Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw z4
Unhappy HELP! I really need help, plz read post and give me ideas

I have a 2003 BMW z4 with 52000 km on it. I was driving to work today and as I was accelerating to pass someone the power to the engine cut out, the car was still running but no power, also the EML,BRAKE,Service Engine Soon and the Dynamic Stability Control symbols all came on in yellow light. So I pulled over to the side and turned the car off. I waited a few seconds turned it back on, this time the engine was revving on its own in a pulsing way and wanted to take off. So I turns it off again, waited a few minutes tryed again, rpm pulsing a little bit but not much so I drove off, I just went out and turned it on its seemed fine just had the service engine soon light on yellow, but when I revved it it got up to 2-3 RPMs and wouldn't rev anymore and all the lights the came on resinly came back on. What is going on? This car has less than 53000 kms on it. I baby it and its always clean. Any one know or have the same Problem? Plz help I really don't have the money right now to send it to BMW to tell me something I could find out from here. Thanx
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Geez, if the car's always clean, I don't see how all those warnings could come on like that...!

Okay, I'm pulling your leg. There are many reasons why the car could go in "limp mode" but it would be foolish for us to guess; you really need to put a diagnostic scanner on the car to see what devices have thrown the codes__they will still be in memory.

Based on the findings, clear the codes and see which ones are still present. Drive the car again (a day, a week, whatever) and pull the codes to see which have returned, assuming they could all be cleared the first round.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Thanx, what is limp mode exactly? and is it as bad as it sounds?I just call BMW and got an appointment to get it diagnosed, btw just an update , it's not revving over 1 RPM any more . I'm getting a flat bed to tow it to a dealer
Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 Z4 2.5i Silver/Black
Dude, don't tow crap yet....certainly not to the dealership. I got my car a year ago, it had 72k miles....car run great till I hit high rpms, like passing someone to get in front of them or when pulling into a street on an uphill.
I'm not diagnosing your car or saying I know what it is...just sharing the fact my car behaved the very same way, even to the very same lights and color on dashboard. It did the same thing and would not go past maybe 5 mph until i turned off and restarted. Funny thing is car would be fine until I reved it up a bit....hahahhaha
When I went to mechanic the guy wanted me to describe and I just offered to "trigger it" for him to demonstrate. I could make the car do it on command. I think it was 4200rpms, on any gear, at any speed.
Codes were P0302 Cylinder Number 2 Misfire Detected, P0171 Fuel System Too Lean (Cylinder Bank 1) and P0174 Fuel System Too Lean (Cylinder Bank 2) ...basically Indy mechanic diagnosed bad Throttle Body. $650 labor included. Car runs amazing now.

I don't know where you live and don't know what the Indy mechanics vs dealership situation is in your area, but will highly recommend you look for someone who knows BMWs and is NOT a dealership. Unless you have deep pockets and just want to pay extra for something someone else can diagnose and fix for way cheaper no matter what it ends up being.

Good luck my friend.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 AM

Wow that's like the exact same thing. Like to the tee, I was on an uphill also. The car is at the dealership now, but I haven't Signed anythjngyet for them to do anything I think I'll look up a place the does German cars but not dealer cuz ya I don't feel like paying 150 an hour for labour. Thanx for the replie, it gives me hope that it could be under 1000 dolor fix. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Turns out to be the throttle body after all. They said its going to run me 710 bucks with labour, thanx for all the input and help.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
The throttle body's are electronic. Try resetting it and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
Here's how to reset. I don't see how a throttle body can 'go bad' being on how it's metal. Maybe the throttle positioning sensor is bad? Or the body needs a good cleaning. But here's a link for ya http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195