Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
New member, First question

I am about to upgrade my suspension on my '97 Z-3 2.8 with Bilstein Sport Struts and Shocks, including Rogue rear shock mounts and Powerflex control arm bushings. My question is do I need to add camber adjusters on the rear if I'm only lowering by @1.5 inches?
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Welcome
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Historically, the Z3 versions, as opposed to the ///M versions, already have a boat-load of negative camber in the rear. If you can stand behind your car now and see the wheels visually tipped in at the top, lowering it will only amplify this.

It sounds like you already have your mind made up (so I won't try to talk you out of using plastic bushes for the trailing arms...) but if you're looking to lower it by 1-1/2", I definitely recommend that you use the Ireland toe & camber kits, with the camber set biased towards reducing excessive negative camber.

Forget tire life, which would be dismal, but without the entire surface of the rear tires in contact with the pavement, you're going to have less grip, not more.

If you're only going for looks, and handling and tread life is not a concern, please disregard.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
Randy,
This is the exact information I was looking for. My z does tip in at the top now, and I don't like that, so you are saying it will be even more pronounced with the lowering. I will definitely add the camber kit to my project. Thanks for the advice and taking the time to give it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
And if your taking the subframe out for all that..time to the Subframe bushings at the same time. I'll also say OEM for RCAB's rather than powerflex

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix