Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: prospective x3
Thick Gray or White smoke coming from exhaust

I have thick gray/white smoke coming from my exhaust. It everywhere and its constant. I stopped at the store and when I returned and started the vehicle it started smoking nonstop. I have not seen any oil leaking, I use the Chevron 93 octane gas, and I just had the BMW inspection done. I have about 58000 miles on my X3 which I purchased used from carmax 9 months ago. I don't know what to think. Please HELP me. I've always wanted a Bimmer but I think I am in trouble now. I do have an extended warranty.
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3, 2.0i, Manual, 10/06
White smoke from the exhaust usually means head gasket faiure and coolant leaks in the combustion chamber producing the white smoke. Check your coolant level to make sure it's ok and keep an eye on temp gauge. If it starts heating up...STOP! Of course take it to a shop!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 5
May it also mean CVV (crankcase ventilation valve). I think that is white smoke at start-up that clears away.

do a search for cvv
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 on getting it to a shop ASAP!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
May it also mean CVV (crankcase ventilation valve). I think that is white smoke at start-up that clears away.

do a search for cvv
+1 for cvv failure

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 05' X3
I am so glad I found this thread and the CVV information, I had this same issue for awhile and was worried it was a head gasket, but did not think that made sense as the car had no other symptoms for that and the frequency of the smoke was not getting more frequent/ and performance seemed fine. Currently it will blow the white smoke for a few seconds about 5% of start-ups, can I wait until my next scheduled service in about a month to have this fixed or so or is the CVV an issue that needs to be addressed immediately?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflowers539 View Post
I am so glad I found this thread and the CVV information, I had this same issue for awhile and was worried it was a head gasket, but did not think that made sense as the car had no other symptoms for that and the frequency of the smoke was not getting more frequent/ and performance seemed fine. Currently it will blow the white smoke for a few seconds about 5% of start-ups, can I wait until my next scheduled service in about a month to have this fixed or so or is the CVV an issue that needs to be addressed immediately?
you absolutely need to get that fixed! It can lead to a hydrolock condition from oil in the cylinders. I had mine fixed for less than $500 parts and labor from an indy. Are you sure you are not just blowing condensation though? When my CVV failed, I had a CEL and a rough idle.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 05' X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
you absolutely need to get that fixed! It can lead to a hydrolock condition from oil in the cylinders. I had mine fixed for less than $500 parts and labor from an indy. Are you sure you are not just blowing condensation though? When my CVV failed, I had a CEL and a rough idle.
I do not have the CEL light on and the rough idel thing is interesting, the only time I ever noticed a rough idel is right before I shut the car off, and then the following start-up is when I'll see the white smoke. But again this only happend once every 20 starts or so and it has been going on for months. Did it happen to you everytime when you needed it replaced? Maybe mine is just starting to go so it is not that far gone yet, but I'll have it checked out soon anyway.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
I had noticed some idle fluctuations before my CEL came on, then the idle was bad all the time, actually drove fine, just idle fluctuated pretty bad.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: prospective x3
thanks for your responses

the indy shop guy said its the PVC valve. he said the pressure check is registering an 8 but needs to higher if it's going to be covered by my extended warranty . so I have to wait till its higher or pay 900 dollars out of pocket