Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Official iPhone 5 F30 Integration Thread

iPhone 5 BMW F30 3 series integration

For the last week we've been testing our iPhone 5 with the Bimmerfest project 328i F30 3 series. We're pleased to report that everything is working as it should. Before jumping into our iPhone 5 testing we spent time with our iPhone 4 and the newly released iOS 6 (read article). With the faster speed of the A6 processor in the new phone pairing it to the F30 with Bluetooth or the USB cable for BMW ConnectedDrive seems a bit faster.

BMW snap-in Adapter

The big disappointment with the iPhone 5 in the F30 is the incompatible snap in adapter. The iPhone 5 is about half an inch longer then the 4/4S and uses the new Apple "lighting" connector. As you can see there is no way the old snap in adapter would work, even with an Lighting connection adapter. BMW has been quite about when we will see an iPhone 5 compatible snap in adapter. Tear downs of the Lighting cable show that Apple has embedded an authentication chip in the connector so BMW is probably in the process of licensing the technology from Apple.

BMW ConnectedDrive with the Apple iPhone 5

Overall the new features of the iPhone 5, which come from iOS6, are a great addition. Having the car read you text messages or emails is a neat feature. The integration is still a little clunky but it is much safer then using your phone while driving. I have a feeling there will be an upgrade for the car software from BMW in the next few months that will make the integration better as they continue to test with the iPhone 5.

Stay tuned for more iPhone 5 testing and updates for the BMW F30 3 series.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is BMW's statement on iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Compatibility?
BMW says "It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed."

When will BMW release the iPhone 5 Snap In Adapter?
BMW has not committed to a specific date yet but has been busy testing iOS 6. BMW tends to move slowly on this type of thing so do not expect it anytime soon. I'm thinking spring of 2014

If you're running iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 or 4S add to our iOS6 topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-F30-328i-iDrive-iPhone-5-Integration-1.jpg
Views:	23372
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	344346   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-F30-328i-iDrive-iPhone-5-Integration-2.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	344347   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-F30-328i-iDrive-iPhone-5-Integration-3.jpg
Views:	2876
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	344348   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-F30-328i-iDrive-iPhone-5-Integration-4.jpg
Views:	20662
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	344349   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-F30-328i-iDrive-iPhone-5-Integration-5.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	344350  

Last edited by tim330i; 10-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
FYI: iPhone 5 works perfectly with BMW Apps. The biggest improvement that I could see was the inclusion of LTE... connecting to a BMW Apps Web Radio station is so fast now compared with the 4S 3G that it is not even funny.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Got my iPhone 5 today also but have not had time yet to set it up in my BMW. I can't wait for LTE to come to AT&T in Denver, they announced it will be here before the end of 2012, which is a good thing because I was close to dumping their sorry asses and going to Verizon.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
I cannot get my iPhone 5 to work with apps. BT works fine.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I cannot get my iPhone 5 to work with apps. BT works fine.
Delete and reinstall BMW Connected from the App Store, see if a clean install does the trick.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

I set mine up in the car and so far everything is working fine. Have not played with apps yet, but the iPod out, BT integration, etc, seems to be working fine.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I set mine up in the car and so far everything is working fine. Have not played with apps yet, but the iPod out, BT integration, etc, seems to be working fine.
iPod Out cannot work with your iPhone 5 as you don't have a snap-in adapter.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

I mean music playback with album artwork and controls. Not "true" ipod out which obviously won't work till a new cradle becomes available sometime in the next year or so.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Does anything about the phone itself seem new, different, or better??
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
IMO, the addition of LTE and a much faster processor speeds downloading/uploading data quite substantially over the 4S. The bigger screen, better camera, and better power management (by streamlining circuitry inside, i.e. new Lightning connector) are great to have but not as radical improvements over the 4S as the LTE inclusion.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It's ridiculously fast compared to the iPhone 4 that most of us are upgrading from.

It's noticeably thinner and lighter. Bigger screen helps, its not a hinderance. I'm very happy with it.

BJ

Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Not only is the screen better but it is higher DPI so it's even sharper than the already excellent screen on the 4/4S. The new screen is also better contrast and color accuracy. It's much much faster... incredibly thin and light. All around far better and worth the upgrade if you are not under contract.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Not only is the screen better but it is higher DPI so it's even sharper than the already excellent screen on the 4/4S. The new screen is also better contrast and color accuracy. It's much much faster... incredibly thin and light. All around far better and worth the upgrade if you are not under contract.
I preordered mine under contract and unfortunately where I live only have 4G, no LTE yet. But my 3gs was on its last legs but I could deal with it. I didn't really need to upgrade but my wife did big time. Her 3G should have been disposed of ages ago and she's been toughing it out with a dying device for over a year.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

My wife had the 3GS and the iPhone 5 is a massive upgrade from that phone. Less so from a 4 or 4S but still worthy to do so.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Got Mine Too Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It's ridiculously fast compared to the iPhone 4 that most of us are upgrading from.

It's noticeably thinner and lighter. Bigger screen helps, its not a hinderance. I'm very happy with it.

BJ
Hey BJ and VOIP, got mine last night, as I pre-ordered a week ago. Had to pick it up at FEDEX as I was not home when it was origninally delivered. I immediafely called a friend to start to set it up, then finished at the Verizon in San Diego about 10 minutes from my House. I am coming from a Blackberry Storm 2, which I grew to hate and Detest. It must have froze on Me Daily. Very Embarrasing when using the VZ Navigator with your Sales Manager and he is sitting with his 4 IPhone. I have no prior experience, and I am thrilled. My wife has a 4s , which she got a year ago. It is so user friendly, I am having a ball just setting up Itunes and the App Store. Have not worked it with our BMW , as we have not had our PCD yet. Soon, Soon , Soon Cant wait to use it on our cross country adventure back to San Diego from Spartanburg So , how has it been integrating with your new Babies? Any tips or advice when we set up our Iphone 5 , and my wifes 4s ? Thanks in advance. I am so glad to join the Apple Family !!!! I will soon have a company provided IPAD, so its double the pleasure Soon. Enjoy the rest of your weekends. I am off to see My SD Chargers vs Atlanta Sunday. Season Ticket Holder
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
You had the iPhone 4 till yesterday??? I think most of us are upgrading from iPhone 4S

Old 09-23-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i2013 View Post
You had the iPhone 4 till yesterday??? I think most of us are upgrading from iPhone 4S
Most are on a two-year contract cycle with their carrier, so the upgrade pattern looks like this:

Cycle A: iPhone 3G > 4 > 5

Cycle B: iPhone 3GS > 4S > 5S

It's how it works with AT&T and Verizon in the US. So Apple does a major release every 2 years and a minor release every 1 year, so no matter which of the every-two-years cycle customers are on they always have something new from Apple. I'm an early adopter so I'm on the first cycle, my wife's on the second. My iPhone 5 is fully discounted as my 2 year contract is up, my wife's isn't up for another year.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 09-23-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post

Hey BJ and VOIP, got mine last night, as I pre-ordered a week ago. Had to pick it up at FEDEX as I was not home when it was origninally delivered. I immediafely called a friend to start to set it up, then finished at the Verizon in San Diego about 10 minutes from my House. I am coming from a Blackberry Storm 2, which I grew to hate and Detest. It must have froze on Me Daily. Very Embarrasing when using the VZ Navigator with your Sales Manager and he is sitting with his 4 IPhone. I have no prior experience, and I am thrilled. My wife has a 4s , which she got a year ago. It is so user friendly, I am having a ball just setting up Itunes and the App Store:thumbup Have not worked it with our BMW , as we have not had our PCD yet. Soon, Soon , Soon Cant wait to use it on our cross country adventure back to San Diego from Spartanburg So , how has it been integrating with your new Babies? Any tips or advice when we set up our Iphone 5 , and my wifes 4s ? Thanks in advance. I am so glad to join the Apple Family !!!! I will soon have a company provided IPAD, so its double the pleasure Soon. Enjoy the rest of your weekends.

I am off to see My SD Chargers vs Atlanta Sunday. Season Ticket Holder
Congrats on the iPhone, works flawlessly with the F30, no worries.

I'm not rooting for an AFC win against the NFC, wildcard implications, sorry.

BJ

Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Most are on a two-year contract cycle with their carrier, so the upgrade pattern looks like this:

Cycle A: iPhone 3G > 4 > 5

Cycle B: iPhone 3GS > 4S > 5S

It's how it works with AT&T and Verizon in the US. So Apple does a major release every 2 years and a minor release every 1 year, so no matter which of the every-two-years cycle customers are on they always have something new from Apple. I'm an early adopter so I'm on the first cycle, my wife's on the second. My iPhone 5 is fully discounted as my 2 year contract is up, my wife's isn't up for another year.

BJ
You are funny, drive 50K cars but don't upgrade every year cuz that would cost $250 more? Ha. I've had all 6 iPhones.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You are funny, drive 50K cars but don't upgrade every year cuz that would cost $250 more? Ha. I've had all 6 iPhones.
Siri and a better camera weren't enough reason to upgrade to the 4S. Not about the money, about the features.

BJ

Old 09-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered Drooler

Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
iOS6 moved all podcasts to the Podcast app and out of the music app. How do i get to podcasts now in iDrrive? I haven't tried it yet, has anyone? I don't have BMW apps integration.

-mike
Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Siri and a better camera weren't enough reason to upgrade to the 4S. Not about the money, about the features.

BJ
Biggest BS I've heard from your BJ. If Siri, better camera and faster speed wasn't good enough for you, larger screen and even faster speed shouldn't be incentive either.

But what about your prestige?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
iOS6 moved all podcasts to the Podcast app and out of the music app. How do i get to podcasts now in iDrrive? I haven't tried it yet, has anyone? I don't have BMW apps integration.

-mike
Try this:

Go into iTunes and create a new Smart Playlist and set the rule to "type equals Podcast". Then sync that Playlist to your iOS device and see if you can get to it via the iDrive playlists menu.

Podcasts are just another type of mp4 file, should be easy to get to in this manner.

BJ

Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Biggest BS I've heard from your BJ. If Siri, better camera and faster speed wasn't good enough for you, larger screen and even faster speed shouldn't be incentive either.

But what about your prestige?
Apple came out with tweener products with questionable enhancements in the iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and iPhone 4S. They did not interest me enough to get me to upgrade early.

BJ

Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 7 series
Quote:
Instead of thinking he's funny and instead of upgrading your phone why not upgrade your car to a 5 or 7 series?