Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I am a single man who drives a station wagon. How important do you think street cred is to me?
Got a chuckle out of that, KT.
At one time I owned 4 wagons in a row, 3 Volvos and the last one an '86 Sable, the first year of the model. But I was married with 3 kids. They pre-dated minivans and were a neccessity for a small family which travelled a lot.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Bolt, I'm surprised no one has indignantly mentioned your "///L" yet.
hmmm....got my attention....

In a word - provocative - some would say joining the iconic M colors at the hip with the L (new luxury BMW branding) is sacrilegious. I disagree. I had an epiphany during our "spirited" exchange earlier in this thread. We all realize BMW is a Big Tent and must constantly discover clever ways to expand the tent. BMWs financial viability necessitates selling as many 3 series variants as possible especially profit laden 328iLs. Sales of the 328iL are most certainly helping to underwrite the development of Ms. In turn 328i sales are enhanced by basking in the glow provided by M, and further augmented by the iconic mantra - the Ultimate Driving Machine - legitimized by M.

In short - no 328iL - no 3/4M. Although the 328iL is not my thing, it is necessary. Even though some may view BJs artfully executed logo as an act of presumptuous provocation I see it as an inconvenient but necessary truth. Besides who says you have to drive an M to take pride in M or BMW. We are a diverse lot here joined by our passion for the BMW brand no harm done flying the flag.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
jertronic

Mein Auto: 2008 328 xi sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
BMW uses an anti-reflective screen, so glare shouldn't be an issue.
I hope that polarized sunglasses do not render the screen un-readable at certain angles. The 2 inch screen on my non-nav e90 head unit gives me fits while wearing sunglasses.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post

In a word - provocative - some would say joining the iconic M colors at the hip with the L (new luxury BMW branding) is sacrilegious. I disagree. I had an epiphany during our "spirited" exchange earlier in this thread. We all realize BMW is a Big Tent and must constantly discover clever ways to expand the tent. BMWs financial viability necessitates selling as many 3 series variants as possible especially profit laden 328iLs. Sales of the 328iL are most certainly helping to underwrite the development of Ms. In turn 328i sales are enhanced by basking in the glow provided by M, and further augmented by the iconic mantra - the Ultimate Driving Machine - legitimized by M.

In short - no 328iL - no 3/4M. Although the 328iL is not my thing, it is necessary. Even though some may view BJs artfully executed logo as an act of presumptuous provocation I see it as an inconvenient but necessary truth. Besides who says you have to drive an M to take pride in M or BMW. We are a diverse lot here joined by our passion for the BMW brand no harm done flying the flag.
LOL, a convert! Chalk another one up to the Beej and the power of persuasion.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Bolt, I'm surprised no one has indignantly mentioned your "///L" yet.
I figured the concept of maniplating BMW logos with photoshop was "played" and ignored it out of respect to the deceased. It is older than the goats, and they died a while back.

Like Arnold Palmer playing golf, one hopes for a bit of the old magic, but the more you watch the more you realize his best work is behind him and you are left with memories of better times.

It is unfortunate that a new chassis designation doesn't bring new material...

Also available in Alpine White...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 PM
BMW Platinum Visa Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post

I knew we were going to like each other. Just took a little time.

In my attempts at humor on BF since 2006, I've been very right. So along with my 428i and M328i, I'm certain that someday there will be the ///L division making L318i,s too.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM
BMW Platinum Visa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertronic View Post
I hope that polarized sunglasses do not render the screen un-readable at certain angles. The 2 inch screen on my non-nav e90 head unit gives me fits while wearing sunglasses.
Happy to report that the iDrive screen is immune to Polarized sunglasses, so RayBan owners can rejoice.

The head-up display and the iPhone 5, different story.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM
BMW Platinum Visa Member

Quote:

It's a great car (though I miss my disco-ball rims, unavailable for the F30 at this time).

BJ

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM
BMW Platinum Visa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
I figured the concept of maniplating BMW logos with photoshop was "played" and ignored it out of respect to the deceased. It is older than the goats, and they died a while back.

Like Arnold Palmer playing golf, one hopes for a bit of the old magic, but the more you watch the more you realize his best work is behind him and you are left with memories of better times.

It is unfortunate that a new chassis designation doesn't bring new material.

Some things never get old (get it?).

BJ

Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
These cars are totally stock "Family Sedans"

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:

It is unfortunate that a new chassis designation doesn't bring new material...

We can change ///M, we really can! Example;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-04-10_2013.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	343504  
Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
I admire the extensive use of aluminum in the chassis, care to show us a picture of the twin turbos??
Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Good points CA, but I disagree in regard to the EPS (electric power steering). I can only think of one good reason for its existance and that is it might result in a few tenths more mpg. So doing adds to the cost, greatly increases the complexity, and completely separates the driver from the road. I am unable to imagine how some feedback gimmickry can recreate that connection.
For those who don't know, EPS used to use an electric powered power steering pump. The mechanical and hydraulic systems were otherwise the same as they've been for 50 years. In fact, total failure of the EPS system would still result in a steerable car.
Not any more. Now there is no steel connecting the driver with the wheels. The steering wheel is now a big...sensor. It senses which way you've turned it, how far and how fast. It sends this information to another of many computers (yes, there's one just for steering now!) where the computer looks at vehicle speed, direction, and stability data from the DSC computer and the computer decides how far to turn your steering rack via the stepper motor now replacing the input shaft on the steering box! Failure of this system will result in an unsteerable car. Of course, many redundant systems will ensure that there is never a failure...
This is sad and scary, in equal doses. What redundant systems?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I admire the extensive use of aluminum in the chassis, care to show us a picture of the twin turbos??

Bemo,
Study that photo that DSX posted carefully. This may be the last chance you ever get to see "Gertrude".

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Some things never get old (get it?).

BJ
I was hoping for at least "///L328iM" if not " ///L328TiCMxDrive", which I believe is Roman numerals for 42. Maybe the "C" can only be added when the F32 comes out...
... Which could be ///L428TiCMxDrive.
428i... Dude, you made it!
Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 09-27-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
I was hoping for at least "///L328iM" if not " ///L328TiCMxDrive", which I believe is Roman numerals for 42. Maybe the "C" can only be added when the F32 comes out...
... Which could be ///L428TiCMxDrive.
428i... Dude, you made it!
Have you been sampling off the production line again?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
This is sad and scary, in equal doses. What redundant systems?
The redundant systems which are there to ensure that nothing can ever go wrong...like went wrong on the 200 cars BMW recalled last Summer for EPS, um, glitches.
Speaking of 'feedback' through the steering wheel, here's a lead on where it's going.
http://www.mv.uni-kl.de/index.php?id=1492&L=1&S=0
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Whoa, long thread...

Did I miss anything?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline Sixer View Post
Whoa, long thread...

Did I miss anything?
Yes. Any argument about whether the shark fin antenna is a design flaw or not is hopelessly outdated, boltjaM3s has a few newbies nibbling but the old fish know better, and goats may be so far out they're now back in.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Bemo,
Study that photo that DSX posted carefully. This may be the last chance you ever get to see "Gertrude".
I'm genuinely touched that you remembered her name.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
No

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Whoa, long thread...

Did I miss anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
No
Oh yeah, one other thing, Kevin doesn't give a hoot about street cred, but I think he enjoys a little sky cred. Kilgore says he has no cred but on the other hand he's always telling us "chicks dig wagons" so I'm thinking at least his car has some cred.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
I'm genuinely touched that you remembered her name.
Sometimes a near photographic memory is a blessing; sometimes a curse.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 09-27-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
BMW Platinum Visa Member

Quote:
Whoa, long thread...

Did I miss anything?
I sold an F30. Intend to sell about 5 more before my work here is done.

BJ

Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

I knew we were going to like each other. Just took a little time.

In my attempts at humor on BF since 2006, I've been very right. So along with my 428i and M328i, I'm certain that someday there will be the ///L division making L318i,s too.

BJ
Cool Luke, Handed to You

Hey there guys, fear you still got it wrong here
Cuz youve twisted a Kum-ba-Ya song here.
Though I preach, educate,
Lay the facts right out straight--
Weve a failure to communicate.

We who covet the Ms must observe
without base models, huggin the curve.
Thered be too far to grow
to build Ms on the go
so we offer the props you deserve.

So if you dash about on the prow-l
with a coif and a manicure, scow-l
at the zest we all got
in our M (yeah, we Hot!)
Like the Mansons, were all Family now-hell!