Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 Lexus ES 350
New iphone 5 just annouced. Adapters sold by apple for older devices

Engadget reports that Apple will sell adapters that convert the "lightning" into an older one. Here is the excerpt from engadget "If you've got a bunch of accessories designed for the old connector, you're not completely left out in the cold. Apple will happily sell you an adapter."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/i...lly-announced/

So does that mean that we may not need to get a newer iphone dock for the idrive integration?

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
For those of us without the snap-in adapter nothing changes. New white cord plugs right into USB. Done.

For those with the snap-in adapter you're going to need a new one because there isn't room to squeeze the new adapter in the mechanism. Short term you'll have to go dockless like the rest of us.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
For those of us without the snap-in adapter nothing changes. New white cord plugs right into USB. Done.

For those with the snap-in adapter you're going to need a new one because there isn't room to squeeze the new adapter in the mechanism. Short term you'll have to go dockless like the rest of us.

BJ
As I am anxiously awaiting to place an order in November with the Tech package, I have been wondering the same thing. I wonder if BMW will replace the current snap-in connector with an updated one, will that be something that has to be bought, or will they even offer one at all? If they work it into the new production line, will you have a choice of which connector you want?

Last edited by dzaborn; 09-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
As I am anxiously awaiting to place an order in November with the Tech package, I have been wondering the same thing. I wonder if BMW will replace the current snap-in adapter with an updated one, will that be something that has to be bought, or will they just not offer one?
you'll need to buy a new one if they come out with it. the car doesnt come with the adapter
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
you'll need to buy a new one if they come out with it. the car doesnt come with the adapter
Maybe I should have said connector or dock instead of adapter. If you have the Tech Package, doesn't the center console have a snap-in dock where the iphone snaps directly into the dock/connector, therefore no cables are needed? If the phone is a different size, and the connector port is smaller, the new iPhone 5 will not snap in to the current dock. I wonder how they plan to remedy this. It would be ashame to waste space in the center console with a dock that cannot even be used.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Maybe I should have said connector or dock instead of adapter. If you have the Tech Package, doesn't the center console have a snap-in dock where the iphone snaps directly into the dock/connector, therefore no cables are needed? If the phone is a different size, and the connector port is smaller, the new iPhone 5 will not snap in to the current dock. I wonder how they plan to remedy this. It would be ashame to waste space in the center console with a dock that cannot even be used.
no, it has a place to connect a dock. the actual dock ("snap in adapter") where the phone snaps in is an accessory.
BMW Apple iPhone Media / BMW APPS Version Snap In Adapters $250

This adapter is for vehicles equipped with the Smart Phone Integration or BMW APPS factory options. For vehicles with Smart Phone Integration, this adapter not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. In addition, it provides a connection to the roof mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. For vehicles with BMW APPS, this adapter is required to fully utilize all features of this option. In addition to the great features noted for Smart Phone integration, it allows you to use the "PlugIn" as well as the "Video Playback" features. To ensure a phone is supported and compatible with the vehicle, refer to the list of tested phones available at http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...oothTechnology Only applicable to vehicles produced after 9/2010 and equipped with either Smart Phone Integration (option code 6NF) or BMW APPS (option code 6NR). BMW APPS is compatible only with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.
Each price is the suggested retail price and is subject to change. Price excludes installation and taxes.
so when a new phone is released, you just need to replace the dock

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 09-12-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
no, it has a place to connect a dock. the actual dock ("snap in adapter") where the phone snaps in is an accessory.

so when a new phone is released, you just need to replace the dock
ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation! I think it would be nice if they offer a choice of iPhone 4 or 5 docks when ordering. I guess we'll see.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

The snap-in adapter (above) is a $150 accessory from BMW. What the rest of us have (not shown) is an empty cavity where that adapter can snap in. If you remove your snap-in adapter, you'll see what the rest of us have. You still have the USB port into which a white Apple cord can plug and work almost as effectively as the snap-in.

The iPhone 4 snap-in adapter is not going to work for any/all of these three reasons:

1. The new dock connector is smaller and incompatible with the iPhone 4 snap in adapter.

2. The new dock connector adapter which allows iPhone 5 devices to connect to iPhone 4 dock connectors is itself about 1/2 and inch long.

3. The new iPhone 5 is taller than the iPhone 4.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation! I think it would be nice if they offer a choice of iPhone 4 or 5 docks when ordering. I guess we'll see.
Typically, it takes BMW 6-12 months to catch up and design an Apple adapter.

BJ

Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
the dock is not a factory option, the car comes ready with the connector for it.
you buy the dock from the dealer after delivery.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Here's a photo from this morning's Apple keynote showing the converter they're selling for older devices/cords/connectors to fit into the newer iPhone 5.

BJ

Old 09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
FYI: The car has a phone baseplate. The actual phone snaps into the corresponding snap-in adapter. The snap-in adapter plugs into the baseplate.

The iPhone 5 will require a new snap-in adapter. The baseplate stays the same.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
FYI: The car has a phone baseplate. The actual phone snaps into the corresponding snap-in adapter. The snap-in adapter plugs into the baseplate.

The iPhone 5 will require a new snap-in adapter. The baseplate stays the same.
Switching gears from hardware to software...

iPhone iOS6 questions (regarding the new iPhone text and email integration):

1. The ability to read emails and text messages is all wireless, all through Bluetooth, correct?

2. When you get an incoming text, can you see that message atop whatever iDrive is displaying? If your map is on primary with entertainment on split screen and you get a text, does it overlay the map with a preview of what the text says?

I'm hoping that I'm excited about a wireless solution that doesn't require me to make a dozen iDrive spins and clicks. Text comes in, text is displayed on screen. Email comes in, subject line is displayed on screen. Just like the iPhone, but atop the iDrive LCD. Am I going to be happy or sad?

BJ

Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Switching gears from hardware to software...

iPhone iOS6 questions (regarding the new iPhone text and email integration):

1. The ability to read emails and text messages is all wireless, all through Bluetooth, correct?
Correct.

iOS 6 adds Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP), which allows the transfer of text/email data to the BMW Office feature.

Quote:
2. When you get an incoming text, can you see that message atop whatever iDrive is displaying? If your map is on primary with entertainment on split screen and you get a text, does it overlay the map with a preview of what the text says?
The current "message received" (Google addresses) notification is an envelope icon on the upper right corner of the iDrive screen. That will be the notification in this current iDrive version, AFAIK. Now, for the new texts/emails you would need to select Office to physically see them, the same way Blackberry's show their texts/emails.

So far the iOS6 Beta has shown the messages that way in the iDrive screen.

Quote:
I'm hoping that I'm excited about a wireless solution that doesn't require me to make a dozen iDrive spins and clicks. Text comes in, text is displayed on screen. Email comes in, subject line is displayed on screen. Just like the iPhone, but atop the iDrive LCD. Am I going to be happy or sad?

BJ
See above.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:

See above.
So, in essence, much ado about nothing.

In the end, it's easier to pick up the iPhone and glance at the screen than it is to notice a tiny icon, hit "Menu", scroll, hit "Office", scroll, hit "Messages", scroll, hit "First Message", scroll, hit "Read" or whatever.

The proper thing to do would be to follow Apple's lead and come up with an option for immediate on-screen notifications with preview text. But no, we've got to drill through menu's. Ugh. Thanks for the reality check.

BJ

Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
So, in essence, much ado about nothing.

In the end, it's easier to pick up the iPhone and glance at the screen than it is to notice a tiny icon, hit "Menu", scroll, hit "Office", scroll, hit "Messages", scroll, hit "First Message", scroll, hit "Read" or whatever.

The proper thing to do would be to follow Apple's lead and come up with an option for immediate on-screen notifications with preview text. But no, we've got to drill through menu's. Ugh. Thanks for the reality check.

BJ
Perhaps one of the 1-9 preset buttons could make this simpler.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
Quote:

Here's a photo from this morning's Apple keynote showing the converter they're selling for older devices/cords/connectors to fit into the newer iPhone 5.

BJ
The adapter does not support video or iPod out. http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/app...ip-in-october/
Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
The one great thing I can think of with having the MAP Bluetooth capability is that if you are streaming with say, Pandora or MOG, you can still read email and texts without having to exit the streaming app. Controller twists and clicks will still be required but at least you won't have to cut the music to check emails and texts.

I hate getting texts from the wife while I'm streaming lol.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Lexus ES 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
The adapter does not support video or iPod out. http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/app...ip-in-october/
That stinks!! So for those that cannot do with just the cable there would be a wait on the modified cradle. Also for those who already purchased the cradle, I hope BMW provides a more reasonable solution that having to buy a whole another cradle all together.

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf30 View Post
Also for those who already purchased the cradle, I hope BMW provides a more reasonable solution that having to buy a whole another cradle all together.
The only solution for those is another cradle.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
Because the snap-in adapter is the only interface for video and iPod Out, and this adapter cannot be used with the snap-in then from the point of view of BMW Apps this incompatibility is moot.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Couldn't you just buy the 30-pin to lightning 0.2 meter CABLE and plug the end of the cable into the cradle? It seems like there would be some hardware in these adapters that drives all 30 pins (video and iPod out) since Apple didn't specifically exclude any features of existing dock accessories.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomichaelkgo View Post
Couldn't you just buy the 30-pin to lightning 0.2 meter CABLE and plug the end of the cable into the cradle? It seems like there would be some hardware in these adapters that drives all 30 pins (video and iPod out) since Apple didn't specifically exclude any features of existing dock accessories.
I think that we are trying too hard to fit a squared peg into a round hole...

If the adapter does not support iPod Out/video then there is no functionality difference between the snap-in and the USB port from the point of view of the iPhone 5. Therefore there is no point in making the connection at the snap in -or getting the Lightning adapter in the first place- if the included Lightning USB cable can be used at the USB port.

If what is desired is to use the snap-in antenna connection with the iPhone 5 then it is not located in any of the 30 pins of the Apple connector. It should be located in the actual snap-in frame somehow, and connected to the phone via induction or some other kind of contact-less connection. So having the phone .2m apart or not making full contact with the snap-in definitely will make this antenna connection null.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Correct.

iOS 6 adds Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP), which allows the transfer of text/email data to the BMW Office feature.

The current "message received" (Google addresses) notification is an envelope icon on the upper right corner of the iDrive screen. That will be the notification in this current iDrive version, AFAIK. Now, for the new texts/emails you would need to select Office to physically see them, the same way Blackberry's show their texts/emails.

So far the iOS6 Beta has shown the messages that way in the iDrive screen.

See above.
Can iPhone 4/4s be upgraded to ios6 to take advantage of the text/email features in F30?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Can iPhone 4/4s be upgraded to ios6 to take advantage of the text/email features in F30?

Thanks.
Yes.

iOS 6 releases on September 19. Even though it's only 2 days before I'll have my iPhone 5 I'm going to upgrade my iPhone 4 and check it out.

BJ