Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Lenci1 Lenci1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 750I
Overheating

My 2006 750I overheated recently. I found a small crack in the expansion tank. I replaced the tank with a OEM unit. Placed BMW coolant back in and took a test drive. I got the overheating warning again and shut the engine down. The car only has 80,000 miles. Any ideas????? I also noticed the fan never kicked in. I checked my fuse panel located in the truck. There is a selection named "Cooling Box" in location #58 requiring a number 10 fuse. There is no fuse in the slot. Is this the location for the fan fuse? If so, I'll place a #10 fuse in it.
Thanks

Last edited by Lenci1; 09-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM
AUZREAL187 AUZREAL187 is offline
Auzreal750
Location: Canton,GA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: All of them
Air pocket?

Sent from my AT100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2012, 01:21 PM
AUZREAL187 AUZREAL187 is offline
Auzreal750
Location: Canton,GA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: All of them
CEL on? Stuck thermostat, bad fan etc?

Sent from my AT100 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Lenci1 Lenci1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 750I
overheating

I noticed that my fan never came on. Is there a fuse for the fan? I checked the fuse panel and there is a section called "cooling Box" that calls for a number 10 fuse. There is not fuse in the slot. Is this the location for the fan?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Lenci1 Lenci1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 750I
Overheating

What's the CEL?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Lenci1 Lenci1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 750I
Overheating

CEL = Check Engine Light. Got it!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2012, 04:28 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenci1 View Post
CEL = Check Engine Light. Got it!
Fan never kicks in???
It's no good! I doubt your fan is bad, but most likely you have wheep hole issue... Or some leak anywhere or air buble but less likely bc it's self bleeding system.
I bet 99% your lower hose is cold. That's why it never kicks in.
Don't drive it if you are not looking for a new engine
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Busarider Busarider is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 352
Mein Auto: 745LI
The "cooling box" fuse is for cars equipped with a fridge in the rear seat.

Fan not kicking in could be due to defective switch/ connector. Check the error codes at your local autozone and post back here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Lenci1 Lenci1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 750I
Whats a weep hole?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
AUZREAL187 AUZREAL187 is offline
Auzreal750
Location: Canton,GA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: All of them
weep hole at water pump. leaks colant when bad. common on these. look down at your water pump pulley, under it. if there is any green or white dust, gel, marks etc.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM
bayerisheteknik bayerisheteknik is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: naples,fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: ...
disconnect the fan,get a 12v source put positive on red cable negative on black or white cable and test if fan is working...look at connector it self sometimes there is so much amps going through it can burn the connector
at least you know if fan is kicking on and start troubleshooting from there
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
disconnect the fan,get a 12v source put positive on red cable negative on black or white cable and test if fan is working...look at connector it self sometimes there is so much amps going through it can burn the connector
at least you know if fan is kicking on and start troubleshooting from there
Don't do it of you don't wanna spend additional 600$ on the fan!! Fans don't die that easy

There is a very smart power board inside which is controlled by can bus.
Simply check lower hose when your engine is 105 C or when it's overheating. If its cold or barely warm it's your wheep hole. Also check if your heater works without aux waterpump.
Also disconnect lower hose sensor and your fan will kick in. Also there was a recall on those Valeo fans, check part number

Last edited by SFbay; 09-21-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM
bayerisheteknik bayerisheteknik is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: naples,fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Don't do it of you don't wanna spend additional 600$ on the fan!! Fans don't die that easy

There is a very smart power board inside which is controlled by can bus.
Simply check lower hose when your engine is 105 C or when it's overheating. If its cold or barely warm it's your wheep hole. Also check if your heater works without aux waterpump.
Also disconnect lower hose sensor and your fan will kick in. Also there was a recall on those Valeo fans, check part number
dont do what?? test the fan??? its nothing complicated,disconnecting the fan from connector and hooking 12v source to it to see if its working

this way he sees what condition the connector is in brother as high amps run through there it can be burnt out....

and yes fans do die easy after years...you can buy a new fan for 600 and it can be bad

Last edited by bayerisheteknik; 09-21-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
dont do what?? test the fan??? its nothing complicated,disconnecting the fan from connector and hooking 12v source to it to see if its working

this way he sees what condition the connector is in brother as high amps run through there it can be burnt out....

and yes fans do die easy after years...you can buy a new fan for 600 and it can be bad
It's barbarian method I doubt it will kick in if you connect +12 to ether wires red or white. Its not 3 speed redneck fan from 1970 Chevy
If you disconnect lower hose connector it will kick in automatically if fan is alive.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM
bayerisheteknik bayerisheteknik is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: naples,fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
It's barbarian method I doubt it will kick in if you connect +12 to ether wires red or white. Its not 3 speed redneck fan from 1970 Chevy
If you disconnect lower hose connector it will kick in automatically if fan is alive.
lol what does it matter if it was a 70's chevy fan?? its same principle

who said connecting only +12 source to any wire red or white will work???

even REDNECKS know that you have to connect + to red and - to white for fan to kick on

disconnecting the fan gives a chance to look at connector itself...doesn't it???
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
lol what does it matter if it was a 70's chevy fan?? its same principle

who said connecting only +12 source to any wire red or white will work???

even REDNECKS know that you have to connect + to red and - to white for fan to kick on

disconnecting the fan gives a chance to look at connector itself...doesn't it???
Did you try connecting +12 to a 3rd wire???
Well I don't wanna say that smbdy is a REDNECK here TRYING to advice smbdy to burn the fan logic, but the difference is huge!!! Yes checking the connector is always a good idea.
First of all usually redneck fan has just 2-3 simple coils which regulate the voltage and therefore induction values. Simple as pie
BMW fan is a masterpiece of high end electronics!!! It's like a computer inside that fan it's multispeed high precision fan. Speed is fully variable controlled by DME.
If you connect red and black to 12V it won't even start spinning but at least it won't kill the fan logic.
But if you connect +12v to white wire it will BURN the logic board instantly.
3rd wire is a dme wire it's not power line in other words.
This is what it looks like inside you see the difference and why it costs 600$ very simple, isn't it??

Last edited by SFbay; 09-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM
bayerisheteknik bayerisheteknik is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: naples,fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Did you try connecting +12 to a 3rd wire???
Well I don't wanna say that smbdy is a REDNECK here TRYING to advice smbdy to burn the fan logic, but the difference is huge!!! Yes checking the connector is always a good idea.
First of all usually redneck fan has just 2-3 simple coils which regulate the voltage and therefore induction values. Simple as pie
BMW fan is a masterpiece of high end electronics!!! It's like a computer inside that fan it's multispeed high precision fan. Speed is fully variable controlled by DME.
If you connect red and black to 12V it won't even start spinning but at least it won't kill the fan logic.
But if you connect +12v to white wire it will BURN the logic board instantly.
3rd wire is a dme wire it's not power line in other words.
This is what it looks like inside you see the difference and why it costs 600$ very simple, isn't it??
where were we???

oh so you connected 12+ wire to white wire didn't you??? were you trying to see what happens????i guess you have money to spend...lol

why is it a masterpiece ehh?? simple fan to me nothing special....and i have worked on lots of what one can call masterpieces...including mig29..su22...mi24...al39...mig21 doing avionics and electrical systems

600 is pretty cheap for such a masterpiece...

btw did Lenci1 figure out the problem with overheating??? since here we are on his thread

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
where were we???

oh so you connected 12+ wire to white wire didn't you??? were you trying to see what happens????i guess you have money to spend...lol

why is it a masterpiece ehh?? simple fan to me nothing special....and i have worked on lots of what one can call masterpieces...including mig29..su22...mi24...al39...mig21 doing avionics and electrical systems

600 is pretty cheap for such a masterpiece...

btw did Lenci1 figure out the problem with overheating??? since here we are on his thread

Ok, I don't understand why not to admit that you didn't even know how to test it, instead of offending me???
Okay:
Of course I didn't, but I know that design and trying to prevent one member from your smart advice.
So if you understand simple thing in electronics, why do you post such smart advices?? Question for you: Would you like to be the one who has to buy a new fan bc of such a smart advice??? The funniest part the fan won't even spin with your advice so you would buy a new one and still no luck, though a brand new would be fried again? Do you understand what you're recommending ppl here?
The pic has a link to M5 forum just in case. I'm not that stupid to test fans like you recommended. So keep on working on migs and stay away from bimmers
For the electric fan it's pretty complicated design and it's cheap bc they sell millions of them and there are not that many migs compared to bimmers.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
bayerisheteknik bayerisheteknik is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: naples,fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Ok, I don't understand why not to admit that you didn't even know how to test it, instead of offending me???
Okay:
Of course I didn't, but I know that design and trying to prevent one member from your smart advice.
So if you understand simple thing in electronics, why do you post such smart advices?? Question for you: Would you like to be the one who has to buy a new fan bc of such a smart advice??? The funniest part the fan won't even spin with your advice so you would buy a new one and still no luck, though a brand new would be fried again? Do you understand what you're recommending ppl here?
The pic has a link to M5 forum just in case. I'm not that stupid to test fans like you recommended. So keep on working on migs and stay away from bimmers
For the electric fan it's pretty complicated design and it's cheap bc they sell millions of them and there are not that many migs compared to bimmers.
...i have nothing to say but only one thing...YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS THAT GOOGLES EVERYTHING AND THEN COMES HERE AND PLAYS A SMART ASS..AM I RIGHT???
you are the one that started with rednecks this and rednecks that...the fan won't even spin???? i bet you 10000 cash right now that i will spin the fan with 12v source buddy and i don't care if to you the fxxxx fan looks complicated or a MASTERPIECE....
im not giving advice to nobody....i can't help that you can't use a common sense and get the simple fan running with 12v supply...so don't be telling me that i can't test a fan like that....you are trying the fan look so complicated....like BMW has the best fan in the world??? come on man
ill tell you what go do some more googling and than say something to me..telling me to stay away from bimmers??? LMAO instead of paying 6000 cash for a new tranny like i bet you would do ..i have fixed my tranny....completely disasemble and went through every wire..solenoid and EGS (to you its tranny control unit)..
what the hell do you know about me buddy????
its only complicated to you because here you are trying to feed your story that you read about somewhere on forum and are telling me to do this and do that...
every man on here has his own brain...so if i tell something to someone and you don't feel safe doing don't do it....
telling me bull**** story that i can't spin the fan on BMW because you smartass can't do it...
i can bypass any electrical system buddy...i have oscilloscopes...diagnostics tools that you only gooogle about bubba
so take your bull**** to someone else
telling me to stay away from bmw????!!!!! who the **** you think you are ignorant prick!!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
...i have nothing to say but only one thing...YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS THAT GOOGLES EVERYTHING AND THEN COMES HERE AND PLAYS A SMART ASS..AM I RIGHT???
you are the one that started with rednecks this and rednecks that...the fan won't even spin???? i bet you 10000 cash right now that i will spin the fan with 12v source buddy and i don't care if to you the fxxxx fan looks complicated or a MASTERPIECE....
im not giving advice to nobody....i can't help that you can't use a common sense and get the simple fan running with 12v supply...so don't be telling me that i can't test a fan like that....you are trying the fan look so complicated....like BMW has the best fan in the world??? come on man
ill tell you what go do some more googling and than say something to me..telling me to stay away from bimmers??? LMAO instead of paying 6000 cash for a new tranny like i bet you would do ..i have fixed my tranny....completely disasemble and went through every wire..solenoid and EGS (to you its tranny control unit)..
what the hell do you know about me buddy????
its only complicated to you because here you are trying to feed your story that you read about somewhere on forum and are telling me to do this and do that...
every man on here has his own brain...so if i tell something to someone and you don't feel safe doing don't do it....
telling me bull**** story that i can't spin the fan on BMW because you smartass can't do it...
i can bypass any electrical system buddy...i have oscilloscopes...diagnostics tools that you only gooogle about bubba
so take your bull**** to someone else
telling me to stay away from bmw????!!!!! who the **** you think you are ignorant prick!!!
Ok, whatever, connect +12v to white wire and show it to me spinning, and good luck with that
Btw: you won't find this info anywhere online.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM
bayerisheteknik bayerisheteknik is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: naples,fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Ok, whatever, connect +12v to white wire and show it to me spinning, and good luck with that
Btw: you won't find this info anywhere online.
thats how you live your live by """whatever"""???

you are not making any sense bubba....connect +12v to white wire???where do you come up with this stuff????

i will leave it ""as is"" or as you say ""whatever""

btw: what info??? you mean this info:

""BMW fan is a masterpiece of high end electronics!!! It's like a computer inside that fan""


Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
thats how you live your live by """whatever"""???

you are not making any sense bubba....connect +12v to white wire???where do you come up with this stuff????

i will leave it ""as is"" or as you say ""whatever""

btw: what info??? you mean this info:

""BMW fan is a masterpiece of high end electronics!!! It's like a computer inside that fan""


Dude, read your advices and then better not open your mouth, it just stinks, and you're totally wrong giving ppl wrong advices, which might lead to lots of issues.
Sometimes it's better not to open your mouth if you have nothing to say or you don't know what you're talking about.
Your fan will never kick in with black and red wire connected, but as you said try red or white +12 will lead to fan failure. Understood?? White wire is a DME control wire and your fan controller will die the same millisecond.
How about to make a video how you test your fan and post it here!??? Show me I'm wrong.
Scared??

Last edited by SFbay; 09-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM
bayerisheteknik bayerisheteknik is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: naples,fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 535
Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Dude, read your advices and then better not open your mouth, it just stinks, and you're totally wrong giving ppl wrong advices, which might lead to lots of issues.
Sometimes it's better not to open your mouth if you have nothing to say or you don't know what you're talking about.
Your fan will never kick in with black and red wire connected, but as you said try red or white +12 will lead to fan failure. Understood?? White wire is a DME control wire and your fan controller will die the same millisecond.
How about to make a video how you test your fan and post it here!??? Show me I'm wrong.
Scared??
WHERE ARE YOU???? maybe the air you are breathing is doing you no good, because all you are doing is talking out of your ass...

just keep on talking...ill make the video BUT question is what will you do Mr.Einstein if i prove you wrong???
will you go home and cry to mommie or will you never sign in into this forum???

btw how long did it take you to goooooogle word""millisecond"""???

you are impressing us brother

i am shaking and scared....can i go now???

Last edited by bayerisheteknik; 09-21-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
SFbay SFbay is offline
Account Under Review
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 893
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
WHERE ARE YOU???? maybe the air you are breathing is doing you no good, because all you are doing is talking out of your ass...

just keep on talking...ill make the video BUT question is what will you do Mr.Einstein if i prove you wrong???
will you go home and cry to mommie or will you never sign in into this forum???

btw how long did it take you to goooooogle word""millisecond"""???

you are impressing us brother

i am shaking and scared....can i go now???
Sure, make a video, be a man
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM
AUZREAL187 AUZREAL187 is offline
Auzreal750
Location: Canton,GA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: All of them
this is the best thread ever!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms