Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
M-Sport Clean (Fog Delete)

A couple of months ago I considered replacement blank fog grilles to give the front a more clean and sharp look, not dissimilar to the E60 M5. The pre-LCI F10 fogs are unfortunately halogen. I had no interest in messing with an aftermarket kit again or replace with Xenon-look bulbs. Additionally, never had functional use of the fogs.

This look and route will not be for everyone but it's absolutely reversible and completes the look of the M-Sport front face.

For this, I used the M550D OEM grilles which were perfect - apart from the silver accent which to me breaks the flow. Note how the two grilles are different in that one grille is open while the other closed. They are both solid molded pieces of plastic so it's not as if there is a separate backing plate on the closed grille. More on this later.

The silver accents clip off from the back. This made it easy to address getting it to a color more suitable to my objective. Took it down with 320>600>1000 grit sand paper, a couple of coats of primer and 4 coats of flat black bumper paint.

I let it dry for a couple of days before I installed the accents back. Busy at work including weekends so it took about 2 weeks from when I received the OEM grilles to the final product. Quite happy with the way they turned out although the flat black I used is slightly darker than the surrounding plastic. I considered sanding it lightly with 1000 grit to get a more matte look but decided against it.

So onto the installation. The grilles have 6 clips securing them in and you have to work them a bit to get them to release. The one on the left side of the car is easier to handle but you need a hook type tool to get a good grip. Depending on what you use (I used medium gauge speaker wire) you could damage the grille on the pressure points as they are secured pretty tight.

Once opened, take out two screws holding the fog light housing in and release the holding clip on the back. You cannot see the clip but you can definitely feel it. Unclip, twist the bulb out from the rear and the housing comes right out. Use care when taking out to not scratch any paint. (ask me how I know)

Leave the bulb in place connected to the harness and find a good location to secure it. I used the back of the fog light housing plastic frame and positioned it such that the glass bulb is not in contact with any surface. You want to also weather protect the wire and harness up to the glass bulb.

Note that the left side grille is 'open' and the right is 'closed'. Interestingly, the original grilles with the fogs are designed the same way. Left is open and the right has a back plate flush with the grille so is completely closed.

On the left side before reinstalling the new M550D grilles, you may want to reinstall the two screws that held the fog light in place - otherwise there are two screw opening which make for an unfinished look.

Clean the area and push the new grilles in. Easy as that and it looks fantastic.

They definitely make the car pop especially on Alpine White. It has more 'presence' when you step back and take a look. Last pic is one with the fogs for a bit of a comparison - funny how the fogs now look out of place on the M-Sport front

cheers
Old 09-22-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550I xDrive M Sport
Looks good!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Very Nice! Many have complained of the "frog" light look of the M-Sport fog lights. At least you did something about it
Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
M-Sport Clean (Fog Delete)

Very smooth.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Great job.

And you are in Japan. Please show us more of your country and what it's like to drive a F10 there. Streets you park on, the neighborhoods you go through, work/ play places etc.

Pics please!

Last edited by octopump; 09-22-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post
great job.

And you are in japon. Please show us more of your country and what it's like to drive a f10 there. Streets you park on, the neighbors hoods you go through, work/ play places etc,

pics please!
+1

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
That is a pretty cool mod. How popular are BMWs in Japan?

BMW CCA Member
Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Great job! I didn't think it would look as good as it does.
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirror Glass|Coded
BMW CCA member
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
Looks good! I did the same thing to my car a while back.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Thanks all for the comments. I have to say I am really liking the mod and just admiring the F10 M-Sport a while ago parking the car when I got home.

Glad to see the interest in Japan I moved up here to Tokyo in 1997 and a year later jumped into the marque with an E36 and never looked back. German cars are very popular here probably see more mercs though but there are plenty of BMWs with active communities. Here's the front shop of Studie, a BMW tuner famous in Japan. Great bunch of experts and enthusiasts.

They just released a tune for the N62 (700nM) which I'll be looking at. The green Z4 in the back has ran the Nurburgring several times.

Roads are very good quality but speed limits too low (60Kph highway and 80Kph on the paid expressways). People in Tokyo generally drive faster as they do in larger cities but I've been pulled over plenty of times and license pulled once.

For those who may be familiar with the city some, I live in Shingawa area right on Toyko bay. I work in Marunouchi district a stone's throw from the Emperors palace and several blocks from MacArthur's General Headquarters. My drive home takes me by Tokyo tower.

The 'Sky Tree' a newly built 2nd Tokyo Tower. Pretty impressive up close.

There are some good places to drive in the city but the traffic is bad. Nicest areas are around the Kanagawa and Shizuoka areas - Hakone, Mt. Fuji and my personal favorite the Miura peninsula near Yokosuka the US Naval Base. Some random pics below of some of the area.

The E39 and F10 parked in the same spot some 6 years apart.

Here's a road trip I did to Nagoya to get an ECU tune done on the old 540. Some pictures of the trip there and details of the tune and experience. E39 content if that's ok. Hope you enjoy

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=12

oh almost forgot, can't talk about Japan without some of this

Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
That's a nice write up Demas, thank you for taking the time. Love the pictures.

Japan looks like a different planet. How are you doing with the language?

Is the use of Radar Detectors legal in Japan? How does the Police predominantly monitor traffic: radar or laser?

Last edited by octopump; 09-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Nice mod and SWEET pics!!! Very kind of you to share those great pics with your bretherin on the fest! Thank you.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Thanks for the pictures!

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.