Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertronic View Post
One can only guess at the life span of this forum. I, for one, will be here for a while. At the introduction of the e90 what length of time passed before the e46 forum became stagnant?

And when the jump to driving the f30 comes I will gladly move forums however much I enjoy this one.

Can I state one gripe...... Who is utterly fatigued by the number of angel eye and headlight posts/questions?
I never go on the E46 forum but I just checked it out and there are a lot of recent posts and a large number from today,

At this point the E92 and the E93 are current models,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-02-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertronic View Post
One can only guess at the life span of this forum. I, for one, will be here for a while. At the introduction of the e90 what length of time passed before the e46 forum became stagnant?

And when the jump to driving the f30 comes I will gladly move forums however much I enjoy this one.

Can I state one gripe...... Who is utterly fatigued by the number of angel eye and headlight posts/questions?
Add RFT vs. non-RFT's and I'm there with you.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
The forum motto for 2008-2011:

"Bimmerfest E9X: Come for oil changes and stay for the snow tires"
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertronic
Who is utterly fatigued by the number of angel eye and headlight posts/questions?
Add RFT vs. non-RFT's and I'm there with you.
I read on the internetz that the LCI angle eyes improve handling so I want to replace my ugly yellow RFTs with the new xenon RFTs. My dealer refused saying it would void my warranty. Can I sew?

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
The forum motto for 2008-2011:

"Bimmerfest E9X: Come for oil changes and stay for the snow tires"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
I read on the internetz that the LCI angle eyes improve handling so I want to replace my ugly yellow RFTs with the new xenon RFTs. My dealer refused saying it would void my warranty. Can I sew?

What is a little odd is the absence of snowflake threads.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by astirling View Post
Haha. Then I suggest you don't buy one.
I didn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
I think you've summed up half the threads for the past two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post

It's early, though it did snow on Mt. Washington yesterday. I'll bet there's a snowflake post within two weeks.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Good points CA, but I disagree in regard to the EPS (electric power steering). I can only think of one good reason for its existance and that is it might result in a few tenths more mpg. So doing adds to the cost, greatly increases the complexity, and completely separates the driver from the road. I am unable to imagine how some feedback gimmickry can recreate that connection.
For those who don't know, EPS used to use an electric powered power steering pump. The mechanical and hydraulic systems were otherwise the same as they've been for 50 years. In fact, total failure of the EPS system would still result in a steerable car.
Not any more. Now there is no steel connecting the driver with the wheels. The steering wheel is now a big...sensor. It senses which way you've turned it, how far and how fast. It sends this information to another of many computers (yes, there's one just for steering now!) where the computer looks at vehicle speed, direction, and stability data from the DSC computer and the computer decides how far to turn your steering rack via the stepper motor now replacing the input shaft on the steering box! Failure of this system will result in an unsteerable car. Of course, many redundant systems will ensure that there is never a failure...
Herr Machina, I'm kinda bustin' your balls in this thread. Sorry about that.

This didn't sound right to me so I finally got around to double checking. The ZF system BMW is using is in fact mechanical with electric power assist. There is a direct mechanical connection to the steering rack and if power to the assist unit failed the car would be still be steerable, just as with a hydraulic unit that experienced a power failure.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Herr Machina, I'm kinda bustin' your balls in this thread. Sorry about that.

This didn't sound right to me so I finally got around to double checking. The ZF system BMW is using is in fact mehanical with electric power assist. There is a direct mechanical connection to the steering rack and if power to the assist unit failed the car would be still be steerable, just as with a hydraulic unit that experienced a power failure.
I mixed up my apples and oranges. There are true 'drive by wire' systems, but none on cars, yet. The technology is transitioning just like 'throttle by wire' did. At first there was a backup cable, later the cable was eliminated. Thanks for pointing out the correct design.

But while we're back on the subject...The latest Car and Driver pitted the 3'er v. the Cadi ATS. The 3'er really took it on the chin when it came to handling, and a big part of that was poor steering feel and response. Talk about getting hit where it hurts. Apparently the ATS still steers the old fashioned way, and that doesn't include an electric motor hung off the side of the rack.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
I mixed up my apples and oranges. There are true 'drive by wire' systems, but none on cars, yet. The technology is transitioning just like 'throttle by wire' did. At first there was a backup cable, later the cable was eliminated. Thanks for pointing out the correct design.

But while we're back on the subject...The latest Car and Driver pitted the 3'er v. the Cadi ATS. The 3'er really took it on the chin when it came to handling, and a big part of that was poor steering feel and response. Talk about getting hit where it hurts. Apparently the ATS still steers the old fashioned way, and that doesn't include an electric motor hung off the side of the rack.

You should quit while you're behind - the ATS uses the same EPS that the 3 series uses, just tuned differently.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:

These usually start in New England and it has not been cold enough in the morning yet.

Wait a month...early November...followed by the 10th annual "snow tires/all-season/summer tires" in winter debate. I am looking foward to this one, it should be a good one with a bunch of noobs picking up ex-lease 328s this summer!
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
You should quit while you're behind - the ATS uses the same EPS that the 3 series uses, just tuned differently.
I quit!
Car and Driver did damn the Cadi with faint praise. It said the steering feel wasn't as bad as the BMW's. Ouch.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I quit!
Car and Driver did damn the Cadi with faint praise. It said the steering feel wasn't as bad as the BMW's. Ouch.
You can't even trust that. I've driven it. It's worse. The 3er doesn't really bother me. Of course, I have active steering. To me when you put the F30 3er in Sport mode the steering feels pretty much like my active steering.

I think all this steering hullabaloo is way overblown. The steering is still mechanical. The main difference is the amount if heft and that changes when you change to Sport. BMW over-boosted the steering at the beginning of the 2001 model year and got a lot of complaints. So many that they changed it halfway through the model year and offered an update to earlier buyers. However, the unconfirmed word is they didn't change it all the way back to what it had been previously. I went straight from a 2000 328i to 2004 330i and I couldn't perceive any difference. It took me about three days to adjust to my current active steering feel and since then I don't even notice it. I barely notice a difference when I drive an E9x with regular steering.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 10-03-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I wonder if stiffer control arm bushings would improve steering feel on F30? That made a big difference on my E36.

There's definitely less feel in my E46 than the E36, this has been a general trend in pretty much all cars, even Porsche.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You can't even trust that. I've driven it. It's worse. The 3er doesn't really bother me. Of course, I have active steering. To me when you put the F30 3er in Sport mode the steering feels pretty much like my active steering.

I think all this steering hullabaloo is way overblown. The steering is still mechanical. The main difference is the amount if heft and that changes when you change to Sport. BMW over-boosted the steering at the beginning of the 2001 model year and got a lot of complaints. So many that they changed it halfway through the model year and offered an update to earlier buyers. However, the unconfirmed word is they didn't change it all the way back to what it had been previously. I went straight from a 2000 328i to 2004 330i and I couldn't perceive any difference. It took me about three days to adjust to my current active steering feel and since then I don't even notice it. I barely notice a difference when I drive an E9x with regular steering.
For around town and most highway driving there probably is no perceptable difference for the average driver between EPS and hydraulic. I think where the differences are amplified is on the track, or near the limit of spirited road driving.
My guess is that more than 98% of all BMW buyers never reach the point where they purposefully push the car to a point where steering feedback is critically important to making a turn. Most of us in this forum occasionally fall into the other 2% category.
Like the magazine test drivers we want to 'see what she'll do' and that's when these niggling things like muted steering tend to be the things we talk about.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM
BMW M3 ZCP

Send a message via Skype™ to razor2430
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 ZCP
2012 F30 328I Sport Line

Well I don't post much on the forums but had to chime in on the current F30 328I.

We purchased one back in March which was plagued with problem mostly air leaking from the front doors sounds like a window is cracked plus other problems that I wont go in to we would be her all night. Long story short BMW did a buy back on it and we got a 2013 E92 335IS as a stable mate for my 2011 E92 M3.

IMO junk compared to the E9X cars interior quality sucks the car felt cheap the 335IS is night and day over the F30 cars. If this is what BMW is going to for the next gen car then the ones we have will be our last BMW's. We will become Mercedes customers and that will be too bad because really enjoy driving the M3 and the IS.

2011 BMW M3 ZCP Package Spice Gray.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed how the Cadillac ATS and XTS have "borrowed" the ugly orange front fender reflectors (E92/E93) style from BMW? I noticed this today as a Cadi driver courteously let me braid into traffic in front of her. What I find amusing is as fast as Cadillac is adding them as part of their newest design we are doing everything we can to eliminate them.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
You've resurrected the "sew" word...WHO first started this?

I'm currently trying to find "angel eyes" for my '58 Isetta...Orient has been very helpful, not to mention his contribution to my request if E21 wheels will fit on it.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed how the Cadillac ATS and XTS have "borrowed" the ugly orange front fender reflectors (E92/E93) style from BMW? I noticed this today as a Cadi driver courteously let me braid into traffic in front of her. What I find amusing is as fast as Cadillac is adding them as part of their newest design we are doing everything we can to eliminate them.
I was blinded today by an odd sun reflection off of a Caddy hood/grille ornament...I may have received permanent sight damage. Currently consulting with my attorney.

My attorney says that I may get damages for "distasteful" and harmful "displays."
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
My Porsche has them too. I'm under the impression that it's the law dictating the color of the fender reflectors?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
"Senior" Caddy drivers need every reflector possible to indicate that they're coming. I'm surprised that NHTSA hasn't teamed up with the FAA to require "blinking red lights" on Caddy roofs to indicate "danger" proximity warnings.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

What the reflectors look like on a new BMW. Many F30 enthusiasts purchase what are called "painted" reflectors to replace the orange ones. They fill the hole and make the car look more original, like it's European cousins.

Many new technological innovations like this have occurred since 2005.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-03-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

What the reflectors look like on a new BMW. Many F30 enthusiasts purchase what are called "painted" reflectors to replace the orange ones. They fill the hole and make the car look more original, like it's European cousins.

Many new technological innovations like this have occurred since 2005.

BJ
Ahem,

F30 enthusiasts are not innovators. Some of us old school E9X folks put this in play years ago.

My comment was more to the observation that Cadillac is implemementing design elements on their current model that were introduced in 2007 by BMW. You are very correct in that your reflectors which you dutifully deleted are different. I applaud your decision to delete them in respect to better esthetics and a nod to the better sensibilities of our European brethren.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
For around town and most highway driving there probably is no perceptable difference for the average driver between EPS and hydraulic. I think where the differences are amplified is on the track, or near the limit of spirited road driving.
My guess is that more than 98% of all BMW buyers never reach the point where they purposefully push the car to a point where steering feedback is critically important to making a turn. Most of us in this forum occasionally fall into the other 2% category.
Like the magazine test drivers we want to 'see what she'll do' and that's when these niggling things like muted steering tend to be the things we talk about.

I am not an aggressive driver and I don't track my car. But, the steering is dead from 10:00 to 2:00, and it feels over light and numb. I hate it.

Overall, I think most aspects of the F30 are a step up, but the steering a real bummer.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 320D Sport Plus Coupe
Quote:
Ahem,

F30 enthusiasts are not innovators. Some of us old school E9X folks put this in play years ago.

My comment was more to the observation that Cadillac is implemementing design elements on their current model that were introduced in 2007 by BMW. You are very correct in that your reflectors which you dutifully deleted are different. I applaud your decision to delete them in respect to better esthetics and a nod to the better sensibilities of our European brethren.
What in gods name is that orange thing?!!!