Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus RX350
Almost three weeks into my 35i

I picked up my new 35i x3 almost three weeks ago. It is my first BMW and the first vehicle I've ever had built to my specs. So far I am loving it but thought I would share my initial review to get others' thoughts.

Here is what I got: 35i with M Sport in Black Carbon, oyster interior with all the packages except the premium sound or the drivers assist.

First, I love both the exterior color and the oyster leather. Photos just do not do the black carbon paint color justice. It is fierce and beautiful IMHO. Also living in Dallas people advised to not get black because it would get too hot. I have found that with the oyster interior that is not the case at all. For being over 100 outside getting in the car has been fine with the oyster....one caveat, don't leave the moonroof liner open. Then the car is justifiably hot.

Second, I wish I had spent the extra $900 on the premium sound. For a $50K vehicle, it should have a better stereo (again IMHO). I used to drive a Lexus RX350 without premium sound and thought it was fine so I never assumed I would need it. The base Lexus stereo is way better than the base BMW stereo. This has truly been the only disappointment and I am by no means a stereo snob or anything.

Third, I am getting in the low 15s on mpg and that is with a conscious effort to drive in ECO PRO mode. I was thinking it would be higher than this given the EPA estimate of 19 for city driving. The vehicle devours gas in the sport mode. Some people have said gas mileage improves though after the car is broken in. Hopefully that will be the case.

Fourth, having the unlock button in the center of the car is quite annoying when I open the door by touching the handle and have to reach all the way in to unlock a back door. But I guess that is just a BMW standard thing. I just think that is bad design though for a woman carrying things she needs to put in the back seat.

Fifth, I think the feature that turns the car off when stopped is neat and I feel compelled to use it to save gas/ be ecological etc... but it takes some getting used to and can be annoying in a stop/go traffic situation.

All in all, I love my new x3. The only changes I would make are to get the premium sound and add a little more horsepower (but that of course is not an option and probably not even a good idea for my lead foot).

Happy driving,

Daisy
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Your gas mileage should go up once your X3 is broken in. I have a 35i and get 20.5 mpg in stop and go driving and 27.5 mpg on the highway.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
Have to laugh DG because other than exterior color we have the same vehicle and exact same views on the stereo, lock button, gas mileage, stop start.

Here's what I can share after 4000 awesome miles. Mileage goes up for sure. I am getting 22MPG in mixed driving with 20% sport mode lead foot driving. As for the door locks your only solution is to change the lock setting so the vehicle doesn't auto lock assuming you don't have really small kids or live in a dangerous area.

I am still not a fan of Start/stop especially in rush hour traffic or when I need a quick start from a light. I think I am going to try driving on a full tank with the feature deactivated and see if my mileage really changes. If it doesnt I'll have BMW recode the thing so it remembers the last setting.

Last edited by Jen4BMW; 09-09-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Hey DG,

I've noticed my city MPG is bang on what is advertised by BMW. Try resetting the the overall trip computer in the iDrive and then monitor. I don't very often use EcoPro mode so maybe you have to drive in Normal mode.

As Jen4BMW noted the door locking protocols can be adjusted in the iDrive to suit individual needs. I have comfort access open all doors on unlock and I've disabled lock while in motion.

Lastly, the start/stop in traffic. It can be defeated easily by modulating the brakes. ...come to a stop then slightly release the brake pedal pressure and the feature is disabled. I suppose the start/stop is designed this way for stop and go traffic. This way if you know it's going to be a long set of lights you can let the car shut down.

Last edited by lbjgh; 09-08-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
next to the ignition button for our trucks is the auto start/stop enable diable button, u can disable it in traffic
Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGirl View Post
I picked up my new 35i x3 almost three weeks ago. It is my first BMW and the first vehicle I've ever had built to my specs. So far I am loving it but thought I would share my initial review to get others' thoughts.

Here is what I got: 35i with M Sport in Black Carbon, oyster interior with all the packages except the premium sound or the drivers assist.

First, I love both the exterior color and the oyster leather. Photos just do not do the black carbon paint color justice. It is fierce and beautiful IMHO. Also living in Dallas people advised to not get black because it would get too hot. I have found that with the oyster interior that is not the case at all. For being over 100 outside getting in the car has been fine with the oyster....one caveat, don't leave the moonroof liner open. Then the car is justifiably hot.

Second, I wish I had spent the extra $900 on the premium sound. For a $50K vehicle, it should have a better stereo (again IMHO). I used to drive a Lexus RX350 without premium sound and thought it was fine so I never assumed I would need it. The base Lexus stereo is way better than the base BMW stereo. This has truly been the only disappointment and I am by no means a stereo snob or anything.

Third, I am getting in the low 15s on mpg and that is with a conscious effort to drive in ECO PRO mode. I was thinking it would be higher than this given the EPA estimate of 19 for city driving. The vehicle devours gas in the sport mode. Some people have said gas mileage improves though after the car is broken in. Hopefully that will be the case.

Fourth, having the unlock button in the center of the car is quite annoying when I open the door by touching the handle and have to reach all the way in to unlock a back door. But I guess that is just a BMW standard thing. I just think that is bad design though for a woman carrying things she needs to put in the back seat.

Fifth, I think the feature that turns the car off when stopped is neat and I feel compelled to use it to save gas/ be ecological etc... but it takes some getting used to and can be annoying in a stop/go traffic situation.

All in all, I love my new x3. The only changes I would make are to get the premium sound and add a little more horsepower (but that of course is not an option and probably not even a good idea for my lead foot).

Happy driving,

Daisy
We took delivery of DG's "sister" car 8/27...so far I have driven about 15 miles, while my wife has logged 185. We live in the city so long trips are fairly uncommon. However, overall impressions are very impressive.

DG and I have very similar cars ( save for color )...however...she elected for Dynamic Handling ( how is it? ) while i went with premium sound. For a "premium sound" package, i'm not blown away by it so I dread to think what the regular is like. That said, I like the satellite radio and think it will get good use.

The car is perfect for zipping around Chicago in. So far we are getting about 12.9mpg so an improvement would be nice to see once broken in. The technology package is a must as is ( in my opinion ) M-Sport.

Overall...great car. This was my first BMW...and certainly not my last.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Eazy Peezy

DG and Jen,

You can spend about $250 and upgrade the quality of the sound enormously just by changing the door speakers. I have installed sound systems in several X3's (two of my own) and helped dozens upon dozens of others.

BMW's sound system is one of the worst in its class. Even their premium sound system is not much better than cars of lesser cost entry sound systems so don't feel bad. I can't believe that they still have not made any major improvements from the previous generation (actually I can, but Meh)

Here is what you need to do. Start by simply replacing the door speakers which are complete crap. They are made from materials used in the 70's.

These are the speakers I highly recommend, and will fit with no issues both physically and electronically.

Alpine SPS 410 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-SPS-410.html

They are only $55.00 a pair so you can replace all 4 doors for just under $110 US. Any decent installer can put these in for around $60 a set of doors. So that is another $120.00 US.

The improvement is immediate. It is the difference between having Sears monthly tires special as opposed to a set of Pirelli or Michelins.

Please PM me if you need additional help or have questions.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 09-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
DG and Jen,

You can spend about $250 and upgrade the quality of the sound enormously just by changing the door speakers. I have installed sound systems in several X3's (two of my own) and helped dozens upon dozens of others.

BMW's sound system is one of the worst in its class. Even their premium sound system is not much better than cars of lesser cost entry sound systems so don't feel bad. I can't believe that they still have not made any major improvements from the previous generation (actually I can, but Meh)

Here is what you need to do. Start by simply replacing the door speakers which are complete crap. They are made from materials used in the 70's.

These are the speakers I highly recommend, and will fit with no issues both physically and electronically.

Alpine SPS 410 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-SPS-410.html

They are only $55.00 a pair so you can replace all 4 doors for just under $110 US. Any decent installer can put these in for around $60 a set of doors. So that is another $120.00 US.

The improvement is immediate. It is the difference between having Sears monthly tires special as opposed to a set of Pirelli or Michelins.

Please PM me if you need additional help or have questions.
Can you please make a video on replace the speakers? Reading tjis makes me want to change mine real bad!

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 X3 28i
If the door are unlocked, and you are exiting from the inside, pull the handle twice and they will unlock.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Can you please make a video on replace the speakers? Reading tjis makes me want to change mine real bad!

Thanks!
Will have to settle for pix and commentary. I just sold my X3 last Friday. I left the Alpine's in the doors for the lucky owner. I do have lots of pictures I have taken over the years. I'll post it on Friday night.

You can't go wrong with this change unless you are tone deaf.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Will have to settle for pix and commentary. I just sold my X3 last Friday. I left the Alpine's in the doors for the lucky owner. I do have lots of pictures I have taken over the years. I'll post it on Friday night.

You can't go wrong with this change unless you are tone deaf.
Did you pick up your S4 yet?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Did you pick up your S4 yet?
Dont want to hijack DG's thread, but yes. I will do a write up after a week's driving, but put quite simply BMW better get their act together. The 335i xdrive which is supposed to be the competitor doesn't even come close. I have never owned a vehicle that satisfies so many things as the S4. I keep waiting for some hidden gotcha' like I have run into with both my BMW's. If I purchase another SAV it will almost 95% certain to be the S diesel TDI Q5. I took a gamble on getting an AT because I can't stand the lag that all the BMWs seem to have from one degree or another. There is NONE, absolutely no delay in shifting.

Sorry DG. Please PM if I can help with the stereo set up. I intend to visit this site still as I enjoy helping folks with improving their sound systems. And just chatting as well.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Smile Almost 4 weeks into my 2013 X3 35i

Hey DaisyGirl,

I read your post and Congratulations on purchasing a beautiful vehicle. I purchased my 2013 X3 35i with ALL the 4 packages available but NO premium sound like yourself. However, i was pretty pleased with the sound clarity, the base and the component speakers it comes with. As far as the M package, i dont think i have that either I chose he Sapphire Black with Black leather interior with the Sports package and love those retractable bucket seats with White color stitching like the one in Lamborghini. As for the ride, its great but the suspension are stiffer than my Mercedes (its typical for BMW), As for the average, it is giving me somewhere around 20mpg in the city (mostly because i dont drive it agressively). Just to answer your question on the unlocking the rear door, etc from the button on the center of dashboard, you can change the setting where when you touch the handle (keyless entry), it will open ALL doors instead of just the driver side door and then change the option where it wouldn't autolock the doors when you take off. As for the auto shutting down of the Engine, it was a bit "different" for me initially but i thought i would give it a try and sure enough it helps with increased gas mileage especiall driving in the city. So, try it out and see if makes any difference for you. Overall, i would like to say i am very pleased with my first BMW ever and glad i bought it over a Mercedes simply because it looks sporty and stylish for a male in his early 30s.

Good Luck and happy driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine" as they say as BMW.

~Deepak
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 3.5i
I purchased my 2013 X3 3.5 AW M sport with everything but the heads up and the CW2 package. I also have an 05 S2000 and an 07 TL-S. The X3 replaced my 95 4Runner. The X3 is amazing!

Last edited by DonCX3; 09-21-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: error