that software programming they need to do....and the warranty, dont forget that...and oh, they give your car a fresh 'swirl-detail'.

And cappuccino...plus free wifi...

and finally you can sit around and gloat in your 'BMW Ownership'

Priceless if you ask me
Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I installed a new battery (AutoCraft H8-AGM) from Advance Auto Parts last Saturday. So far everything works great. It's only $125.99 after using a link my friend sent to me. The link saved me $35 instantly. The battery can be used on X3, X5 and 5 Series. I got free installation at local store.

Here is the link (up to 40% on everything): http://advanceautoparts.**************************

H8-AGM Spes:
Acid Included: Yes
Battery Type: AGM
Battery Usage: Auto/Truck
BCI Group Size: H8
Cold Cranking Amps: 900
Cranking Amps: 1000
Deep Cycle/Starting: Dual Purpose
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 160
Terminal Type: SAE
Weight: 59.45
Length: 13.94
Width: 6.938
Height: 7.5

Warranty:
7 Year Warranty (3 Year FREE Replacement)