Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
What to replace while exhaust and driveshaft are off?

My flex disc/guibo is starting to go. No vibrations or clunks, but it's squishy to the touch and I can see the edges are starting to fray, so it's time to replace. I also have a small tranny leak that I'm pretty sure is coming from the selector rod seal (I hope!), so that's going to get replaced while the drive shaft is out of the way.

I like to be proactive on maintenance, so if there are other things that I can replace while the exhaust and drive shaft are off, I like to get as much stuff out of the way as I can. So, at 125k miles, what else should be done?

I think my center support bearing is fine, but should it be swapped as long as I'm under there?

Same thing with tranny mounts -- should I just swap them while I have access?

Shifter rod joint?


Anything else?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,830
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I'd do the tranny mounts... easy and inexpensive. Go with something like Rogue Engineering or whatever else is popular in the aftermarket these days (other than UUC). Firming these up actually helps smooth out shifts. I've had RE in mine since the car was new.

Anything you can reach that's cheap... why not?
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Go with something like Rogue Engineering or whatever else is popular in the aftermarket these days (other than UUC).
You think RE over the M3 tranny mounts? The M3 mounts are only $14/ea and are supposed to be an upgrade. Looks like RE are $55 for the pair.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Anything you can reach that's cheap... why not?
My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:15 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,830
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I'd pass...

Non-M


M3


Rogue Engineering


'nuff said?
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,347
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Center driveshaft carrier bearing
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Center driveshaft carrier bearing
This^^^^^
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Does the center support bearing really fail? If I got the diff bushing and guibo before they failed (which I think I have), shouldn't the center support bearing be fine?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,347
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottji View Post
Does the center support bearing really fail? If I got the diff bushing and guibo before they failed (which I think I have), shouldn't the center support bearing be fine?
Bearings wear over time like anything else. You might be fine, but wouldn't you be pretty po'd if it did fail considering it is about $39? I have seen them fail, it ain't pretty.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...501257ae46.htm
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 PM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Bearings wear over time like anything else. You might be fine, but wouldn't you be pretty po'd if it did fail considering it is about $39? I have seen them fail, it ain't pretty.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...501257ae46.htm
Yup. and if it fails at high speed, you WILL be buying a new driveshaft, and, it might just take your nuts off. Sounds like a deal at $40 now, doesn't it? In all seriousness you don't want to do this job twice to save just a little bit of cash. Been there, done that. I learned my lesson a long time ago.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 PM
CRJ900 CRJ900 is offline
70 428 SCJ, 04 325xi
Location: New Market, MN
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Why do you think your flex disc/guibo is starting to go? you say it does not vibrate, and no chunks are missing, but you think it is squishy to the touch. Is it bad or not? I do not understand the logic of replacing parts that are not bad. Approach this like a Mechanic and not a enthusiast. Is it bad or not? I am not against preventative maintenance, but seriously, how deep is your wallet? are you throwing money at the car just because something you read on an internet forum told you to? Kinda like the '99-2000 cars had reverse problems, but later models did not. But if you read the forums, all BMW 3 series cars have reverse issues and always will
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,347
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ900 View Post
Why do you think your flex disc/guibo is starting to go? you say it does not vibrate, and no chunks are missing, but you think it is squishy to the touch. Is it bad or not? I do not understand the logic of replacing parts that are not bad. Approach this like a Mechanic and not a enthusiast. Is it bad or not? I am not against preventative maintenance, but seriously, how deep is your wallet? are you throwing money at the car just because something you read on an internet forum told you to? Kinda like the '99-2000 cars had reverse problems, but later models did not. But if you read the forums, all BMW 3 series cars have reverse issues and always will
You are an idiot. I've worked on more E46's than I can count and there is a LOT of maintenance items that need to be replaced BEFORE they fail. Guibos are the link between the driveshaft and trans output shaft, they take a ton of abuse and over time wear out. Believe it or not.

I don't wait till my car overheats to tell me I need a new cooling system either. Easier to replace it on MY terms than on its own terms.
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Yup. and if it fails at high speed, you WILL be buying a new driveshaft, and, it might just take your nuts off. Sounds like a deal at $40 now, doesn't it? In all seriousness you don't want to do this job twice to save just a little bit of cash. Been there, done that. I learned my lesson a long time ago.
Ha, when you put it like that, hard to argue. Added to the list, thanks for the education.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ900 View Post
Why do you think your flex disc/guibo is starting to go? you say it does not vibrate, and no chunks are missing, but you think it is squishy to the touch. Is it bad or not? I do not understand the logic of replacing parts that are not bad. Approach this like a Mechanic and not a enthusiast. Is it bad or not? I am not against preventative maintenance, but seriously, how deep is your wallet? are you throwing money at the car just because something you read on an internet forum told you to? Kinda like the '99-2000 cars had reverse problems, but later models did not. But if you read the forums, all BMW 3 series cars have reverse issues and always will
Besides being soft to the touch, it is missing parts/sort of frayed around the edges. It feels like I could rip chunks off with my bare hands. Definitely compromised and time to replace.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 PM
CRJ900 CRJ900 is offline
70 428 SCJ, 04 325xi
Location: New Market, MN
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Well, since we have the exhaust out, why not replace that. Or, lets replace the drive shaft, exhaust manifolds, heads, block, etc etc etc. I've been a mechanic for 30 years, and one thing a good mechanic does is diagnose when it is the proper time to replace a part or not.
Internet forums can be a wealth of info, and also cesspool of garbage. The OP asked what other items he should throw money at while he is in there, and seriously most of the recommendations where regurgitated internet crap.

Calling me an idiot is pretty harsh, don't ya think? this is my opinion and you don't know me personally
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ900 View Post
Well, since we have the exhaust out, why not replace that. Or, lets replace the drive shaft, exhaust manifolds, heads, block, etc etc etc. I've been a mechanic for 30 years, and one thing a good mechanic does is diagnose when it is the proper time to replace a part or not.
Internet forums can be a wealth of info, and also cesspool of garbage. The OP asked what other items he should throw money at while he is in there, and seriously most of the recommendations where regurgitated internet crap.

Calling me an idiot is pretty harsh, don't ya think? this is my opinion and you don't know me personally
PM me your address and when I get my guibo out I'll send to you for inspection. If you determine it's in good shape I will come on here and tell everyone you were right.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
CRJ900 CRJ900 is offline
70 428 SCJ, 04 325xi
Location: New Market, MN
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Your missing my point. Your original post stated " No vibrations or clunks, but it's squishy to the touch and I can see the edges are starting to fray" what are you using as a reference to determine your flex disc/guibo is starting to go? It's your money, but answer honestly, are you replacing it because it's bad, or are you replacing it for the hell of it? If you want to replace it go ahead. If you are serious, I will PM you and you can send me the flex disc, if it's good I'll put it in my spare parts supply.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,347
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ900 View Post
and also cesspool of garbage.
Ah yes, Like your posts.
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ900 View Post
Your missing my point. Your original post stated " No vibrations or clunks, but it's squishy to the touch and I can see the edges are starting to fray" what are you using as a reference to determine your flex disc/guibo is starting to go? It's your money, but answer honestly, are you replacing it because it's bad, or are you replacing it for the hell of it? If you want to replace it go ahead. If you are serious, I will PM you and you can send me the flex disc, if it's good I'll put it in my spare parts supply.
Well, you know what they say about arguing on the internet.

I think the issue is that I was under my car recently, I looked at the undercarriage with a flashlight like I do every time I change my oil, and I felt my flex disc with my hand and inspected it visually, along with a host of other things. I just went back into my garage and pulled a chunk of flex disc off with my hand -- I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen. You were not under my car yesterday (at least not that I know of ). I have not been a mechanic for 30 years, like you have, and no doubt you know more about cars than me. But at least give me the benefit of the doubt on this one. I know what the rubber bits should feel like and look like, and this thing is on its way out. Could I get another 5k-10k miles out of it before something catastrophic happens? Maybe, but since it's failing, might as well take care of it now rather than wait until it fails and places additional stress on other bushings/mounts/bearings. That's my thought, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 AM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ900 View Post
Well, since we have the exhaust out, why not replace that. Or, lets replace the drive shaft, exhaust manifolds, heads, block, etc etc etc. I've been a mechanic for 30 years, and one thing a good mechanic does is diagnose when it is the proper time to replace a part or not.
Internet forums can be a wealth of info, and also cesspool of garbage. The OP asked what other items he should throw money at while he is in there, and seriously most of the recommendations where regurgitated internet crap.

Calling me an idiot is pretty harsh, don't ya think? this is my opinion and you don't know me personally
I agree that calling you an idiot is a little harsh, but I would also not call you a mechanic. This is the part we are referencing:

http://oembimmerparts.com/product_p/...454-410e46.htm

It costs $59. If I went to a shop and they told me that a critical rubber/fabric part of the drivetrain that has chunks missing was ok, or that it is ok for that part to be soft, I would walk out and tell all of my friends to avoid them like the plague. You may have been a mechanic for 30 years, but in this particular instance, you have no clue as to what you are talking about. We don't appreciate poor advice around here, and what you are offering is poor and irresponsible advice. What we offered is backed by years of experience and personal knowledge with these cars. I would seriously suggest going back to Lincoln Tech for a refresher course.

Last edited by SJBimmer; 09-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottji View Post
Ha, when you put it like that, hard to argue. Added to the list, thanks for the education.
No problem! Don't forget to put reference marks on everything, so that it goes back in exactly as it came out, and install the guibo in the correct orientation. You don't want anything to be out of phase, and have to tear it all apart again.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-22-2012, 12:39 PM
chansta chansta is offline
Learning Daily
Location: SOCAL
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
if you can pull a big chunk off of it with your hands your car would have done that long before you even inspected the flex disc.

CRJ900 theres no point in trying in this forum. there are a certain number of people who consider themselves master "DIY" and think they have nothing to learn from people who do this for a living as a professional. and these individuals have hundreds of followers who swallow their inexperienced diy information because of their forum post count.
__________________
iATN
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,930
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
At about 123,00 miles my guibo was toast, took everything apart and of course removed and replaced the center bearing. It looked as good as new, but for the money, it seemed foolish not to replace it. Afterwards, the driveline was instantly MUCH smoother. Buy only quality parts and you will probably never need to replace either again.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Scottji's Avatar
Scottji Scottji is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 612
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chansta View Post
if you can pull a big chunk off of it with your hands your car would have done that long before you even inspected the flex disc.
Um, well obviously the car didn't take it off, since I just pulled a piece of it off by hand.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-22-2012, 02:47 PM
CRJ900 CRJ900 is offline
70 428 SCJ, 04 325xi
Location: New Market, MN
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
chansta, you are very correct. I understand as a BMW enthusiast and owner we tend to go above and beyond when it comes to taking care of our cars. I understand I may have ruffled some feathers with my posts.
And SJBimmer, what exactly makes you an expert on the subject? So you don't think I am a Mechanic. Fine, thats your opinion. But it's important you understand the difference between a parts changer and Mechanic. I am just offering an alternative point of view. What a real Mechanic does is determine the serviceability of a part. And the responses the OP got back were pretty much, "well, I did this on my car so you should to, and hell, why your in there replace this, this, etc"
This thread reminds me of the one guy that questioned 7000 mile oil changes. Nobody could offer any evidence as to why 15000 mile oil had to be changed at 7000 miles. The only answer in a nutshell, was that everyone thought it had to be changed sooner just because. Never mind what those engineers say.

Last edited by CRJ900; 09-22-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM
SJBimmer's Avatar
SJBimmer SJBimmer is offline
Living Life At The Beach
Location: In This Place
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ900 View Post
chansta, you are very correct. I understand as a BMW enthusiast and owner we tend to go above and beyond when it comes to taking care of our cars. I understand I may have ruffled some feathers with my posts.
And SJBimmer, what exactly makes you an expert on the subject? So you don't think I am a Mechanic. Fine, thats your opinion. But it's important you understand the difference between a parts changer and Mechanic. I am just offering an alternative point of view. What a real Mechanic does is determine the serviceability of a part. And the responses the OP got back were pretty much, "well, I did this on my car so you should to, and hell, why your in there replace this, this, etc"
This thread reminds me of the one guy that questioned 7000 mile oil changes. Nobody could offer any evidence as to why 15000 mile oil had to be changed at 7000 miles. The only answer in a nutshell, was that everyone thought it had to be changed sooner just because. Never mind what those engineers say.
What makes me an expert is my mechanical engineering degree, and the fact that I posses common sense. The serviceability of the part has been determined. There are chunks missing, the rubber is soft, and the edges of the part of fraying. My friend works at a BMW dealership and this is a common failure item at around 100K in our area. It may fail sooner if the car is in an area of high heat, or if the car has been aggressively driven. I will no longer respond to any of your posts, because I am getting the impression that you are a troll. I also retract my statement that calling you an idiot was a little harsh. Judging by your ludicrous statements in your last post, it is clearly apparent that you are. Apparently, the public school system in Minnesota has failed you, because your comprehension skills are nonexistent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms