Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Me either. While I'm not a big fan of the headlight assembly growing into the kidney grills, it's not THAT big of a deal. I've seen quite a few F30s now. To be honest, even with the one that almost ran over me as I was walking across a professional building driveway, I had to look twice to determine it was an F30 not an E90. Pulling along side one in traffic, the most telling demarcation is to look at the dash for the Nav screen.
Kat, just fyi for ease of identification, the most telling exterior change is the lack of turn signal repeater lights on the fenders. They are now on the mirrors.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Zooks, the rule is that if an abbreviation begins with a consonant, which sounds as if it were spelled beginning with a vowel, then use 'an'. So the Cap'n got it right.
Examples
A CIA team was recalled from Libya.
An FBI team was sent to Libya. (The pronunciation of 'f' is 'eff'.)
Got it?
Oh, I knew the rule beforehand, and didn't mean to imply that he got it wrong.

Rather, I was just saying that when I read an abbreviation, I "hear" the words in place of the letters leading me to perceive the "a/an" rule as irrelevant - it just doesn't sound right (although it is grammatically correct) and it knocks me that last bit off of level right into full tilt.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 09-26-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
sounds like you need to touch up on your grammar.

chris
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I don't understand why some people think the F30 is ugly.

Frankly I never considered any current or recent BMW (including the two I own) to be particularly beautiful but I would not describe any of the current sedans as ugly.
Generic and somewhat ordinary perhaps but definitely not ugly,

CA
I love the styling on all of the versions of the e90 and think the F30 is beautiful as well. There are so many on yet he road though that they do start to look meh.

I like the uniqueness of my E91 but some days it looks a little ungainly.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I love the styling on all of the versions of the e90 and think the F30 is beautiful as well. There are so many on yet he road though that they do start to look meh.

I like the uniqueness of my E91 but some days it looks a little ungainly.
Nothing ungainly about it - I rarely see them but when I do see one, it gets my attention - E91s are cool.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
There are a few quirky things I have trouble with, or at least my eye has trouble with. The single buttress from the console up to the dash is an unusual styling element. The 'drop-off'.

None of these unusual elements would result in me not buying one if I were in the market. I'm just nitpicking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
It may also look off to me because there are at least three colors in a relatively small cabin area and it looks too busy (judging from BJs pictures). Maybe it would look better to me if it were a black interior?

Video of an all-black interior in action, less busy.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 09-26-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BJ
Hmmm, it does look a lot better in the video. On the other hand the exhaust sounded exceptionally good so I may have been distracted.
Looks like they were test driving in your part of Jersey, without the geese sh*tting all over the lawns.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:

BJ
The black interior with the dark trim appears more integrated. The dash and center console, which feature unusual shaped forms, now offers a more stylish up dated look without being jarring. I hope I can eventually accommodate myself to the up right stand alone Nav screen, which I find to be disconcerting, since this element will surely be in the new M4.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:

BJ
I like the way the director decided to do the "launch" scene in slow motion.

Also available in Alpine White...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:

BJ
I like the black interior much better, in spite of the swooping thing going on - on the passenger side of the dash. Is that the 4 banger engine? From the outside it sounded like a diesel, but it sounded very good from the inside. It also sounded like it loves to rev to higher RPMs.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
The black interior with the dark trim appears more integrated. The dash and center console, which feature unusual shaped forms, now offers a more stylish up dated look without being jarring. I hope I can eventually accommodate myself to the up right stand alone Nav screen, which I find to be disconcerting, since this element will surely be in the new M4.
You'll love the Nav screen very quickly, trust me. Forget what it looks like in the photos. As you drive (all that matters) it has no bulky shroud around it so it feels less intrusive, you can see the road better 'through' it as a result.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I like the black interior much better, in spite of the swooping thing going on - on the passenger side of the dash. Is that the 4 banger engine? From the outside it sounded like a diesel, but it sounded very good from the inside. It also sounded like it loves to rev to higher RPMs.
We don't refer to it as a 4-banger or anything related to cylinders. We call it "the engine".

The diesel sound is like a good debadge; our opponents don't know what they're in for.

BJ

Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
You'll love the Nav screen very quickly, trust me. Forget what it looks like in the photos. As you drive (all that matters) it has no bulky shroud around it so it feels less intrusive, you can see the road better 'through' it as a result.

BJ
When you feel passionate about a thing - you see pass the little foibles. As much as I love my E92 M3, I have always had a wandering eye - come time for a new M in a couple of years - I'll probably be so excited by the prospect that I will view the upright Nav as brilliant engineering. It's all about the heart and not the head.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Nothing ungainly about it - I rarely see them but when I do see one, it gets my attention - E91s are cool.
Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But, every once in a while I notice some clumsy lines.

I freakin love it to death though.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But, every once in a while I notice some clumsy lines.

I freakin love it to death though.

Resistance is futile.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 09-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
We don't refer to it as a 4-banger or anything related to cylinders. We call it "the engine".

The diesel sound is like a good debadge; our opponents don't know what they're in for.

BJ
Right, but you're just into how it looks and how others bear witness!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:

Resistance is futile.

BJ
Beautiful car, but if I want that kind of steering, I'll just fire up my playstation.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Bolt, I'm surprised no one has indignantly mentioned your "///L" yet.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Bolt, I'm surprised no one has indignantly mentioned your "///L" yet.

I know, and I worked so hard on it too. Those faux-chrome shadows are a b-tch.

Now that we live in a world where BMW isn't pretending anymore, where the 3 Series is an honest car, a luxurious status-symbol for the yuppie crowd without pretending to be a sportscar, with chrome "Luxury" fender badges gleaming in most parts of the world, having an ///L328i isn't that controversial anymore.

BJ

Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Beautiful car, but if I want that kind of steering, I'll just fire up my playstation.
Yeah, you say that now but it's inevitable.

You wake up one day, the streets are full of brand new F31's, you're another year older, the phony street-cred you get from discussion forums fades away, and you realize that you just don't want to drive an old car because some pretend "sports enthusiasts" have brainwashed you into thinking that "steering feel" matters when you're in 20 MPH zones hauling the kibble from PetSmart.

That's how the story ends, you know it and I know it, so cut to the chase and experience the thrill of having the first car of its kind for a year. It'll get your blood flowing a lot more than, wait for it, hitting a 20 MPH curve at 30 MPH in an old car to make yourself feel like an Andretti. You can afford a new BMW. Go get one.

BJ

Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Yeah, you say that now but it's inevitable.

You wake up one day, the streets are full of brand new F31's, you're another year older, the phony street-cred you get from discussion forums fades away, and you realize that you just don't want to drive an old car because some pretend "sports enthusiasts" have brainwashed you into thinking that "steering feel" matters when you're in 20 MPH zones hauling the kibble from PetSmart.

That's how the story ends, you know it and I know it, so cut to the chase and experience the thrill of having the first car of its kind for a year. It'll get your blood flowing a lot more than, wait for it, hitting a 20 MPH curve at 30 MPH in an old car to make yourself feel like an Andretti. You can afford a new BMW. Go get one.

BJ
I am a single man who drives a station wagon. How important do you think street cred is to me?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
When you feel passionate about a thing - you see pass the little foibles. As much as I love my E92 M3, I have always had a wandering eye - come time for a new M in a couple of years - I'll probably be so excited by the prospect that I will view the upright Nav as brilliant engineering. It's all about the heart and not the head.
Agreed. Once my E92 M is after a couple of years, and I've owned the last of an era(Sad) I'm sure I'll love what's next. That own't be for awhile though! I plan on enjoying every minute I can with that V8.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Give me a break......The only place "street cred" is important to anyone is in my grandsons high school parking lot. That being said I like the new series & will wait to see what the new M3/4 coupe looks like before I buy one. On the interior the one thing I don't like is the nav screen sticking up out of the dash. Have that in my X3 & think its a poor design compared to the built in one in my 335is.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Give me a break......The only place "street cred" is important to anyone is in my grandsons high school parking lot. That being said I like the new series & will wait to see what the new M3/4 coupe looks like before I buy one. On the interior the one thing I don't like is the nav screen sticking up out of the dash. Have that in my X3 & think its a poor design compared to the built in one in my 335is.
I agree. If BMW thought it was such a great or useful design, then when did they not place the GPS screen on top of the dash like an afterthought in the new 5, 6, ot 7 Series models? Aside from looking cheap, I would think the glare would be a problem with this location?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
I agree. If BMW thought it was such a great or useful design, then when did they not place the GPS screen on top of the dash like an afterthought in the new 5, 6, ot 7 Series models? Aside from looking cheap, I would think the glare would be a problem with this location?
BMW uses an anti-reflective screen, so glare shouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.